Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP SUB BASS & 808 MIXING PROBLEMS

I have a song that has 909 kick and 808 kick in it ..The problem that I am having is I has have a moog bass in it and it is cluttering up everything...I have compressed the kicks to death they sound excellent..the only eq I used was to take out some of the irritation on the 909 kick.. I pulled out about 3db @ 1k and it's perfect.. 808 kick is not eq'd and about 3 db's lounder than the 909 kick..808 is the bass..909 the drive.. The problem that I am having is when I play my mixes back through a sub I cannot hear the moog. should I eq to take out some of the frequencies that are the same as the 808.. should I ad compression.. it only makes it sound worse.I have waves MAXXBASS and it seems to work a little ..if I need to eq.. what frequencies should I ad or take a way for this moog to drive the speakers ..if compression how much? should I be using high bass or low pass filters? if so what frequencies should I check for ? The bass (808)in the song which is lovely..it is the drive from the bass that is missing..I want my speakers constanly moving...and i need this song to sound thick.. I'm monitoring thru ns-10-s with sub and tannoy reveal..with out the sub.. so you can imagine what I'm dealin with..any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated. One thing the bass is banging but just a little flabby not aggrivating but would like it a little tighter. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
try a high-pass filter at around 20 or 30Hz. that will remove the subsonic energies which are causing the flabby low end. then try to make it to where the moog and the kicks are not interfering with each other. i would do some experimenting on this one. if your compressor has a sidechain feature, try compressing the moog with the sidechain running off the 909. if the 808 if one of those deep "DOOOOOOOOOOOM" sounds, you may have a hard time getting that to work with a deep bassline. otherwise if its a more of a quick "THUD", the 909 should knock the moog down far enough that the 808 and the 909 make it through just fine. thats just a suggestion, YMMV. SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

Yeah a common problem with the long decay 808 kicks. I'm trying to get a sonic picture of your tune - I like it so far by the way - I think you need to do something radical to get it to work though, like remove the low end from the Moog line - the 808 decay IS a b-line in many tunes and if it interferes then something has to go. Alternatively have two 808 kick one for the breakdowns/ intro etc where you cut the b-line (this one will be the heavy one) and a second that has less sub bass in it for the groove - you can do it on a crossfade and control it from a mod wheel - if you're using a sampler. I take it that you've tried tuning the kick to get it to blend a little better with the bass? I've done tunes that have no bass in them at all - just an 808 kick and a Hammond organ in a low key - made some beautiful dub tunes that way - but not suitable for all styles of music - key changes are a little obvious. Tell me more about your music - can't beat an 808! s.

Try not to mix a deep bass and a deep kick. If you use something like an 808 kick, try a thin sounding bass. If you use a fat "Moog-style" bass, try a thin ("whack") kind of kick. If you listen to cd's, you'll notice that a lot of thought has gone into giving the kick and bass each their own "space."

>. If you listen to cd's, you'll notice that a lot of thought has gone into giving the kick and bass each their own "space." >> Uh, not if you're listening to my first release... I would definitely follow the above advice and try and separate the two somehow, perhaps by having the bass prominent at higher frequencies, rolling off the lower frequencies of the bass, etc. to avoid conflict between the bass and the kick.

I' tried all of the above techniques and some of them helped me out...but you would never believe what helped me out the most..I took a a song from a commercial release and imported it to Pro tools and just keep flipping back and forth between the song and and my song (and oh my god)...it was like magic I could hear what was killing my song.. after about ten minutes I took my cd to the car and could not believe what i was hearing the best mix i have ever done...I will have to reference more commercial releases more frequently..it helped out alot. Thanks everybody

Archived