Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What guitar should everyone have

dead mike

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone ought to have at least one of the following guitars in their lifetime.

1. a GOOD Les Paul. The bad ones, and there are bad ones, will make you wanna quit playing altogether. A good one will inspire you to play more.

2. a decent Tele. The elegant simplicity of a Telecaster, and the variety of sounds you can get out of one, should be a made into a college course called Electric Guitar 101.

3. a REALLY good Strat. After you've played a really good one, it becomes obvious how mediocre most of them are.

3. A good Gretsch Tennessean, to see how they have elements of both the Gibson and Fender sounds in them at the same time.

4. A good Guild F series maple jumbo six-string. There is no sweeter sounding acoustic guitar anywhere.

When you've played these guitars, you have a basis to know what good tone is.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

If we're talkin solid body electric guitars, there are actually three;

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Telecaster

All the rest are variations on the theme.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I have to echo Fingerstyle Jim, I just got my Chris Carrington handmade classical and it blows away anything I have ever played. The sound and playability are unbelievable.

As far as electrics I don't see how you can find your "final solution" guitar without trying a Strat, Tele, Les Paul, and ES-335. Start with these basics then if your still not satisfied at least you know you've played what are considered the benchmark guitars.

I'm sure Gretsches and Jazzmasters are nice for what they do, but I don't think everyone should have one.

I guess the steel string acoustic benchmark is still Martin, Taylor is right there too. I happened to choose a Taylor because the particular guitar just spoke to me. If I wasn't happy with the Taylor I would go the handmade route, or maybe a Collings.

I think it depends on the style of music you play, but for 90% of it, a good quality Strat is the way to go. If you can only have one, it needs to be something that is very versatile and a Strat fits the bill.

Have to agree , the Strat is the most versatile if you could only have one axe. Especially with the signature out of phase sound that it gets. By tweaking the tone controls and using different positions you can get just about everything. Add to that a whammy bar and you can't beat it.

I think it depends on the style of music you play, but for 90% of it, a good quality Strat is the way to go. If you can only have one, it needs to be something that is very versatile and a Strat fits the bill.

That's exactly what I was thinking yesterday, but I never posted it. Thanks, Craig.

Shut up and play.

Why....a Strat...of course!! :):D

My favorite strat I bought new in 1989 from Rhythem City in Atlanta.

I have changed out the pups and put a new pick guard on it, but it has aged quite well.

It's a natural ash Strat and the color now is perfect.

It's hard to believe that bad boy will be 20 years old in 09'! :)

Randy

Hmmm...probably shouldn't put this up...but here's my main strat.

It started out it's life as a 1989 Strat Plus, but it has been enhanced...see above.

This Strat is like your favorite old pair of jeans, it just feels right. :D

http://b1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01026/14/87/1026567841_l.jpg

"Just play!"

I think that it's important for every guitar player to own a guitar that can be left out, dragged about and explored by kids friends and anyone who's car or cottage you forget it in. Perhaps an older Ovation with a cutout, need not have a pickup but locking machines and good strings.

Something nobody will feel nervous about picking up and trying out.

.. just a thought.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Not looking to cause a stir or anything... :)

...but my Strat is the probably the least used guitar.

I would not be very happy if that was the only guitar I had...though as with everything, I would make do with it (probably would need to add a few pedals/stomps and whatnot).

It just doesn't have the warmth (or crunch) of a humbucker guitar....which is what I prefer.

But I do really like my Tele '52 RI...AFA single-coil guitars go...it just seems to be more ballsy than the Strat.

If I had to have one guitar...it would be a humbucker guitar with PUs that were NOT too over-wound and very high-output.

Most solid body guitars would do for me...but I kinda' wonder if a nice semi-hollow wouldn't offer even more variety than a solid body...?

The few semi-hollow guitars that I have, just seem to offer a wider tonal pallet to work from.IF I only were to have one guitar. ;)

But like it's already been said by Craig...it really depends a lot on the music...and your own playing style. :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Definitely a JC856

Hey come on guys, it's the most versatile!

it has a DOG EAR P-90 in the bridge position, the neck pickup is perfect for chicken pickin', and there is some real beef, quack, etc, to be had from other combinations!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06199.jpg

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

If we're talkin solid body electric guitars, there are actually three;

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Telecaster

All the rest are variations on the theme.

Agreed. These are the 3 basic food groups of electric guitar. Significant subcategories exist, such as semi-hollow (ES335) & archtop (any L5 or derivative), but the 3 Don lists really cover the basic territory of The Electric Guitar.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

And, for those who don't know, Strats are warm, fat, crunchy, ducky, edgy.....they are very versitle.

You just have to have a decent amp. Also, you have to know how to set the amp, and play the Strat properly. It WILL do it all. Just listen to Jimi's work....sweet, warm, harsh, crunchy...not that all of us could play like Jimi!!!! But, the Strat will do a lot.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived