Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How's the guitar gain?

Hardtail

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You CAN'T HAVE TOO MUCH GAIN playing Crossroads!!! :rawk: :rawk:

Keith, your playing has progressed DRAMATICALLY in the year or so I've heard your music. Congrats on reaping the payoff gained by doing a TON OF GOOD OLD FASHIONED HARD WORK AND PRACTICE!! :thu: :thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Thanks guys. I realize you've heard this tune from me about a zillion times but I'm trying to mix a good (and somewhat final) cut this weekend and needed some input.

I'm purposely keeping the tone a little on the muddy side to let the bass line punch through a little more. From what my ears can tell, that's what Clapton did.

Yea, Jack Bruce's Bass always "punched thru", and was a crutial part of Cream's sound.

How'd they do it??

Dueling Marshall Stacks!!!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/cream-fillmore-67.jpg

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Needs more cowbell!! :laugh: J/K LOL!!

Seriously, it sounds great, I think you nailed it, especially the solo. I don't think that theres too much gain, I will echo what Don said about never having too much gain while playing that song.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Don't know about gain, but it does sound a little bit compressed to me. Other than that, keep it up!

I think my amp just doesn't come through like it should.

Since the last recording, I turned the amp's tone controls down a bit because I'm learning that they're very sensitive on my amp and I don't have to throttle them.

I updated my recording putting a "virtual amp" on the guitar part. For the most part, I think it sounds better. I'll have to tweak with it some but it's an improvement.

I'm coming to the opinion that one doesn't necessarily need an amp to do any recording (at least the simple stuff like I'm doing).

I'm coming to the opinion that one doesn't necessarily need an amp to do any recording (at least the simple stuff like I'm doing).
Man, the sound of the distorted electric guitar must be one of the most difficult things to record.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Man, the sound of the distorted electric guitar must be one of the most difficult things to record.

It is for me. What you guys hear on my tracks isn't necessarily what comes out of my amp. Of course, I'm going direct with the amp and not mic'ing it.

I'm purposely keeping the tone a little on the muddy side to let the bass line punch through a little more. From what my ears can tell, that's what Clapton did.

I'd think what you'd want to do is stay away from the bass' space, which might mean to bring down the bass, push up mid + treble controls on the amp.

Yes I think there's too mugh gain on the rhythm parts. I'd take away some distortion, and bring the volume of the amp up, especially on the main riff parts... lower your guitar volume, then bring it up on your solo? Hit a boost pedal?... the bass is punchy enough as it is, I think.

My MySpace Space

It is for me. What you guys hear on my tracks isn't necessarily what comes out of my amp. Of course, I'm going direct with the amp and not mic'ing it.

Oh, man, I think you will want to mic it. Most clips I've heard of people using the direct-out jacks from tube amps sound fizzy, harsh.

I believe you. While my GF isn't here during the holidays I plan to experiment w/ recording mic'ing the amp. I've done these experiments before and they're extremely frustrating and fatiguing.

My MySpace Space

:thu: In the little bit of recording that I've done, I would agree 100%! I normally like the gain on my PV Classic 30 maxed, but lately have found myself dialing it back a bit and still feeling comfortable with the amount of distortion. My new Carvin has so much gain that I have it dialed down to about half, and its still almost too much. But I still need to mess around with it to get the most I can out of it.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

The gain is okay, but get off the middle position on your guitar and onto the bridge pickup for the riffs, and the neck pickup for the leads.

Really? Clapton gets real muddy on the "Wheels of Fire" version. I think he's hanging on the neck P/U throughout that entire tune.

The gain is okay, but get off the middle position on your guitar and onto the bridge pickup for the riffs, and the neck pickup for the leads.

Really? Clapton gets real muddy on the "Wheels of Fire" version. I think he's hanging on the neck P/U throughout that entire tune.

My understanding (and I could have been mistaken all these years) was that Clapton got those tones by only using the neck pup. It gave the guitar that thick, sultry sound.

My understanding (and I could have been mistaken all these years) was that Clapton got those tones by only using the neck pup. It gave the guitar that thick, sultry sound.

That's my understanding.. at least for this tune.

Now on White Room, I can't recall what P/U he uses (or even what guitar) but I generally like to play that with the "hotter" bridge P/U (for the most part).

don't know much about EC, but a lot of the Cream and blues strat stuff I've heard of his sound like neck p/up...

Sorry HT, when I wrote my first post I hadn't read you were already having better results w/ the virtual amp.

Yeah, I'm under the impression vitual amps/POD's/mic'd tube amps are a better option than most tube-amp direct-out jacks I've heard or heard about.

My MySpace Space

Sorry HT, when I wrote my first post I hadn't read you were already having better results w/ the virtual amp.

Don't sweat it. I'm new at this mixing crap. Over time I'll get better at it.

It's fun. Also, it's helpful when I listen back to see what I played wrong and fix it. Sometimes I can hear my playing more clearly when I'm listening to a recorded track.

Sometimes I can hear my playing more clearly when I'm listening to a recorded track.

"You don't know how you look till ya' get your picture took." I'll tell ya' HT...you got the licks and feel bud... Nice work...

It's fun. Also, it's helpful when I listen back to see what I played wrong and fix it. Sometimes I can hear my playing more clearly when I'm listening to a recorded track.

Yeah I find that. I also hear the good stuff, as well as the bad stuff when I listen back to a recording. Sometimes I'm just focused on playing it and not paying too much attention to how it sounds.. Does that make sense? :-)

Yeah I find that. I also hear the good stuff, as well as the bad stuff when I listen back to a recording. Sometimes I'm just focused on playing it and not paying too much attention to how it sounds.. Does that make sense? :-)

Makes sense to me.

Archived