Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I went shopping today...

PBBPaul

My wife alerted me to an ad on her company internal website a couple of days ago. Somebody was selling all of their gear. So I called yesterday and bought it all today.

Here's what I ended up with:

An Epiphone Dot semi hollow from I'm guessing the late 90's

A mid-80's Squier Telecaster in near perfect shape

A beat-up looking but very playable Yamaha FG200 acoustic

A Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 amp with 4-channel floor switch

A Peavey Blazer 158 practice amp

A guitar stand, two hard cases, one soft case, cables, strap, tuner, headphones, picks, etc...

All the gear except for the Yamaha is in exceptionally good condition. The amps in particular are like brand new.

So what do you think I should have spent for this lot? :eek::)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that H&K the $500 amp or the $1500 head? Based on the rest of the gear I would guess the $500 amp. So I would hazard a guess of $6-700 tops would be fair. (Like I said - it is just a wild guess.) Don't tell me you walked out for 3 bills.

Top to bottom:

$150-200 (Which model?)

$100-$150

$50-100

$250

??

Free

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I did some research before I went over and here's what I figured...

Epi Dot - Up to ~$350 in very good condition.

Squier Tele - Up to ~$200

Yamaha - ~$125

H&K - ~$300(Yes it's the $500 one but is pristine and includes the footswitch and accessories)

Peavey - $25

Tuner, stands, cables, etc... ~$25

I gave the guy $900 for the lot. I was primarily interested in the Dot and the Tele. The Squier is Japanese built from the mid 80s and those are actually in a fair amount of demand - typically going for $500 and up.

Anyway, it's fun to have some new toys to play with. I've been jonesing for a Tele for a while and this one is remarkably nice from what I can tell so far. I do need to sell some stuff though.

See, I'm frugal as can be. I figure if I end up not gelling with something I want to be able to resell it and not loose any money in the process.

Which Epi Dot is it? They range from $200 to $1300 new.

Mid 80's Squire I'm guessing is probably worth more than current models.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

See, I'm frugal as can be. I figure if I end up not gelling with something I want to be able to resell it and not loose any money in the process.

Which Epi Dot is it? They range from $200 to $1300 new.

Mid 80's Squire I'm guessing is probably worth more than current models.

I share your frugality and have already listed a couple of items on eBay. The Epi is the Dot Deluxe. They typically sell for around $300 used. The mid-80's Squier surprised me both in how nice a guitar it is as well as the current value. All that I've seen for sale have been priced over $500.

Well, without knowing the details on everything I just went with the assumption that the Epi and Squire are "budget" instruments, then further assumed the same for the rest of the lot. (Maybe the Squire and the Peavey were originally part of a gig pack? At least that's how my mind was working.)

So off the top of my head I used these "used" prices:

Epi $150

Squire $150

Yamaha $50

H&K $200

Peavey $25

remainder $50

For a "grand" total of $625. Obviously I lowballed everything, came up way short on the solidbodies and didn't give the H&K its due respect.

Good catch on that tele. :thu: Hope this doesn't mean your Ric will get lonely now. :o:D

[As a side note I've noticed a lot of people bailing out of music recently and selling their whole lot. (At least in the one state that's already in recession.) Lots of bargains to be had.]

The mid-80's Squier surprised me both in how nice a guitar it is as well as the current value. All that I've seen for sale have been priced over $500.

Makes me kind of sorry I sold mine a number of years back - never thought I would utter those words about a Squire! Actually it wasn't a bad guitar at all - played well and sounded just fine.

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

I'm actually more pumped about the Tele than any of the other gear. It's much more solid than I expected. I'm really impressed. All the guitars need some TLC. They're all dirty and need a good setting up. Once done, I expect to be pretty happy with this lot.

Archived