Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O/T Christmas Season Movies!

Durockrolly

Does anyone else try to get in some Christmas Season type movies over the holidays? My wife and I try to squeeze in as many as posible. If so, what are some of your favorites. Some of the ones we have seen this year are...

A Christmas Story

A Christmas Carol

Trading Places

Christmas Vacation

It's a Wonderful Life

The Bishops Wife

Miracle on 34th Street

Home Alone

The Bells of St. Mary's

There is still a few more we'd like to get in.

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always try to watch " A Christmas Carol" (the Alisatir Sim version). On the other side of things I also enjoy "Black Christmas"(the Canadian original).

Of course "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is always on the agenda;not necessarily a movie, but still fun to watch!!

"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

Santa claus is coming to town (claymation)

Rudolph the red nose reindeer (claymation)

Frosty the snowman and Frosty returns

little drummer boy (claymation)

charlie brown christmas

Grinch 1966 Dr. suess

Muppet christmas

Mickeys magical christmas

Scrooge Org. B&W as well as the version with Henry winkler

Tom and Jerry's christmas

To name a few plus the one's above :D :D :thu:

Prancer...with Sam Elliot. :D

It's a tear jerker and if you got young kids, they'll love it.

There's a few new ones that are good.

The Polar Express

The new Shrek Christmas movie is hilarious. :D

The Grinch Movie

Charlie Brown Christmas is a GOT TO!! :D

I'll think of some more later. :D

Randy

"Just play!"

The one movie I make sure to watch is "The Bishop's Wife". "The Preacher's Wife" is a so so remake with good music.

I have also enjoyed "A Christmas Story".

As far as TV, I love "A Charlie Brown Christmas", "The House without A Christmas Tree" and my Ed Sullivan Christmas tape that features George Carlin as the Hippie Dippy Weatherman.

"The Honeymooners" always cracks me up -- it's the episode where Ralph buys Alice a hatpin box made out of 1,000 matchsticks.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

charlie brown christmas

Grinch 1966 Dr. suess

Muppet christmas

You know the magic that's been lost on all of these??? I know I'm only pushing 40 but I remember when I was a kid there were no DVR's or VCR's or DVD's. These shows were on once a year. If you missed it you had to wait 365 days for the chance to see it again. Now with on-demand entertainment you can own personal copies of all these and watch them anytime. I remember that me and my brother and sister always knew when these were coming on primetime (what else was there?? Just 3 channels??) and waited expectantly for them.

I think some of the magic is lost now, though they are still great shows...

To the cartoons (Chuck Jones' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas are essential viewing), I will also add "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol".

I like "White Christmas" well enough, but I think "Holiday Inn", made 10 years earlier with Bing and Fred Astaire, is superior. Not strictly a Christmas movie, but it is the first instance where Bing sings "White Christmas."

And what more can be said about "It's A Wonderful Life"? Just the best.

John

charlie brown christmas

Grinch 1966 Dr. suess

Muppet christmas

You know the magic that's been lost on all of these??? I know I'm only pushing 40 but I remember when I was a kid there were no DVR's or VCR's or DVD's. These shows were on once a year. If you missed it you had to wait 365 days for the chance to see it again. Now with on-demand entertainment you can own personal copies of all these and watch them anytime. I remember that me and my brother and sister always knew when these were coming on primetime (what else was there?? Just 3 channels??) and waited expectantly for them.

I think some of the magic is lost now, though they are still great shows...

+100!

Again, as a jew these had a bit of a different meaning for me, but we still waited with barely controlled excitement for Charlie Brown specials and The Grinch. They're simply well told stories.

One of my favorite stories is the making of The Grinch. Theodore Geisel begrudgingly allowed Chuck Jones to test animation of the Grinch. He was dead set against limiting kids' imaginations by giving his characters a specific voice. He didn't think an actor could do justice to the great emotion he envisioned. But Jones had already decided the only actor who could possibly do justice to the role of the Grinch and narrator was Boris Karloff, and the tests won over Dr. Seuss.

This is why I refuse to see the ridiculous live action remake with Jim Carrey. I'm quite sure Dr. Seuss is rolling in his grave. My understanding is they twisted the story to show the Whos as focused on the commercialization of Christmas until the Grinch teaches them better. What the *&$%# is that about?!?! The whole point of Geisel's story is the Grinch could take all that away and the Whos refused to be unhappy about it because the true meaning of Christmas is not about tinsel, presents or feasts. Everyone involved in that movie should be embarrassed by the disrespect they showed for Dr. Seuss.

On a better note, the Shrek Christmas Special was, indeed, special. Not just an excuse to bring out the characters, they gave it a plausible, if sappy, storyline full of laughs worthy of the big screen. The retelling of the Chirstmas story by several characters, from their unique perspectives, was absolutely hilarious.

Another good franchise that's gone un-sung here so far is the Robby The Reigndeer shows. Modern claymation meets ridiculous Ben Stiller/Jerry Stiller schtick but, like Shrek, pulls off a funny show laughing with rather than at Christmas and classic Christmas stories.

