Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does this actually qualify as music?

jar546

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They really suck. OK, really, really suck. I have no idea what this is.

I don't think I have ever heard anything worse than that nor do I care to. No, I don't think it qualifies as music. :sick:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Hard to just on that recording.

Why not judge them based on their proper recordings?

Motionless in White

Or better yet, why not not judge them at all?

They sound like a lot of other bands. I probably would not buy an album. If anything, I would say they are unoriginal. Then again, what is original? Every band that played in the last 25 years stole everything from The Beatles anyway.

No one is judging, just giving an opinion. I gave them the benefit of the doubt by going to their myspace page and taking a listen at the recordings. Even with pro-tools doing wonders for them I don't like it.

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

This may bring up the thought, what is music? What is music supposed to accomplish? Make you happy, sad, angry? Personally, I think music should accomplish something good. I'm sure many of you disagree.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Music is like any other art form.

It can be made to make you feel good and/or want to dance.

It can be made to attempt to bring about social awareness and/or change.

It can be made as a money-making venture.

etcetera, etcetera

Rocky, you like Western Swing. Not a damn thing wrong with that. But if you played Western Swing at one of these boys' shows I would imagine the general reaction would be unfavorable.

That doesn't mean you're wrong or they're wrong. It just means you're different.

Eye (or ear) of the beholder and all that.

Push the button Frank.

kenfxj, I understand what you are saying. I think, when mankind first started making music, it was primarily for "Enjoyment" Over the years, it has degraded toward, anger, hate, etc. I just think it is sad that some of it has moved in that direction.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Every emotion imaginable can be and has been expressed in music. And that was true hundreds of years before basses (both electric and acoustic), electric guitars, drum sets, rock, jazz and all kinds of stuff was invented.

Much Western music was written for religious reasons. That's pretty different from playing music for enjoyment. And other continents had other meaning for music.

But I probably won't click on the link the original post, though. ;)

Hmmm...

I have an extremely open mind, which tends to lean towards music that is " different than the norm", but...

This is extremely derivited, let's dress eMO, let's prance like Johnny Rotten, let's rage like Trent Reznor, let's punk it yadda yadda yadda.

I love the Sex Pistols and NIN/Trent is one of my favorite bands, but this does nothing for me. It seems more "performance"

oriented, hmmm maybe a good definition would be Angst/Rage theatre, then strangely enough it would make sense.

I'm not too old (45) for this $hit, but if you are going to do it, be original and be honest.

P.S.

I really hate dissing anything, but I can spot phonies/posers a mile away.

Warwick Corvette 4 Proline

Tune Casiopea TWX 6 string

Hmmm...

I have an extremely open mind, which tends to lean towards music that is " different than the norm", but...

This is extremely derivited, let's dress eMO, let's prance like Johnny Rotten, let's rage like Trent Reznor, let's punk it yadda yadda yadda.

I love the Sex Pistols and NIN/Trent is one of my favorite bands, but this does nothing for me. It seems more "performance"

oriented, hmmm maybe a good definition would be Angst/Rage theatre, then strangely enough it would make sense.

I'm not too old (45) for this $hit, but if you are going to do it, be original and be honest.

P.S.

I really hate dissing anything, but I can spot phonies/posers a mile away.

Post of the day IMHO.

Love God...Love People!

About 6 years ago a school music teacher of mine defined music as organised sound.

And do you think that's a good definition? My car engine makes an organized sound. So do I when I talk (usually). And so on. Pretty soon, most things end up making "music." (I'm not directing this at you, Scott; I'm just suggesting that that teacher's definition was too broad.)

On another point altogether (and nothing to do with Scott at all)...

I try to keep an open mind, too. But I don't think that just saying "this is different and unpopular, so I'll defend it" is the same as keeping an open mind, either. A mind closed to the possibility that something unpopular might be bad, is still a closed mind.

I can take, conservatively, over 95% of bands and pull their sound/look/style into two to four previously existing elements. That doesn't necessarily make them phonies or posers. I will either enjoy their act or not, on an individual basis.

There are a great many artists who produce what would widely be considered "good" music/theater/literature. A great many of these artists don't do a thing for me. There are also a great many artists putting out "trash" that I love. The inverse is also true.

For me.

Push the button Frank.

My car engine makes an organized sound.

...As does mine. It is music to my ears. Wonderful music.

That said, this is music. It just isn't music made for me. Kind of like how the Oprah Winfrey show is one that is also, uh, just not made for me. I'm OK with that.

Still, these guys really, really, really mean it. I have passion for music, but just not quite that much passion. I'm jealous of that.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Too old? Yup, that's me. I recoil from anything that makes me click into Butthead mode and go, "Huh huh huh... I think maybe you should just kill yourself."

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

They jump around and yell. So they have passion.

Does that mean that, say, Robert Fripp has no passion? Did John Entwistle have no passion?

I don't have an interest in rating these guys one way or another. I just don't get this knee-jerk reaction.

kenfxj, I understand what you are saying. I think, when mankind first started making music, it was primarily for "Enjoyment"

Oh, piffles! :D

Music was probably about all sorts of things: ensuring rain, passing the time while working, marching off to war, putting kids to sleep and so on. All music had a specific purpose and "enjoyment" as we understand it, ie that a piece of music should be enjoyable outside its intended context, didn't really come into it. People were too busy working to be able to sit down and "enjoy" a piece of music the way we do today. Music was tied to its purpose, hence the existence of "Church" music and "Marches" and so on.

I believe you can find vestiges of this "purpose-driven" music in our modern-day Christmas carols. Nobody questions whether "Jingle Bells" is a good piece of music or not, it's just something that gets played leading up to Christmas. And you wouldn't play it in June or Dec. 26th either.

Of course it's music. Rancid, awful, crappy, grotesque, worthless and a joke, but some music is just that way. You've got to give it that much; it's bad enough without taking away what little it has.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived