Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using Max/MSP or the like?

Clifton

I saw some of my Music Tech friends at uni using this program Max/MSP to do some intensely wacky things with live sound, and I have to say I'm quite fascinated with the concept & possibilites of this program, especially on stage with a laptop (as I've seen it used).

I asked them about it and they told me there's a poor-man's equivalent called Pure Data Extended, which is free & open-source and supposedly equally as powerful as Max/MSP. So I've been trying it out the last couple of days and I can't make head or tail of it, but anyway, I was wondering if any of the forumites here use Max/MSP or the like? And if so, what for?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to do lots of work on max/msp.. I made an installation for SIGGRAPH, and also did some commercial installations based on max/msp and jitter. (jitter is a live video add on) I only use it as an alternative to programming. It takes forever to do anything... The closest thing to max/msp I can think of is electronics. If you like making your own circuitboards and stuff, then you might like mas/msp.

If you just want interesting sounds, a mod synth platform might suite you better. Like Reaktor. Max/msp is for people who like designing oscillators and stuff. Or for people who need to interface a lot with external non-MIDI input. Whatever it is, it takes lots of time to get anything decent from max/msp. Not just a few days, I'm talking weeks if not months.

I've been watching this app for a few years, but balked at buying it, because I doubt (a) my ability to pick up the skills, and (b) having enough time to devote to (a) and to further development. But I saw a note recently (in KM?) that the newest version has a friendlier interface, so it's on my short list again.

Pure Data Extended sounds interesting, but it seems the for-dummies improvements they've made to max/msp might be what I chiefly need.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I've used Max/MSP as a MIDI mapper for my MOTU MIDI Express 128 interface. I've also used it to try to make my own audio-MIDI converter for my viola. Miller Puckette's own fiddle~ MSP object eases the job considerably - it does a fantastic job of extracting MIDI Note Number data out of the incoming audio. However, I was unable to overcome the final stumbling block - how to scale the audio amplitude to MIDI Volume or MIDI Velocity. There is some serious math going on in that process that I couldn't understand.

Since I still have it and my now-ancient iBook, I'll probably use Max/MSP to cobble together a SP-404-like sample playback app, for playback of prepared audio clips. Kind of like a poor man's Live.

I used to do lots of work on max/msp.. I made an installation for SIGGRAPH, and also did some commercial installations based on max/msp and jitter. (jitter is a live video add on) I only use it as an alternative to programming. It takes forever to do anything... The closest thing to max/msp I can think of is electronics. If you like making your own circuitboards and stuff, then you might like mas/msp.

If you just want interesting sounds, a mod synth platform might suite you better. Like Reaktor. Max/msp is for people who like designing oscillators and stuff. Or for people who need to interface a lot with external non-MIDI input. Whatever it is, it takes lots of time to get anything decent from max/msp. Not just a few days, I'm talking weeks if not months.

Hey magron, took your advice and checked out the demo of Reaktor 5.1, and you're absolutely right, Reaktor is really the kind of thing I was after. Not to say I'm abandoning Pure Data just yet, but Reaktor is now definitely on my Christmas list (although it looks like they're about to bring out v6, might hold out for that). Thanks a heap!

Archived