Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this right?

fingertalkin

I need to power my onstage rig and a subwoofer. Can I use one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-ProD2-Passive-Stereo-Direct-Box?sku=153916.....

Or I guess my question would be how do I drive my onstage monitoring and a subwoofer with just my bass and two heads? We are going to try to use one of my heads as an amp for the sub. It is 500 watts bridged. Not a whole lot of power but it should power one sub.

How do you sign a computer screen?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so you want to send the signal from your bass, and your bass alone, to both your onstage rig and a subwoofer cabinet.

Your onstage rig consists of a head. And presumably a cabinet, although you don't mention it.

You have a second bass head that you want to drive the subwoofer with. This head provides 500 W in bridged mono mode.

Both bass heads expect as an input the output from a bass guitar. So you need a way to turn the single output from your bass into two outputs.

That Radial ProD2 Passive Stereo Direct Box you tried to link to (broken link) will not do the job.

You need a signal splitter, like Amy uses with Clatter. A quick look at the Clatter site shows Amy uses Lehle A/B/Y boxes. A quick search at MF turns up a few Lehles, like this one: Lehle P-Split Splitter Guitar Pedal. And the product description starts with:

P-Split stands for "passive splitting" with maximum signal fidelity. With the Lehle guitar pedal, one instrument can be routed to two amplifiers simultaneously. Output A is electrically isolated from Output B by the Lehle LTHZ high end transformer so ground loops are excluded from the start. In addition, the Lehle P-Split also features a gold-plated-contact phase-reversing and ground switch.

You could also try a cheap Y-cable, like this one. I don't recommend it, though.

You may have another option if one of your bass heads has a "line out" jack. You can send such a line level output to a power amp. If your other head has a means of accepting a line level input, i.e. bypass the preamp section and plug directly into the power amp section, you just need an instrument cable to connect the two.

You could also get a "live sound" power amp like the Crown XLS 202D Power Amplifier. (We use one of these to power our vocal stage monitors.) Crown makes bigger versions of this 600 W bridged mono @ 8 ohms power amp (660 W bridged mono @ 4 ohms), but of course they cost more. The 202 is closest in price to the Lehle splitter. Of course you might want a 402 or even a 602 if you want to dedicate it to that subwoofer.

If you decide in the future that you want to share the subwoofer with the kick drum you just add a mixing board to combine your bass signal with the kick drum mike signal.

Ok, so you want to send the signal from your bass, and your bass alone, to both your onstage rig and a subwoofer cabinet.

You could also try a cheap Y-cable, like this one. I don't recommend it, though.

Why do you not recommend the Y-cable?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Problem solved. I did not realize that the mixer had a sub out. I could by an amp but that kind of defeats the purpose of saving money. I know I didn't mention that aspect but I expect everyone to be able to read my mind.

I would not have any problem using one of those y cables.

Also Rocky, I am getting ready for round 2 on my refinishing!

How do you sign a computer screen?

Why do you not recommend the Y-cable?

Rocky

Here's one explanation of how pickups work.

By adding a Y-cable and plugging into a second head you change the load on your pickups. At the very least the pickups will see two high impedance loads in parallel, and this will present as a lower total impedance. Or from an intuitive point of view, the tiny trickle of current the pickups produce gets diverted to two drains instead of one, so each gets a fraction of the original trickle. This may be less of an issue for active basses. (Alex? robb.? Getz? Anyone?)

Since we're talking AC here (impedance) instead of DC (resistance), it's not just a simple matter of each head getting the equivalent of the bass signal with the volume pot turned up halfway (when it is in fact max'd). Notice how the link I provided shows how changing the load changes the actual performance of the pickups.

Finally, although we are dealing with inputs on the heads, they are still electric circuits. A consequence of connecting the bass to both inputs in parallel is that you also connect the two inputs to each other. There is no guarantee that the two heads will play nicely in this configuration, as they were not designed with this in mind. Therefore it is safer to use the "electrically isolated" signals from the A/B/Y box.

Perhaps I am being overly cautious.

Problem solved. I did not realize that the mixer had a sub out. I could by an amp but that kind of defeats the purpose of saving money. I know I didn't mention that aspect but I expect everyone to be able to read my mind.

I would not have any problem using one of those y cables.

Also Rocky, I am getting ready for round 2 on my refinishing!

Sorry, I'm still having a hard time reading your mind. ;) Do you have a powered mixer? If not, the sub out is likely line level and therefore insufficient to drive your sub. You still need a power amp; you might be able to use the one in your bass head (see above).

Archived