Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone bought the new Clavia C1 hammond ?

yannis D

Hi guys

I'm in a terrible GAS for a Nord C1 hammond simulation. I saw some you tube videos last night and i'm really impressed. I already own the Nord Electro 2, so i know about the Clavia quality and hammond sounds, the keybed, portability etc, but does the new thing has any improvements over the B3 sounds?

Has anyone of you fellow forumites played -or bought- the C1? I'd love to read your valuable impressions.

Thnx

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yannis,

The Electro has not gotten the last few improvements to the Nord organ model because it doesn't have enough memory or CPU power, not sure which.

Stage DID get a really nice upgrade recently where a few things trickled down from the C1. The overdrive is magnificently better, as is the key click and even percussion.

I have no doubt that the C1 is even better than what I have on my Stage.

Moe

---

Ace bit of kit and very small, very easy to lug around if you gig or are stuck for space this thing is a dream.. unless you want real draw bars. sim Is very very good if not the best.

And for the price is super value (in Europe) not sure but you guys in US may get charged more as I have seen people say the price is expensive on here, but not much more than an Xk1 over here normally. got two versions of stages and the C1, C1 at first when I tried with original OS did not blow me away but after owning for a while and uping the Os to latest Version, is a lot better sounding than electro or stage by some degree.

in fact i LOVE the red color og the thing. My dream rig is NL2+NE+Nord C1 and i'm really near to do it on stage soong. Eye candy :)

That reminds me of a guy on the Nord USA forum that goes by "Redfan." His rig is rather red:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/gorano/rdingarna.jpg

The C1 is bad to the bone - I've been using one since August. Super light, super small, but all that and a bag of chips plugged into a Leslie. I'll also tell you that David Bryan from Bon Jovi played mine in front of 26k people @ Frontier Days, and was impressed.

Good luck.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Yes, I guess I'm kind of predictable when it comes to gear... If I like it, I buy it! I can always eat some other day. ;) NE 3 sounds lika a plan... Physical models is the way to go IMO - which products like Pianoteq and the C1 really show!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the C1s (or any) organ simulation is not really physical modelling, it's primarily additive synthesis. Though PianoTeq is quite impressive, I still prefer big sample libraries to physical models. Scarbee's VKC being case and point.

As for the C1, I'm not an organist, but I tried it in the store with headphones, and being an Electro owner I can say that the while Electro's B3 is damn good, the C1 _IS A REAL HAMMOND_. The difference is night & day.

I especially like the 3 sets of drawbars (I think Nord finally got the 'LED drawbar' concept right on the C1), the 128 presets and the bass/lower split!

The Vox & Farfisa sounds are also damn nice, I think there are actually more Vox presets than B3 ones! (Don't think I'd ever use them outside of a Doors cover though).

In short, I'm not a full-on organist, but suddenly I want to buy the C1 and become one.

ssive,

As for the C1, I'm not an organist, but I tried it in the store with headphones, and being an Electro owner I can say that the while Electro's B3 is damn good, the C1 _IS A REAL HAMMOND_. The difference is night & day.

I wonder how better a B3 sound could be from Electro's B3? Your reviews are enthousiastic guys. I'm looking for those 2.222 euros now!

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the C1s (or any) organ simulation is not really physical modelling, it's primarily additive synthesis. Though PianoTeq is quite impressive, I still prefer big sample libraries to physical models. Scarbee's VKC being case and point.

Big sample libraries are great for studio use - but I'm primarily a gigger, and Pianoteq runs flawlessly on my macbook. With a supplied piano, all I need to bring is the laptop and my Ultralite. Scarbee VKC is my favorite sample library, but I can't load more than one set at a time - and not really with confidence...

Although the basic method of tone generation in a B3 is additive synthesis w. sine waves, the Leslie sim and other fx such as key click and percussion must surely be considered physical modelling, right..? If I'm wrong, please let me know! :)

Big sample libraries are great for studio use - but I'm primarily a gigger, and Pianoteq runs flawlessly on my macbook. With a supplied piano, all I need to bring is the laptop and my Ultralite. Scarbee VKC is my favorite sample library, but I can't load more than one set at a time - and not really with confidence...

Ah, 'tis the dilemma of today's keyboardist. But then again, when do you ever use more than one of those instruments simultaneously on a given tune? Unless you're using rhodes & clav or something?

I used to use Scarbee Rhodes & NI B4 II live on my Windows laptop but I found it too much of a hassle, and myself worrying too much (even though, in retrospect, I never had any big issues). I still use them at home, but I think I'm not gonna use software live until I gets me a Muse Receptor.

Although the basic method of tone generation in a B3 is additive synthesis w. sine waves, the Leslie sim and other fx such as key click and percussion must surely be considered physical modelling, right..? If I'm wrong, please let me know! :)

I actually wasn't too sure about this, so before making a fool of myself I checked it out, I always thought something like Leslie sim was achieved through a clever kind of phaser/chorus & EQ sort of thing...turns out there is modelling involved in plenty, I stand totally corrected.

(I looked here , incidentally)

Update,

I just bought the C1, though I can't really afford it (story of my life...), and to reaffirm...it destroys the ground on which I stand. I seriously have never been so excited by a new piece of gear before (probably because I've been wanting to pick up the organ seriously for a while now)

Archived