Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band in a Box 2008

Dreamer

Like every year in December, PG Music has released a new version of Band in a Box; I have already downloaded mine and can say that is well worth the price (which, if you upgrade from a previous version, is really a bargain).

Among other things, I loved the new Real Drums (there are now 20 sets of them), but there is more than that: for a more authentic "live" feeling, there are now also Real Guitars (to play the rhytm parts) and even a Real Saxophone, to play countermelodies.

For more details, click here.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an early version (5, I think) which swings like a dead cat so I have been put off it ever since, but if it could swing it would be a really useful practice tool.

Have they improved that in more recent versions?

Oh yes, definitely! The BIG improvement came with BIAB 2007, where the Live Drums were introduced for the first time. They are drums and/or percussions played live by a real player and recorded as .wav data, so you can hear subtleties impossibile to replicate on a midi track, especially in Jazz-Swing styles.

In June 2007 they have introduced more Real Drums sets and now they have reached # 20, covering almost all the mainstream styles. But in BIAB 2008 for the first time there is a Live Guitar track, recorded by a real guitarist, and also a Live Saxophone, again recorded live, to improvise or play countermelodies; so it's easy to bet that BIAB 2009 will feature a Live Bass as well...

Anyway, for the price paid (79 USD for the Superpack Upgrade, which includes all the Live instruments) it's really a bargain and, since you already have a previous version, are entitled to buy just the upgrade. Then you can use it to practice or even to lay down your backing tracks (Drums, Bass and Guitar). :cool:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Here's shorten clip, Falling Grace. I only ever use RealDrums, bass and occasionally guitar. The drums are from the new Terry Clark RealDrums (sets 17, 18, 19). They are more agressive than the original jazz drums. The bass is Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass library. Rhodes is Velvet.

Falling Grace

For jazz, latin, fusion it's really good. Again, I use only the things that sound good and do the rest on my own. But for putting together backing tracks or rehearsal tracks quickly, it can't be beat.

Busch.

Here's shorten clip, Falling Grace. I only ever use RealDrums, bass and occasionally guitar. The drums are from the new Terry Clark RealDrums (sets 17, 18, 19). They are more agressive than the original jazz drums. The bass is Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass library. Rhodes is Velvet.

Falling Grace

That sounds real nice. I am going to have to go check it out. Could save me a bunch of time putting down demo tracks. At the moment I am doing everything by hand - finger drums and so on.

Thanks for the clip.

Falling Grace

For jazz, latin, fusion it's really good. Again, I use only the things that sound good and do the rest on my own. But for putting together backing tracks or rehearsal tracks quickly, it can't be beat.

Busch.

Is that you playing the rhodes sound?

Falling Grace

Busch.

Man, this sounds great! Drums and bass are so much better-sounding than the version that I have. I bought BIAB in 2000 and haven't upgraded since.

One of the criticisms I have read is that the BIAB developer preferred to focus on the auto-generated Soloist instead of improving the accompaniment (bass, drums). The clip you posted sounds like a step in the right direction.

Archived