Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PA compensation

David R

Maybe the more seasoned giggers can help me out with this.

I've been running a pretty much software-only live rig since last Fall (Axiom -> Key Rig on PC, 1/8" to 1/4" mono out). It's served me well so far, with only a couple of minor glitches along the way. I just got the Sonik Tank group buy, and decided to run Sampletank with the Piano Collection for a cocktail gig a couple of nights ago. The function had rented a PA, so I plugged into the mixer. No matter what acoustic piano patch I called up, the attacks were very loud and the rest of the sound was tinny. The Rhodes patches I liked at home didn't sound the same in the room. I couldn't find an EQ setting on the mixer nor the software to match the sound I got through my Grado headphones or my Yorkville keyboard amp. I've run direct into other mixers and systems before with no significant difference in tonal qualities of my software.

So, what do you guys do, in software or hardware, to negotiate these changes? Do you ride your EQ all night?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moral of the story. ALWAYS bring and use your own equipment. Typically, rented or house PA equipment in trash.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Not sure it's phase cancellation, kanker. I've always run mono, and even in checking out the new software at home in mono through my Yorkville amp, I didn't have this problem.

It may well have been the fact that the PA was delivered about 10 minutes before start time, not allowing for a soundcheck. :)

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I've had situations where a sound man used way too much compression on the KB. Totally messed up piano sounds and anything percussive but organ and slow attack things were OK.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived