Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Years Resolutions 2008

EddiePlaysBass

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it seems that as of today I can add one resolution to my non-musical list ...

I was told that I succesfully passed an interview which I'd had recently, and will join our Corporate Actions department soon. This is a huge change, careerwise, and it will open up several opportunities.

So my additional resolution is: become a controller (one level up from "market expert" which is what I will be once I join that department) within 6 - 8 months. It's feasible if I put my mind to it.

Unfortunately this new department will probably mean loads and loads of overtime, and with my jogging resolution working well so far I will probably cut into my bass practice time :( That said, I am sure there'll be a way around that. Hell, I may get me an ashbory bass and take that along with my tascam cd trainer to work :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Like a lot of others my resolutions were an example of the completion backwards principle so this year I will outwit myself with a little reverse psych!

1> Work more and hike and fish less.

2> Spend less time with my son.

3> Give up practicing altogether.

4> Be the worst boyfriend ever.

5> Smoke a lot more.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

For 2007 I resolved to workout much more frequently and I pretty much did it. At this point I can run 13 miles (half marathon!) and not die and I can bench press more than I ever have in my life. According to my Nautilus machine it's 220-ish pounds, 3 sets, 12 reps in under 5 minutes - but I really don't know how much I believe that thing.

This year... I don't know. I really don't. I'll let you know when I sort it out. I'm thinking that I want to do a half Iron Man at some point. I just need to work on that whole swimming 3 miles thing. I might have to call Jeremy and talk to him about that part. :)

3. Be more aggressive.

I get a little worried when I hear that from someone who is over 6 feet tall and over 200 pounds.

I'll stay out of your way, tnb! ;)

Ha ha! I think I go out of my way to not be imposing. :cool: Actually, I was thinking about being a bit more agressive when looking for and booking gigs.

Hmmm...maybe I should work the "hire me or I'll crush you skull" route.

Last year I resolved to buy no instruments for one year.

I made it. I'm not going to make that resolution again.

Haven't come up with a new resolution....I'll let you know what it is when I decide.

Jeremy, we don't want to hear your resolution, we want to know what you are going to buy this upcoming year since you're not making that resolution again.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

My last post was done before reading the whole thread, particularly Jeremy's 2nd post in the thread. Writing and recording new music is a real positive resolution Jeremy and one resolution you should be able to complete.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Alright so I decided to add yet another resolution: take up lessons again. Lately I am so utterly bored and uninspired by our so beloved instrument, and that just isn't right. Fact is, I just don't really know what to practise, despite numerous tips from this here forum.

So I sent a mail to this guy who explained the basics of sightreading to me a year and a half ago, to see if he'd still teach and would be willing to take me in again. I know he was studying jazz at that point so I'd like to go and take that up with him.

We'll see what happens.

On a musical level:

Practice more and properly,

Get the WHOLE band at the same place at the same time more frequently,

Improve my reading and theory.

Otherwise, Id like to lose a little bit of weight.

I have half a mind...

Take lessons and learn how to play the double bass I just bought.

I just came up with a good one....

Save at least as much money as I spend on guns, basses & motorcycles.

We'll see how that works out.

Alright so I decided to add yet another resolution: take up lessons again. /snip/ So I sent a mail to this guy who explained the basics of sightreading to me a year and a half ago, to see if he'd still teach and would be willing to take me in again. I know he was studying jazz at that point so I'd like to go and take that up with him.

Well, he said he'd be interested in taking me on again as a student :grin: I'm psyched, and this time I'm going to try and make proper arrangements up front as to when lessons will take place etc.

Time to dig up one of those old "what to expect from a teacher" threads :)

• 2 weeks later...

why could it be that us Bass players, tend to be always on the heavy weight side? ;) As in "Fat sound...?"

I always say to a friend of mine, when referring to low frequencies, "Add more cholesterol to it". Seems like it always trascends... So here, I must also lose some weight. Also should be more proficient at reading, tend to be a little lazy at that. And definitely should try to gig more this year, been enough time away from my former ranks and behind a desktop. Let´s see how this last one works out. Happy new year everyone!.:D

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Only three or four things I really want to achieve in 08...

- Lose 20kg (that's 40lbs I think - someone correct me if I'm wrong).

- Practice my bass every day (even if it's only for 30 to 40 minutes) - but practice every day.

- Learn some songs/get some lessons (rolled this into one they both go hand in hand) - want to be able to jam with my brothers' in law who are both really good guitarists.

- Get my web design business to turn over $250,000.

All acheivable, a year from now... I'll let you know how I've gone... hehehehehehe.

L8r,

Moose

No resolutions. Never done them. I guess a turn of the calendar doesn't motivate me any more than just deciding to do something - January or July. Actually most of my big "resolutions" or life changing moments have come or been made on days other than January 1.

Archived