Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Switch to something else or stay with crap ampeg??

CuttyShark

so, I have an Ampeg SVT 4 pro that I bought used about a year ago. I have had it repaired 3 times now due to problems in the power circuit, broken solder joints, and have had lackluster service in return. just the other night at the show, the amps eq section went out and I lost the amp. took the cover off after the show and found a burnt transistor. THIS is starting to get expensive now and I am wondering if I should sell this head and get another NEW ampeg 4 pro, or go with something else? my band is in the studio right now and im recording on a Line 6 Bass Pod (rackmount style) and it sounds awesome and is very versatile. I was thinking about just getting one of these and a good power amp to run my ampeg 8X10's. what are you thoughts? suggestions? im tired of worrying about my amp. I thought ampeg was the best of the best. I know something about them switching owners or something though. anywayz, sorry for the rant, and thanks for the opinions! -Mike

MY GEAR: Line 6 Bass Pod Pro Rack Mount, QSC Head, Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10 Cabinet,Korg DTR-2000 Rack Tuner, ESP F-404FM Bass

MY BAND PAGE: WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CYLINDERBAND

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you can get lemons from anyone. Ampeg is a seriously well built amp from what I can tell. I've only had mine for about 2 weeks, but it seems very sturdy. Ditch the lemon and score another SVT-Pro. I assume by your rig, that you play rock/metal. Beleive me, if you stray from the SVT, you WILL regret it.

Love God...Love People!

What would be the difference in just using a pre-amp like the Line 6, and standard power amp and a cabinet or two for output?

I have thought about going with a pre-amp, a standard stereo power amp and a cabinet with a 15" speaker and a horn on each side of the stage. I would expect this to fill the room better with the bass sound, plus everyone in the band could hear it. And we all know how important it is that everyone in the band can hear the bass!

Plus, In a larger venue, this is how the crowd hears the instruments in through the PA system.

Yeah, in case you hadn't guessed I like to play with toys.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

I have to agree with trashing this Ampeg. Any company can build a bad amp now and then .

People trash Eden and I've had nothing but great service from Eden stuff.

People love ampeg, and the only one I've had except for an ancient B-15 broke immediately.

With G&K I've had one of each, a 700RB that has worked great and a 1001 RBII that blew up at home in the bedroom. G&K fixed it under warranty for free.

To each their own and a common thread here is that every company produces a lemon now and then. It all comes down to the tone that you like.

I took back my ampeg cab and now have an Eden cab and I am thrilled with the clarity, power and tone. No more mud.

Others love ampeg all the way. I am sure there is a story about every manufacturers product that was screwed up at one time or another. The key is to find the company that has less problems than the others AND has the tone you want.

I will never knock a product because it is all subjective.

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

In the case of bad solder connections, your speaker cab could have rattled them loose. Iv'e had that happen before. the blown resistor could be due to a not so great solder job. Anyway, the amp is appearing unreliable so for peace of mind get another one. Ampegs really are a reliable brand. Separate the new amp from the cab or put a rubber pad under the amp to deaden the vibration to cause any furure problems.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Thanx everyone for all the responses! I appreciate all the great info that you all have to share. Yes, I do play in a rock band, and therefore I obviously went to Ampeg first. I love the way it sounds and it had TONS of power, our band is sort of chevelle like in a way were the bass is pretty loud and upfront. so the 4 pro's wattage really helps. I was wondering if maybe I was contributing to the head breaking down?? I use the amp always in the mono bridge mode using both internal power amps combined. I have it hooked up correctly using a Speakon Cable, but started thinking maybe im overloading it? wouldn't think so, but just a thought. thanx-Mike

MY GEAR: Line 6 Bass Pod Pro Rack Mount, QSC Head, Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10 Cabinet,Korg DTR-2000 Rack Tuner, ESP F-404FM Bass

MY BAND PAGE: WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CYLINDERBAND

I suppose it could have been a lemon, but if you liked the amp, go for it again. I've been using a SVT3-Pro/410HLF rig for the past year and a half or so and haven't had any problems yet. *knocks on wood*

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Thanx everyone for all the responses! I appreciate all the great info that you all have to share. Yes, I do play in a rock band, and therefore I obviously went to Ampeg first. I love the way it sounds and it had TONS of power, our band is sort of chevelle like in a way were the bass is pretty loud and upfront. so the 4 pro's wattage really helps. I was wondering if maybe I was contributing to the head breaking down?? I use the amp always in the mono bridge mode using both internal power amps combined. I have it hooked up correctly using a Speakon Cable, but started thinking maybe im overloading it? wouldn't think so, but just a thought. thanx-Mike

I wouldn't think so. That Ampeg 8X10 should handle it unless you're really pushing the volume. At full power I think that 4 Pro will shred just about any cabinet.

Love God...Love People!

Its second hand. You don't really know what its history is. It could have been dropped, left in a damp environment. Anything.

That's the risk yopu take buying used. Buy a new one if you need something reliable.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

What would be the difference in just using a pre-amp like the Line 6, and standard power amp and a cabinet or two for output?

I have thought about going with a pre-amp, a standard stereo power amp and a cabinet with a 15" speaker and a horn on each side of the stage. I would expect this to fill the room better with the bass sound, plus everyone in the band could hear it. And we all know how important it is that everyone in the band can hear the bass!

Plus, In a larger venue, this is how the crowd hears the instruments in through the PA system.

Yeah, in case you hadn't guessed I like to play with toys.

It's a little off topic, but I agree with you on this. I have often thought the best bass rig/monitor set up would be something PAish. It is what the audience hears...

I have yet to find something I am happy with...but I keep looking and researching...

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be wary of new Ampeg gear, it's built overseas and there are questions of overall quality. That being said, I've got a stereo QSC power amp to an Eden 2x10 and Eden 1x15 cab and it's the best tone I've found. Currently I'm using a tech 21 bass driver in front, but in the near future I am searching for a good tube pre. I'd go something similar to that, and get rid of the lemon you have.

Archived