And that's the view from the balcony.. Next week we'll be reviewing... ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The Grinch (Ron Howard / Jim Carrey version) is absolute numero uno IMO. :thu::thu:

Dyin' to see Shrek 3. :D

Referencing Fantasticsound's post above, I agree with you Bejeeber. Though different from the original, I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. We've watched it multiple times around the holidays for the past 5 years.

...I refuse to see the ridiculous live action remake with Jim Carrey. ...

You haven't seen it, refuse to see it, but proclaim it to be ridiculous? :confused:

PREJUDICED!!! :laugh::crazy:

I have a friend who is also an ultra conservative Seuss fundamentalist on this same issue, cannot accept anything other than the status quo of the 1966 cartoon, worshiped as some kind of gospel, Seuss as messiah. :D

Aw well, I think if folks try to be open minded about the Ron Howard version and give it a looksee, they'll realize there's some fresh comic genius goin' on, with Seuss spirit fully intact, and the same basic message and ending to boot. :thu::love:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Cute. :P

You miss the point, Bejeeber. I've been given more than enough information about the remake to fervently believe Theordore Geisel, a man who I hold in high regard for much more than the stories he wrote, would abhor what they mangled his story into. Were he not so vehemently opposed to the idea of animating his books until people he trusted showed him it could be done without diluting his creation then I might feel differently.

But he was and they did (mangle it).

Dr. Seuss wrote those books with a purpose. Children's books of the day did nothing to engage their audience. He wrote them to encourage reading and ethics in young children. Entertainment was a means to an end, not the end itself. The live action Grinch movie misses the entire point Geisel illustrated.

Despite the support for this movie by his widow, I know in my heart from everything I've read and heard from Geisel that this movie would never have been made were he still alive.

How would you feel if someone took a song you wrote and twisted it into something completely different against your wishes?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have not seen the Jim Carey version of "Grinch", so I can't comment on it, but I did see the Mike Myers "Cat in the Hat" (Wes, my son who was four at the time, really wanted to see it). An utter fiasco. The only movie I've seen where you can actually see the flop sweat forming on the featured performer. It doesn't really make me want to go back and rent the DVD to the live action Grinch.

I also didn't run out and see Grinch when it first came out, because I thought Chuck Jones pretty much nailed it in 20 minutes of animation in 1965, and I didn't see how it could be improved with a live action 90 minute feature film. I tend to steer clear of remakes of classic anything.

I guess the next Seuss movie sighting will be "Horton Hears a Who", but at least its animated. (It will have to go a long way to match Bob Clampett's version of "Horton Hatches the Egg", a great Warner's Looney Tune from the early 40's).

Now back to our original Christmas Season Movie thread...

John

How would you feel if someone took a song you wrote and twisted it into something completely different against your wishes?

OK I'll cry uncle on this one, it looks like I'm certainly not going to talk you into likin' the Grinch! I can see you're a Seuss expert, and although I love all things Seuss, I'm not that familiar with the life, times, philosophy, etc. of 'ol Theodore, apart from reading some history on him in the local San Diego papers when I lived there and he was still alive and residing in La Jolla.

But as far as someone twisting one of my songs - if it was a Ron Howard/Jim Carrey collaboration I think I'd be into it. :D

One other aside for jbote: The Grinch movie has no relation to The Cat in The Hat movie, and should be considered on its own merits (or as Neil might say, complete lack of!:laugh:)

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

[

One other aside for jbote: The Grinch movie has no relation to The Cat in The Hat movie, and should be considered on its own merits (or as Neil might say, complete lack of!:laugh:)

Agreed, although "Cat in the Hat" and "Grinch" were both produced by Ron Howard's production company, Imagine, which makes me a little leery about the Grinch. But, point well taken. :)

John

I forgot they're attempting "Horton" soon...

The trailer looked a little more along the lines of something Geisel might appreciate. I'd like to see it as Horton Hears A Who is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss stories. How much more basic can you get than protecting the powerless among us.. A person's a person no matter how small.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

We love Wallace and Grommit - I especially like "A Close Shave" (with Shaun the Sheep) and "The Wrong Trousers" (with the evil Penguin).

I wish they'd make more stuff. I think we own DVD copies of everything they've made and yeah, I wish there was more. My favourite would still have to be the first one, "A Grand Day Out", where they go to the moon in search of cheese during a bank holiday.

Re: Dr Seuss

Man but those drawings creep me out. :eek:

Added: I feel really horrible saying that, ok? But the first time I saw the cat in the hat (I must have been about eight) really spun me out.

I think that Lifetime is having a different Lifetime original Christmas movie for the holidays. I saw one last year that was really stupid. This year appears to be no different.

Has anyone seen "Christmas with the Kranks?" I saw part of it a few days ago and it looked good. I have also read part of "Skipping Christmas", which the movie was based on. The part of the book I read was funny, but I didn't get a chance to finish it last year.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

Archived