Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thanny XIII : Renaissance Man

kenfxj

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever happened to Thanny? You guys finally get tired of his inability to use spell check?

He went to jail - or the juvenile equivalent. I cant recall what extremely poor choice he made to get there but he got to stay for something like a year if I remember correctly.

Didn't know this about Thanny. What do you guys think about maybe trying to get a snail-mail address for him from his musical partner, and drop him an encouraging note? Speaking as a one-time guest of the county, I think a friendly word is always welcome.

Thanny! Now I remember why I know the name. I remember some one saying I was like him due to my bad spelling and being a post whore....I think that was it.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I tried to contact his bandmates to do the "encouraging letter" thing, and was told that everyone has been instructed to stay away.

That was then - maybe things have loosened up. If you try, let us know.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanny! Now I remember why I know the name. I remember some one saying I was like him due to my bad spelling and being a post whore....I think that was it.

Both youthful guys too. Hopefully you'll end up on the other side of the law and order 'industry' if you manage to join the police.

Some young people come onto the board and are used to text messaging and chat rooms, expect this place to be similar, act accordingly and start endless threads and post constantly regardless of their lack of knowledge/experience to respond to the issue concerned.

Some of those people like Thanny and Karl end up sticking around, contributing a lot and adapting to the way the messageboard functions. Thank goodness, glad you guys stuck around.

Thanny will be back and sort himself out. We've all made mistakes and we have faith he will turn himself around. I'm looking forward to hearing from him.

I tried to contact his bandmates to do the "encouraging letter" thing, and was told that everyone has been instructed to stay away.

That was then - maybe things have loosened up. If you try, let us know.

Tom

I sent a message to that effect thru their MySpace page today. No response yet.

I'm glad my Webster's Dictionary is from 1983 and thus I don't have to recognize retarded pseudo-words like 'w00t.' How can a word have a number in it?

S1MPLE! Just us3 y0ur 1mag1nat1on.

God be with you, Thanny!!! w00t! w00t! w00t!

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Ummm...I think everyone should sort of pull back for a second. It's admirable that you all have such charity in your hearts, but keep a few details in mind as you "wish him well".

1) He was a self-professed straight edge, so this wasn't a possession rap.

2) He wasn't allowed contact with ANYONE (according to his friends) for at least 6 months. This either means aversion training (sexual crime), rehab (which is already off the table), or some sort of boot camp. Now, the only first time offenders I've ever heard of going to boot camp were felons. So he's either a repeat offender, or he did something a little bit more than a mistake.

3) I could, obviously, be wrong. He may be a hypocrite and was caught smoking weed or worse. Or maybe a girl he felt up suddenly changed her mind and cried wolf. Or he didn't know that his group of friends was going to roll that drunk. All I'm saying is that he's incarcerated, and we don't know why, and the people who know don't feel that it's minor enough (or their business)to tell anyone.

So unless you simply have unlimited unconditional good vibes to send out (and good on ya if you do), I'd hold off on the "poor Thanny" until we find out what happened. It may not have been simple youthful indiscretion.

"For instance" is not proof.

Ummm...I think everyone should sort of pull back for a second. It's admirable that you all have such charity in your hearts, but keep a few details in mind as you "wish him well".

1) He was a self-professed straight edge, so this wasn't a possession rap.

2) He wasn't allowed contact with ANYONE (according to his friends) for at least 6 months. This either means aversion training (sexual crime), rehab (which is already off the table), or some sort of boot camp. Now, the only first time offenders I've ever heard of going to boot camp were felons. So he's either a repeat offender, or he did something a little bit more than a mistake.

3) I could, obviously, be wrong. He may be a hypocrite and was caught smoking weed or worse. Or maybe a girl he felt up suddenly changed her mind and cried wolf. Or he didn't know that his group of friends was going to roll that drunk. All I'm saying is that he's incarcerated, and we don't know why, and the people who know don't feel that it's minor enough (or their business)to tell anyone.

So unless you simply have unlimited unconditional good vibes to send out (and good on ya if you do), I'd hold off on the "poor Thanny" until we find out what happened. It may not have been simple youthful indiscretion.

There's a bit of speculation going on there I think.

I don't know what he did, and of course I hope it wasn't anything too sinister - but I'm not going to write him off my good wishes list unless I have a good reason.

In my book, someone continues to get my well wishes until I have good reason to strike them off the list.

At this point I have no such reason.

...so - I hope Thanny's doin' OK and wish him well.

:thu:

In my view (shaped by my Christian faith) it's possible to recognize that somebody committed a very bad act without denying the essential worth of the person who committed the act.

Also, in my life I've had lots of contact with prisoners and ex-prisoners. From that experience I've concluded that one way to really encourage recidivism is to marginalize and shun the individual, label him a "criminal", "felon," "ex-con," and always expect more bad behavior from him. My thought in contacting Thanny would be to say "Once you've 'paid your debt to society,' there are people outside who like you and want you to do well and not repeat past mistakes." It can be a really restorative experience for the ex-offender and also actually be very functional from society's standpoint, in motivating the person not to re-offend.

I apologize if the above seems preachy or self-righteous. I don't mean it to be, it's just really how I feel.

I hope he didn't do anything too terribly wrong. I know that my own lack of discretion as a youth could have landed me in jail, and I'm lucky I didn't end up there.

Good luck Thanny and I hope we hear from you soon.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived