Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bulk Dump retrieve

Andre Lower

OK, call me stupid, but I am stuck with a problem and perhaps someone here can give me a clue.

Before selling my beloved Roland XP-30 I performed a bulk dump of all User Patches and Performances. Said Bulk Dump was recorded in Cakewalk as a MIDI file. I had the impression that any Patch/Performance editor software would be capable of "reading" this MIDI file and converting it into a display of the parameters (for instance, Performance 1 features patches x and y, with ranges k and z, etc...) which is all I wanted to register in the first place, to allow reproduction of the same performances in my next synth (Fantom X7).

After spending many hours with various softwares, including MIDIquest, I am about to give up.

Assuming my choice of user performance/patch "registering" means was bad and that there is no way to retrieve all my work from these MIDI files, at least I'd like to know what should I have done to "preserve" these precious information, so as not to make the same mistake ever again :mad::(

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's a bit silly to "reply to myself", but perhaps someone else can find the information useful: After lots of research, I managed to retrieve the USER data saved in a bulk dump file! An old friend pointed me to a website where I could get hold of a functional version of SoundDiver, a software that is able to read the bulk dump and exhibit the Parameters for all Patches and Performances.

In case anyone here has USER data from a Roland JV/XP series synth, you can access it through the software downloadable from this link:

http://200.205.192.202/ftp/coord/ROLANDSpTcMus/JV1010_SoundDiver.zip

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived