Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just traded for a Hammond X5

DafDuc

Gave up a Wavestation and a QSR. Love that craigslist.

Any X5 users out there? What should I expect?

Is it worth trying to find a Leslie 760 cab?

And how do I dump my QSR's user bank (Patchman patches) so I can use it in my QS-8.1? will a sequencer accept as sysex dump, or do I have to get librarian software?

Preemptive clarification: For those of you concerned about Patchman Matt's intellectual property rights, I *WILL* be reinitializing the QSR before I turn it over. The buyer's not a breath control guy anyhow - apparently we're few and far between.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cos it was there...

And seriously, where would I find someone would trade an XK for a QSR and a Wavestation?

Guess I totally missed the point here somehow. You had some stuff you didn't want and traded. I knew that...

It's a cool beast to have. Nothing like a vintage Hammond.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

The X5 and 760 is a great rig, I used it before I got into buying a clone, and felt the clone was finally decent enough to buy (which was the Nord Electro 2) It will overdrive the 760 nicely. I used it on an Acid Jazz album. There was something warm about knowing that all the other guys used B's and C's and I had an X5 and 760 on that album. It is heavy though, and that metal rail along the front is a killer on your hands. Mine I tihnk was a later version and it had a bass switch on it to take the pedal tones up to the lower manual, very nice and very punchy. Don't dismiss this because it's not a tonewheel! If you wanted to check ou the X5 760 look for 'Hammond Street' Acid Jazz Records, Theme from Poindexter!

I have a soft spot for the X5. A friend in college had one. It was the first Hammond I ever played on. I thought the "Bass pedal to lower manual" option was cool. I was so clueless, I remember being really disappointed that there wasn't one on my M3 when I bought it. I thought it was an option only "pro" Hammonds had. My buddy had also retro-fitted an intonation pot, so that he could de-tune the thing to mimic tonewheels slowing down and speeding up like they do when you fiddle with the power switch on a B. I think he only did it so he could accurately cop the rideout solo to "Green Eyed Lady" back in the day. :D

Not many fans? Well, it sounded more like the real thing than any substitute I'd ever heard of way back in 1990. You couldn't even get an XB2 back then. And it sounded a damn sight better than a D50 or DX7 "organ" patch, especially through the 760.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Got it!

Good LORD, that thing is heavy. Might as well be carrying my Rhodes again.

I'll get a chance to try it out Friday at a jam/audition. Can't wait!

Meantime, the pins for mounting it in the stand are gone, it's a 100-lb. board and it appears those are load-bearing pins. Any suggestions?

Daf

For those as confused as me, here's a look:

http://www.hammond-organ.com/sales/X5_for_sale.htm

Never heard of it. And I thought I'd seen everything. It looks like the X2 would be the better choice to me because it has a four octave keyboard. I'm not fond of the 3 1/2 octave range on Hammond spinets. But if you're trading... wheeling and dealing... can't be too choosy.

It turned out to be a bit worse for the wear. But I kept rocking the switches and it finally came to life an hour into the jam or so. And it doesn't seem to be compatible with the J-Station - very noisy, lot of trouble getting a good signal.

So I'm going to try it again with my 2101 - hopefully this weekend - and if I'm still having level and noise problems, it's going in the shop.

Archived