Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

History Rocks

Guitarzannie

Has anyone seen this show on the History Channel? I am becoming addicted to it. I especially like the episodes with Meatloaf as the host. With one episode, I ended up dancing to "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" by BTO.

I found myself last night trying to jam along with the show. It didn't sound very good (since I don't know what chords they were playing, I played my own and landed the chords accurately about 50% of the time. I still have trouble with the "F" chord), but I had a good time. I think it will help me build up my speed with playing chords.

I have been taking Kramer's advice about trying to play chord changes during commericals and it is working.

The one bad thing about watching the show is that I have found that some of the songs stick in my head long after I have seen the show. Right now, I can't seem to get "Magic Carpet Ride" out of my head!

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil,

The show is quite simple. They take a timeline, such as the late 1960s and cover the important events of that era. Meatloaf is the emcee on some of the episodes. Basically, they play the entire song with the info on the screen. Sometimes they do include some sound bites.

I can't recall all the music I heard, but it creeped me out when they played "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Jethro Tull when they were showing footage of the Jonestown mass suicide. They also covered Watergate, the hostages in Iran, Vietnam, the moon landing, the 1972 Olympic games, etc.

They also covered fads. They played "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" when they were showing the video game craze of the 1970s. They also played a popular Southern rock song (whose name escapes me at the moment) when showing the CB craze. They used "Cars" by Gary Numan when they talked about the muscle car craze of the 1960s.

Michelle

...they played "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Jethro Tull....

A trivial correction here, but I think that woulda actually been by Blue Oyster Cult. :D

I sit corrected then! I guess my memory isn't what it used to be :blush:

Michelle

Sounds cool! I will have to check that show out. BTW, trying to play along with stuff like that, tv commercials (like Vince mentioned) and the songs on the radio will do wonders for you.

They also have a really cool special called "1968" hosted by Tom Brokaw. It doesn't have as much music as "History Rocks" though.

Sometimes they don't play rock on some of the portions of "History Rocks". They did play "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash when showing the 1964 surgeon general's warning on cigarette smoking.

Michelle

Sounds cool! I will have to check that show out. BTW, trying to play along with stuff like that, tv commercials (like Vince mentioned) and the songs on the radio will do wonders for you.

As long as I don't try to play like the guy that is "playing" guitar in the free credit report commercials, I'll be alright ;) .

Michelle

I've saving them on my Tevo... I watched the LSD one, at least I think I did, and one that covered alot of Viet Nam and the Chicago riots with Mayor Richard 'Moron' Daly... anyway it looks good... some good music in there not to mention a hell of a lot of memories for those of us who lived it...

:thu:

I watched it last night. They had a long segment on LSD, Timothy Leary and other drugs.. I think I got a contact high from the TV and had a flashback! :freak: LOL

I felt the same way. After the segment about smoking, I felt like going outside and getting a breath of fresh air!

Michelle

I see PBS has brought back "Sound Stage". In the late 60's to about 1975 it was one of the best music shows on TV. They had one show with Jimmy Page playing with 3 or 4 non rock guitarist. It was very intimate.

They should bring back the old shows along with the Midnight Special and Don Kirsners Rock Concert. We learned so many riffs, licks, and hooks.

The filming of the day always zoomed in on the guitar player when he was playing an intro or lead. It was great. (Same with keyboards)

What would take a week wih my partner to figure out, we learned in one night watching these shows.

Videos today rarely stay on the neck and finger positions long enough to even see the key they are in.

Dang, I AM older than dirt.

Peace

...They should bring back the old shows along with the Midnight Special and Don Kirsners Rock Concert.....

Midnight Special is available on DVD. You have to buy it on subscription though (which I don't care for). I'd prefer it if they would just make the shows available as an entire collection or where you could buy complete season sets individually like they do with current TV shows.

IIRC, there was one episode featuring Ted Nugent, Golden Earing, the Cars and Cheap Trick. What a great line-up. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

From ad online -

This 9-DVD Collector's Set includes 8 DVD Volumes (1973 through 1980), and 2 Free Bonuses - Million Sellers DVD and the Get Down with The Midnight Special booklet. As part of this Special Offer, about every 4-6 weeks, you will receive 2 new Midnight Special volumes containing even more fabulous live music performances for just $19.95 per DVD plus $3.95 s&h. Start your collection today with this limited time offer for only $139.95 plus $9.95 s&h.

Am I reading this right? 140.00 then you still get DVDs every month for 19.95? Man, someone is greedy.

That's a shame. I was at a taping of the show. Guest of Feat. my very young face is visable for 2 seconds. I have the complete show on VHS, they gave a copy of the show to the performers and crew.

Peace

I see PBS has brought back "Sound Stage". In the late 60's to about 1975 it was one of the best music shows on TV. They had one show with Jimmy Page playing with 3 or 4 non rock guitarist. It was very intimate.

They should bring back the old shows along with the Midnight Special and Don Kirsners Rock Concert. We learned so many riffs, licks, and hooks.

The filming of the day always zoomed in on the guitar player when he was playing an intro or lead. It was great. (Same with keyboards)

What would take a week wih my partner to figure out, we learned in one night watching these shows.

Videos today rarely stay on the neck and finger positions long enough to even see the key they are in.

Dang, I AM older than dirt.

Peace

Zuben, ITA with you!

I have a DVR of John Denver's special on PBS. They have a clip of him playing on a 1975 TV special. The clip started with showing a kind of down the fretboard shot of him playing "Rhymes and Reasons" on a 12 stringer. Then the camera showed a waist high shot of him playing the song. This shot was rather long and I could learn a few chords from it.

Michelle

I've been watching History Rocks also. Great stuff and great music. After the LSD one, I found myself aimlessly walking in the yard looking for mushrooms!!!!! Didn't find any!!! At least that I remember!!!

You know what they say, "If you remember the 60's you weren't actually there"!

Michelle

Oh my gosh! I was watching that show on Sunday morning and since then "Logical Song" by Supertramp has been stuck in my head! (And ending up all over my myspace...)

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

Oh my gosh! I was watching that show on Sunday morning and since then "Logical Song" by Supertramp has been stuck in my head! (And ending up all over my myspace...)

I think that they also use this song in a commercial. I didn't pay attention to what the commercial was for though.

"Bend Me, Shape Me" and "Venus" have also been running through my head since I have seen the show.

Michelle

Archived