Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Love that funky clavinet!

brianb

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forum. I dusted off & listened to the old Jeff Beck "Wired" album yesterday and had forgotten about the great Max Middleton clavinet job on the song "Play With Me". Wondering if anyone out there might have some general tips on playing a funky clav. I once heard that some licks / riffs can be approached rythmicaly (left & right hand) as to a flamadiddle drum rudiment. Any tips or some of your favorite clav tunes would be much appreciated!

Brian B

Roland Fantom X8 / Korg M1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max Middleton....that's a blast from the past. I haven't heard that name in probably 30 yrs. or more.

There was a tune by Jeff Beck in the 70's where he played a cool piano part. The melody was unison and hard....name that tune?????

Max Middleton....that's a blast from the past. I haven't heard that name in probably 30 yrs. or more.

There was a tune by Jeff Beck in the 70's where he played a cool piano part. The melody was unison and hard....name that tune?????

Possibly "Max's Tune" on the Jeff Beck Group's 1971 Rough and Ready recording?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Hi All,

I once heard that some licks / riffs can be approached rythmicaly (left & right hand) as to a flamadiddle drum rudiment. Any tips or some of your favorite clav tunes would be much appreciated!

Yes, this is good advice. Play some drum rhythms on a tabletop by rocking both hands between thumbs and digits. Now transfer that to a clavinet keyboard, playing some chordally related stuff in a sychopated manner. Be sure to play some of it staccato to leave plenty of holes in the part.

Now stick it thru a wah wah!

Moe

---

With the left hand, in addition to the 3rd and 5th and octaves, make sure to put lots of 7ths (dominant 7ths) in there. Funk out with those 7ths!

and drink a lot of whisky, that will funkitise you even more.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Going Down

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Actually Bach sounds cool on the clavinet. Similar in concept to the clavichord of Bach's day. I use the TickyKlav softsynth to listen to the Well Tempered Clavier pieces.

Or when I get bored with that, I use a JX-10 space harpsichord patch...

Oh yeah - funk. Sorry. Work on your paradiddles. Don't hold any chords out. Use sparse chords and single notes. Listen to a lot of Greg Phillinganes.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

"Higher Ground" ( and of course, "Superstition" ) - Stevie. Notice the quick slaps almost like muted guitar clicks & rhythms which happen outside of the melody he's playing.

You have to be articulate on a clav - no room for glancing off keys or rushed notes that are off the groove. Get in there with the bassist & drummer. Takes practise. A lot of players cover up for sloppy playing with a wawa.

Here for the gear.

If you're going to talk Stevie Wonder clav, Superstition and Green Onions, errr... I mean Higher ground are cool, but you gotta get into All Day Sucker and You Haven't Done Nothing. Also, you have to check out 'later' Sly like There's Riot Goin on and Fresh. Struttin My Stuff from Elvin Bishop has some pretty wicked clav on it. There's good clav on some Frankie Beverly and Maze stuff, like Southern Girl and especially Back In Stride - one of the all time great clav tunes, particularly the album version. Mother's Finest was another group that had some good clav stuff going on, Truth'll Set You Free, Baby Love, most anything on Mother Factor. Don't neglect Reggae either, some great clav stuff in a lot of Reggae tunes.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Listening to the documentary on the making of Aja, Fagen and Becker broke down to the individual tracks, and I I realized how simple, clear, and articulate each track actually is. Yes, it is complex when taken all together, but good recordings really are compilations of relatively straightforward tracks...

This goes double with the clavinet. DRAWBACK could not be more on target. (see above) Play the lockdown rhythmic pattern. Strip it of excess detail. Vary the rhythmic/harmonic motif periodically. It may not blow anyone away by itself, but in the context of ensemble playing, it will be exactly what the doctor ordered...

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

PS - If you want that D6 Clavinet (or any other electromechanical keyboard brought to its maximum sound, go to the guys that Steely Dan uses: VINTAGE VIBE

http://www.vintagevibe.com/images/template_01.jpeg

They just did my Rhodes, Wurly, and D6 - and nailed them....

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

If you're going to talk Stevie Wonder clav, Superstition and Green Onions, errr... I mean Higher ground are cool, but you gotta get into All Day Sucker and You Haven't Done Nothing.

+1 :thu:

Here for the gear.

Archived