Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help needed (from Fantom users)

Andre Lower

Hi there,

I am teaching myself to use my brand new Fantom X7 and have some questions. I suspect the Fantom users in here could help me with pointers, and any help will be greatly appreciated. Here it goes:

1) I had great patches and performances in my old XP-30. I still have the files for those. Is there any way to have the XP-30's user patches and performances imported into my Fantom x?

2) I bought the SRX-07 expansion and found out that the patches are different from the ones I had in the SR-JV "Vintage Synth" card I had in my XP-30. Is there any way to retrieve these patches using the wavebank offered in the SRX-07 card?

I have been searching in the Roland Clan fori but so far no luck. In case you guys know any other forum I could try, please inform. Thanks :thu:

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you can. I perfectly transferred a bunch of my XP patches to my Fantom S when I bought it a number of years ago. The details... don't cringe too much... I did it manually. But all parameters except two are direct 1:1 and if you start with a patch initialize all new features are zeroed out and you just ignore them.

Since then I think that there's a program out there somewhere that will handle this task. But I'm not sure, or even where to get it. It's not a Roland product. If you can't find it and want to do it the old fashioned way, just you re-post and I'll give you the details. It's not that hard. Just tedious.

Does anyone have an opinion on this "Planet V" sound expansion library that Artemio is advertising on the Roland Clan forum? The feedback seems to be good, but if at all possible I'd appreciate the opinion you guys might have on it.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Bill, this is another of my current problems: I kept the XP-30's USER Patch and Performance information in a MIDI file, hoping to find some software that would allow me to visualize the parameters and then manually reproduce the Performances in my new Fantom X7.

The problem is I can't find any software that would "read" this MIDI file and convert it into readable information (something like listing the patches used in a performance, their ranges, etc...).

Like Kanker wrote the other day, I feel like punching myself on the balls over it, for unless I ever get hold of another XP-30 my User Performances and Patches will remain lost :mad:

Yeah you can. I perfectly transferred a bunch of my XP patches to my Fantom S when I bought it a number of years ago. The details... don't cringe too much... I did it manually. But all parameters except two are direct 1:1 and if you start with a patch initialize all new features are zeroed out and you just ignore them.

Since then I think that there's a program out there somewhere that will handle this task. But I'm not sure, or even where to get it. It's not a Roland product. If you can't find it and want to do it the old fashioned way, just you re-post and I'll give you the details. It's not that hard. Just tedious.

Wow. The only hope I can give is that you may not need specifically an XP-30 to retrieve your patches and performances. Bulk dumps are interchangeable on my JV-1080, XP-50, 60, and 80. Now, I've never done this, but you might be able to use a JV-1010, which came with an editor and is much cheaper than an XP-30. Pick one up for $100-125, load your stuff into it, transfer to it's editor where you can see it, and then re-sell it.

As you know, the XP-30 has built in expansions, but on my stuff expanded dumps still transfer over to unexpanded units, but with no sound. When you edit, the waveforms are listed as expansion sourced.

All my patches are custom which is why I had to transfer manually. I had an XP-60 on top, a Fantom S on the bottom, and just read the parameters off one and entered them on the other. With just a bit of practice I got to where I could do a whole patch in less than 10 minutes. If you have SRX-07, you will be able to recreate your Vintage Synth patches. All it's waves are there.

Archived