Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90ES soft case

niacin

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you want a soft case? I understand that the S90ES is heavy on its own and that you probably don't want to add any additional weight. But at this point...... what's a few extra pounds? Additionally, with a soft case I would be concerned that 1. the S90ES would not have enough protection, and 2. a soft case would not hold up. I would invest in an Anvil-type case and a dolly.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I bought it so that I don't have to take my MP9500 (34kg) out on gigs. So yeh it's a weight issue. It's not that heavy - 22kg - and not that bulky, but a shell case would take me back to square one. Trying to find a gig bag that's long enough (57.9"/147cm) seems to be a hard ask though.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

.....but a shell case.....
I initially thought you meant a fabric-type case. So are you referring to an SKB-type case? It probably would provide adequate protection, especially if you are not flying and personally handle it. I hear you on the length issue....that S90ES is one long board. I wonder if SKB (or similar company) could custom-make one for you?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I use this ...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGK288R

The wheels are convenient. With pretty light gigging it hasn't fallen apart yet. It protects the keyboard. I have some firm foam blocks that anchor the keyboard in place, or it would not work for the S90ES. With the foam blocks ... I have room for pedals and cables inside the case.

However, the case is of inferior quality. The hinges and locks are not as sturdy as they look. It expect it to fall apart in two years. I probably won't buy another one of these products at that time ...

Hope this helps. ;)

I use the Gator GK-88 case for my S90ES, but I would not necessarily recommend it.

http://www.gatorcases.com/productsdetail.aspx?LID=3&PID=45

I use it to haul from my house to our church and back once a week. It does OK, but I can tell it would not survive any kicking around. My case rides across the middle seats in a Plymouth Voyager and it does fine, but the case does seem a little flimsy to me.

I can tell you one thing: you would not want to carry the case very far. It has handles on it, but man that keyboard is heavy. I can carry it a little way like up some stairs, but it isn't fun. You will need to use the wheels whenever possible - do NOT get a case without wheels.

---------------

To B-3 or not to B-3, that is the question.

GigSkinz GSK8L is the best protection of any soft bag. I'll be getting one tomorrow for my Studiologic controller. I've been using GSK6L's on my smaller synths for a couple of years now (and even those are heavy).

My car can't fit a hardshell case due to trunk clearance (sharp angle going in, before it can angle back up again). Bought one from New York cases a few years ago and had to resell it right away (stupidly it didn't occur to me to return it, as they had given me the wrong dimensions pre-sale).

So for me it's size; for you it's weight. be aware that they aren't the same thing. For instance, New York Cases hardshell cases are very light. But they ARE deeper than a gig bag.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

hey, yeh I meant a bag, fabric type case, wheels and supports only add weight so I'd rather do without, I'm the only one handling it and if it ever becomes the case that I'm not I'd get a plywood or fibreglass case made for it, but thanks for the links, looks like Gator do a GKB-88 that might just about be long enough almost maybe. I really don't think it's as heavy as some of you guys are suggesting, but then I'm coming down from the Kawai MP9500 so I guess it's all relative.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

wheels and supports only add weight so I'd rather do without ... I really don't think it's as heavy as some of you guys are suggesting

I just hope, for your sake, you don't have to haul it very far. And with a soft case, be SURE not to drop it. Don't think the S90ES is a unit you can sling over your shoulder as you stroll along. When I do have to actually carry it, I use two hands on the handles. When I pick the unit up off its stand, it seems a lot lighter than when it is in the case and I am lifing it with the handles, not sure why. I would get wheels.

Lou

---------------

To B-3 or not to B-3, that is the question.

I did another comparison last night over at finecases.com, where you can pump in your numbers and it shows you all the compatible cases and bags in descending order (with the exception of GigSkinz, which they don't sell, but you can find those specs at several online outlets).

Clearly the GigSkinz wins out by a mile (I've owned quite a few bags over the years), in terms of quality of workmanship and bang for buck. Zoom in at finecases.com on each of their bags and you'll quickly see how they aren't built to last, in terms of zippers, sewing, and especially wheels.

The GigSkinz bags are light, so this should not be a factor. Even NYCases plywood cases are light (under 20 pounds). Your only heavy bags are likely to be the hybrid fabric-covered wood cases from ProTec, and the PVC stuff from Gator and SKB, as well as heavier duty stuff from the likes of Anvil.

The GigSkinz bags are the only ones to provide two inches of foam at the bottom and also sufficient cushioning at the top. Most of the pro keyboardists I know in the Bay Area have switched over to these bags in the past two years. Their only drawback is the long side (on the side where the main handle is for hand-carrying vs. rolling), should occasionally be snapped back into place for the firmest square-corner edges with the top and bottom sides.

Note that the GigSkinz bags are waterproof; another plus in their favour in the SF Bay Area (especially this time of year). Other bags are coated, but only help out in quick runs to and from the car. I have rolled the GigSkinz a couple of blocks in heavy rain, with no problems. Can't say the same for ProTec, etc.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The [GigSkinz bags'] only drawback is the long side (on the side where the main handle is for hand-carrying vs. rolling), should occasionally be snapped back into place for the firmest square-corner edges with the top and bottom sides.

