Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT/ Do you ever wonder what your forum friends sound like

Dr. Ellwood

Do you? I talked to Vince on the phone a couple of times and I remember how COOL his accent sounded!! I had to listen carefully because I was not used to hearing the accent, you forget that friends on the forum sound differently than you! I expected him to sound like ME LOL!!! anyway it was great to hear him speak! strange how he doesn't sound that way when he types LOL!!! Now lets see....I've got to hear Geoff and BigG, Trucks.. yet!!! and some of the guys in Jersey and other strange and far off lands!!! :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lee,

Glad to see you have landed a doctorate, is it in music?

On the voice thing yes I have wondered about many people on the forum and every time i see a pic I still think I had a different view in my mind of them so I suspect to hear people like yourself Vince, Doc, Cavean, caprae, Zan etc would be very suprising, but I have a pretty strong but clear glasgow accent, I suspect geoff to have a posh Glasgow accent and Trucks to sound classic southern English maybe even a bit Essex :) sorry Trucks, But so many accents I cant imagine what Zuben sounds like or so many guys, its a strange one once you are thinking about it.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Hi G... no the PhD is in Mechanical Engineering, I'm not smart enough to get one in music...I wish I was!! Yes, you kind of get a pre-conceived notion of what they will sound like given their location but it is always fun to actually hear them!! I always think all Englishmen are going to sound like Mick Jagger LOL!! I did hear Fumbleyfingers (Lister) on a YouTube and that was fun because of his accent!! :) sometimes we Americans don't understand some of the references to things made between people who are in hte same country, for example you G said something about being in the smoke?? to someone on another thread, and I have no idea what you where talking about LOL!!!

Lee,

I made up some stuff to help Neil 'do' a Scots accent in one of his dramas. I think I still have them somewhere.

I'll email them to you once I find them.

<>

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Lee you have made me laugh, with "revisit the smoke" if you can understand Geoff first time of hearing him he will have a posh accent, if its a rapid jumble of vowel sounds you may never understand him, but I suspect he pronounces his word correctly.

Noo like me an at, it wus pure dead gallus an evuryfing.

A transcribe of above reads : Not like me and that, it was really excellent. (its never very good english, slang glaswegian speech!!!)

I am not that bad fortuantely, my father made us pronounce our words or we got a clip for our laziness... :)

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

OH LOL! and here's a little story about this subject. For many years we had the greatest married couple neighbors who where both English people. They where from the midlands and he had been a coal miner there, he is now a builder of custom homes here, builds most beautiful homes. Anyway, I have a thing I do that is a Elvis impression of his famous "Thank you, thank you very much" phrase he always said. My neighbor said he could sound American and tried and tried to do the Elvis sound and it was the funniest thing I've ever heard!! what fun we had, great people! He said that when he tried to do the American southern accent it sounded exactly right to him!!!

Being so close to the US, around here, we have your run of the mill North American accent. The stereotypical Canadian accent is something, I think, may come from either out east (maybe Zan can verify that) or possibly in the prairies? (I always thought that the stereotypical Canadian accent sounded a lot like a Wisconsin accent.)

I'm very familiar with the U.K. accents because we had a drummer whose parents were from Scotland and my Wife's Mother and family is from England. Plus, I have several friends from different areas of England, so you get used to recognizing the different dialects.

Lee,

I made up some stuff to help Neil 'do' a Scots accent in one of his dramas. I think I still have them somewhere.

I'll email them to you once I find them.

<>

:D

G.

:D I was going to post the same thing and tell Lee I'd ask you for permission to send him the files! :D

I do wonder what you guys all sound like.

I've heard Geoff and Lister off recordings, met Randy (Strategery), Tracey (Mudcat), and several others, but I do hope to hear other voices from the forum.

BTW - Guys, how many of you assume the other guys sound.. well, normal but expect every woman who posts here to have a sultry, sexy voice? :D

Guys...??

(What, is it just me?!? ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Accents are funny things, we have many changes in a very small distance in America you probably have fewer changes over much bigger distances, so we end up with very localised dialects and all are quite distinctive, many american accents sound similar to me, yes the classic southern accents is distinctive and New jersey area (that could take in new York and surrounding ares, probably the size of the UK :) ) seems to have quite noticeable lilt to it but many blend into each other.

As for Lee's question about an American actor doing a plauseable English accent I havent really heard one but I am sure some could, but as i say have yet to hear one that is convincing or even close :)

G

Being so close to the US, around here, we have your run of the mill North American accent. The stereotypical Canadian accent is something, I think, may come from either out east (maybe Zan can verify that) or possibly in the prairies? (I always thought that the stereotypical Canadian accent sounded a lot like a Wisconsin accent.)

Craig, you mean that all you Canadians don't sound like Red Green? ;)

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

BTW - Guys, how many of you assume the other guys sound.. well, normal but expect every woman who posts here to have a sultry, sexy voice? :D

Guys...??

Neil, I hate to bust your bubble, but I don't think that I have a sexy voice. I have been told that I should have become a DJ, but that doesn't mean anything. I have noticed that some female DJs don't have sexy voices, but have still have fun personalities.

But I do write the way I speak. I don't pretend to be someone else on the internet. I am what I am and that's it.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

Archived