Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who should play bass for Van Halen?

Robitaille59

Okay Van Halen is on the road again as we all know.

Michael Anthony is not with the band anymore but somehow Diamond Dave managed to work things out with the VH Bros. again.

It was a shock to me to find out that they selected Eddie's 15 year old son to play bass.

So I thought this could be a pretty fun thread to suggest some other possible bassists.

Any takers?

Rob Robitaille

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has to be Michael Anthony.

But it would pretty interesting to see and hear Billy Sheehan play with the band. He's played with David Lee Roth so there's already a connection in place.

He'd give Eddie a run for his money and completely overpower Alex.

So I'm betting he doesn't get the call.

For something new and different, why not get Victor Wooten?

Well, relevancy aside, I'm with Jeremy: it should be Michael Anthony. However, I'm sure he's much happier to be with Sammy Hagar these days instead of the VH clan. I hope Michael never gives those guys the time of day ever again.

I'd like to see Dr. Phil join the group. ;)

Do you think Eddies son only got to play because he is Eddies son? Or do you think he can play? Plus won't he miss out on loads of school work :P

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I like Jeremy's idea of Billy Sheehan if Michael Anthony is not there.

Has anyone heard any reviews about Wolfgang's playing?

I much prefer Dave over Sammy any day for Van Halen and they are relevant to me because I grew up listening and I love the music.

So, any Wolfgang bass playing reviews out there?

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

Hey, watch that. A lot of us here are a lot older than Eddie and the boys.

I've often told a bandleader with whom I work (when he complains that he can't find a good female singer) is that he should adopt one.

Eddie taught his kid how to play bass and put him in the band.

Does Alex have any kids? Maybe he could supply the lead singer.

Just think, The Van Halen Family!

They could be bigger than the Osmonds, the Cowsills, and the Partridge Family put together!

Or not.

Van Halen is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. From all I've ever read Mike Anthony was the only decent human being in that band and I'm glad to see him having fun with Sammy. At least he is now with a friend who will treat him with some respect.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I saw the recent VH tour in Seattle; Wolfie played fine (though to be honest, neither he nor Alex were very audible in the mix) and his backups were spot-on. It was very obvious that the only reason Ed is out there at all is because his son is in the band with him. I love classic Van Halen, and I'm very fond of Michael Anthony, but Wolfie is a lifeline for his old man right now and I'm OK with that.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

They could be bigger than the Osmonds, the Cowsills, and the Partridge Family put together!

Or not.

Good lord - I had a Cowsills drumset when I was a kid. Just now remembered.

One of the guitarists I play with went to the Sacramento show (took his 6 year old son - good or bad?) and he says the backing vocals were quite obviously dubbed. I wonder if the bass was too?

He said the rest of the show was great though.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I'm gonna have to agree with Jeremy and go with Billy Sheehan.

Failing that how 'bout mixing the band up, Eddie can play bass, Alex can sing, Dave can drum, then you could get someone like Steve Vai in to play guitar.

I have half a mind...

Sheehan would get my vote too...I believe he could easily out-shred Eddie, and probably would not hesitate to do so. A group of us are going to this show here in Raleigh in March, so I'll let ya know what I think of Wolfgang.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

The way I understand it is that Michael turned them down since Sammy wasn't there. It is kind of sad though, I liked both versions but Mr. Roth is better IMO. And yes, VH is not relevant to anyone other than themselves.

Actually, Michael has stated in a number of interviews that he wasn't even asked. Not only that, but when the tour announcement came out they erased MA's name and picture everywhere it showed up on the official website... something they changed back after fan uproar. Of course, the official website still shows no reference to any VH album post-1984, which seems fairly stupid to me.

At any rate, I've seen lots of clips of Wolfgang's playing, and he seems to be holding his own. Not that the VH bass parts were ever that difficult, of course. But to be a 16-year old kid keeping time and composure in front of tens of thousands of people... he seems to be doing very well. Much better than I would have at that age, I'm quite sure.

I was thinking Rudy Sarzo if he's still in the biz. The stuff he played on the live Ozzy album "Speak of the Devil" was pretty incredible and I think his style would fit in with the classic VH style that Michael Anthony played so well.

The thing about Michael Anthony was he played the bass part and that was it. He didn't try to be like Jack Bruce. Billy Sheehan was like Jack Bruce in that he did a lot "lead" work, I'm not sure how that would go over with the older material. All the tapping and stuff he does is really cool but I prefer the type of bass playing that Michael Anthony did on tracks like "When Push Comes to Shove" and "So This Is Love?" from the Fair Warning album.

What they really need is a Keyboard player after that debacle where they had a recording of the keyboard part in "Jump" playing off a DAT machine and the machine was set slightly sharp...not sharp enought to be a half step but somewhere in between and it was just awful. It's on YouTube somewhere and I think we had a thread about it but it was embarrasing to say the least (you'd have to see the clip to understand what I'm talking about...they played THE WHOLE SONG off key and then took a bow like it was all good...

But anyway my hat's off to them for continuing to tour and record.

Rob Robitaille

Archived