Not true. The GigSkinz have another drawback as well: They're butt-ugly! All that grey and silver with the big logo. Simply awful-looking! I have one of their large mixer bags, and I agree that they're well-built and highly functional. But the thing is FUGLY. If GigSkinz made their cases in basic black, I bet their sales would triple!

Noah

That is obviously a personal opinion, and I'm surprised you don't see it as such.

The silver is an attraction for me, as I do a lot of outdoor gigs since I'm in a cover band. Black adds about 20 degrees Fahrenheit to the heat absorption of most things.

I had a wedding gig in Lake County CA a few years ago where it went up to 120 degrees and there was no shade. Everything black broke down; everything that wasn't black still worked. I lost more money in repairs than I made on the gig itself. Ever since then, I have avoided black whenever possible.

And this does matter for the bag as well, since the keyboard will be sitting in it in the hot sun in the car (if you're lucky it's in a trunk with no exposure to the sun, but I have a subcompact so it will be at least partially exposed), and maybe at the gig itself before setup time.

And yes, I recognise that it is my own opinion that silver isn't ugly :-). Practicality always comes first for me anyway. But as luck would have it, both my cover band and my originals band have black, silver, and red as their main theme colours :-).

That is obviously a personal opinion, and I'm surprised you don't see it as such.

Oh, don't get me wrong: I totally agree with you that whether you like the look of the GigSkinz bags is a personal opinion. I was just expressing mine, and you've now expressed yours. It's all good. :thu:

Of course, I'd venture a bet that if we polled 100 people, more people would agree with me regarding the looks of those bags than you. I could be wrong, but as I see it there's a reason that virtually all road case manufacturers make their stock cases in basic black: It sells.

The practical reasons for you liking the lighter color of the GigSkinz cases makes perfect sense, but "practicality" frequent loses out to "cool" in the world of rock and roll, and silver/grey just ain't cool. Black is. (Again, just my opinion.)

Noah

I think that goes in cycles. In the 70's, everything was silver, then black came into vogue and you originally had to pay extra for it. Then that reversed and you had to pay more for silver :-).

I'm talking mostly the hi-fi world, but I think it carried over somewhat into the audio world and musician world as well.

One thing I will NEVER do again is buy a red bag. I blame the choice of which synthesizers were stolen from my apartment last year on the bags being red (Nord Lead 3 and Alesis Ion, with the red highlights on the Gator bag possibly contributing to the theft of the E-Mu XL-7 Command Station, or maybe it was more the orange colour of the device itself, as orange is another high-theft colour).

Thanks for the link Mark. Will check it out now.

Cheers,

Peter

I did another comparison last night over at finecases.com, where you can pump in your numbers and it shows you all the compatible cases and bags in descending order (with the exception of GigSkinz, which they don't sell, but you can find those specs at several online outlets).

Clearly the GigSkinz wins out by a mile (I've owned quite a few bags over the years), in terms of quality of workmanship and bang for buck. Zoom in at finecases.com on each of their bags and you'll quickly see how they aren't built to last, in terms of zippers, sewing, and especially wheels.

The GigSkinz bags are light, so this should not be a factor. Even NYCases plywood cases are light (under 20 pounds). Your only heavy bags are likely to be the hybrid fabric-covered wood cases from ProTec, and the PVC stuff from Gator and SKB, as well as heavier duty stuff from the likes of Anvil.

The GigSkinz bags are the only ones to provide two inches of foam at the bottom and also sufficient cushioning at the top. Most of the pro keyboardists I know in the Bay Area have switched over to these bags in the past two years. Their only drawback is the long side (on the side where the main handle is for hand-carrying vs. rolling), should occasionally be snapped back into place for the firmest square-corner edges with the top and bottom sides.

Note that the GigSkinz bags are waterproof; another plus in their favour in the SF Bay Area (especially this time of year). Other bags are coated, but only help out in quick runs to and from the car. I have rolled the GigSkinz a couple of blocks in heavy rain, with no problems. Can't say the same for ProTec, etc.

FWIW, I may go with a ProTec case this time around after all, as the GigSkinz GSK8L is a bit bigger than I thought and might not fit into my car due to the weird angle I have to use to clear the tail lights.

But as Guitar Centre would let me bring it right back into the store immediately for a refund if it doesn't fit, I may just head down there today anyway. But first I'm going to take one last look at the outer dimensions of ProTec's higher-end 88-key bags.

Clearly the wheel encasing is not built as well as the one on the GigSkinz bag though. And it isn't quite as well padded. But I have had very good luck in the past with ProTec bags. Up until GigSkinz, they were my preferred brand due to workmanship.

I'm actually leaning back towards the ProTec Deluxe bag now, as the GigSkinz GSK88L would give 5-6 inches of play both length-wise and width-wise for the Studiologic VMK188plus; whereas the proTec Deluxe C-970/WL is a much closer fit and is reasonably well built.

As it is not clear from either the photos or the description whether there is a handle at the end opposite the wheels, or only along the lengthwise edge, I sent an email to finecases.com inquiring of this matter (it is a deal-killer for me).

They do not list the S90 or S90 ES; only the S80. So you will have to type in the dimensions yourself to see what matches. The above-mentioned case from ProTec might be just an inch or two too short, as I recall that keyboard being non-standard. I'm fairly sure the GigSkinz bag will fit it, however. Better safe than sorry though, so do your measurements carefully.

Archived