Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Years Resolutions 2008

EddiePlaysBass

I'm sure I started a thread myself, but cannot find it anymore (long live the search function :rolleyes:). I did find this thread and it was confrontational:

On a musical level, I'm working on a schedule which should enable me to practice more and more diversified. More details as they follow, if it turns out to work (for me).

Also, try and get three bands to work. One should be on-stage a few times this year, the other two will be formed and rehearsals will begin in the next two moths. If all goes as planned :-)

Non-musically: losing weight ... but I have to say that so far I haven't really been trying :(

:grin:

End of 2007:

- I have been progressively practising LESS and less, due to work

- I have reduced my bands from 3 to 1, but at least it's one I like

- I have gained weight

Resolutions for 2008:

- learn Beatles tunes

- work on my hearing

- learn at least one Bach song from this book I bought a while ago

- finally start the intermediary level of Stuart Clayton's Ultimate Slap Book

- get paid by Stuart Clayton for shamelessly plugging his book all the time* :grin:

- work on scales and such

- get more fluent in my band's rockabilly/rock'n'roll style of music

As far as non-bass goes, I have cheated on myself for one resolution: I started jogging since yesterday :grin: I figured I'd get a head start on myself and this way, by January 2008 I'll already be in the running rhythm again, making it easier to take up this particular resolution. Who know, I may even end up weighing less by this time next year. Would be a first ...

Anyone else wanna play?

* kidding, kidding ;)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the two popular resolutions around the world would be to lose weight and to stop smoking. I don't smoke, and my weight is not an issue, so I guess I have a leg up on the competition.

Things I would like to do in '08 that I haven't in '07:

As far as the bass goes, I need to do more practicing and less playing. Yes, my song list, left/right hand technique, speed, and overall comfortable-ness with the bass has improved, but I still have been cheating myself as far as scales, modes, chromatics, reading etc.

So basically less clowning about and more real work, maybe take some lessons.

Another resolution would be to spend less time on this forum, I mean jeez, it can get addicting :)

-Anthony

Last year I resolved to buy no instruments for one year.

I made it. I'm not going to make that resolution again.

Haven't come up with a new resolution....I'll let you know what it is when I decide.

Why that's just............scandalous! :laugh:

Love God...Love People!

I've made the quit smoking resolution many times, but the no new instruments one has to be harder to keep. :eek:

Haven't really thought of resolutions for '08 yet. I've been gradually cutting down on the cigarettes, maybe sometime in the next year I'll be nicotine free. As far as bass playing is concerned there is always something that needs to be improved, the list for that is constantly changing. There have been too many resolutions that didn't last very long into the new year, I'm going to just work on whatever needs improvement when it's noticed.

Since you don't need this resolution, mind if I used it for '08? :)

The groove is in the spaces.

I am going to try to only make resolutions I really intend to keep. I have not come up with any so far. Maybe by New's Eve I will have an illumination.

rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I like New Year's resolutions - I keep them tacked to my fridge all year and then, nerd that am, I grade myself.

- Complete Marine Work Out Program: + I did it. I also did a marathon training program but had to give it up after I hurt my knee 4 months into it (never ran the marathon). This year (as I planned) was all about working out, and I hope I never do it again, LOL. It hugely cut into my music time, but it was definitely worth it to get in really good shape. I'll finish up this year on another workout program I'm on and in 2008 I will refocus my energy on the bass and music.

- Practice as much as possible as well as possible: check

With all the exercise I went from 20 hours per week to I'd guess 10 hours a week this year. I played at least an hour every day but I did not keep track like I did in '06. My goal here was quality not quantity. I took the first 2 months of 2007 off, then I did a few months of serious '06-type music work, but for the most part I worked on rote memorization of scales and modes this year. That stuff really helped my playing and knowledge. This goal was pretty open-ended and I wouldn't say I did well or poorly - it is what it is.

- Do Not Buy Cigarettes: + I didn't buy any and instead became an unpopular mooch - I bummed an average of 2-3 cigarettes per week (I kept track in my head the first 5 months of the year, LOL). I read recently smoking is bad for you so although I don't see anything wrong with bumming the occasional square, I'm going to bum less.

- Take more bass lessons: check

- Learn some of a foreign language: minus (zero progress - no time!)

- Cook more: check plus

- Get up earlier to enjoy mornings: check plus

- Spend wiser, save more: check? I'm good about saving and not being a spendthrift, but I bought a '71 Jazz this year for over $4K! But we Lowdowners know that wasn't a waste!

- Read more: check plus

- Play music with others more: got into a good band, very fun

- Listen to more music: minus (no discernible improvement)

- Watch less tv: NDI, but I'm selling my tv so that'll help

- Use internet sparingly - check plus - I rarely use it at home anymore (tho I am now)

2008 Goals

Haven't made them yet and I don't think I will. I'm leaving my current job soon and may get a job in NYC. Or that job may be delayed and I'll spend some time travelling. My 2008 plans are really kind of up in the air, but I'm definitely leaving Gary by March 1st.

So it's kinda hard to come up with resolutions when I don't know where I'll be or even what I'll be doing. Either way, I'll be practicing a whole lot more and refocusing on music in 2008 - that's my only resolution at this point. Even if I travel I'm going to come up with something to keep me playing music. I'll go back to keeping track of my practicing in 2008 because I think that's helpful.

No resolutions will be tacked up on my fridge in '08!

My 2007 resolutions:

I plan to organise my life better this year to allow me to live healthier. I'm going to:

Cook in the house more.

Exercise more.

Devote more time to family.

Build my new home.

Co write & co ordinate the second ALB album.

Travel to some new places.

Continue to learn/develop my knowledge regarding all things musical.

Read more.

Well I didn't do to bad for the most,

I have cooked a lot more this year in the house and have finished the year about a stone lighter. I did manage to get the bike out and do some touring but I need to do more of this, so I still need more exercise. I have managed to give a little more time to family although they would be the judge of that. My wife changing jobs has freed her up a little more and I have spent alot more time with my baby brother. We have vistited some far away family this past year also.

As far as building my new house goes I have the final plans for submission down the stairs on our Kitchen table, we will cut the sod in 08!

A Little Bitter got blew up in the air around March time when Anthony (our previous drummer) decided he did not want to do it any more. A friend pulled us out and then we recruited Darren who is as crazy about drums as I am about bass. This means that we have relearned the Album twice this year as well as doing about 70 ALB gigs. Although it was quiet in one sense it was still very busy. We have now started onto album 2 and we have 2 songs nearly finished plus a bagfull of ideas. Darren is also one of the best thing that has ever happened my playing, the guy is a human metronome with the biggest groove, the results will be worth checking out.

I have travelled to some great new places and I have managed a steady growth in my musicality. The reading has not been so prolific, a little but not enough.

I do like to take stock at the end of the year and get a plan in place, I think its the farmer in me!! I will post up 08 resloutions when I get closer to the date!!

OK...last year I resolved to:

I'm going to resolve to sell some gear, and not buy any new amps or basses this year. Also, to practice more (and more efficiently).

I failed :( I sold two basses, two cabinets, and two heads (yay!) - but bought one new bass, the parts to build a new bass, and two new amps.

I did practice more however, and that is good.

This year, I resolve to do a really nice job on building the bass I have purchased the parts for, and practice even more.

Also, I resolve to resist the temptation to buy a Little Mark II head and a couple of new cabs. I'm feeling rather weak however! :D

Hmmm...here's a few that will probably become resolutions:

1) Quit smoking. Some things simply take multiple tries. Actually, make that "stay quit"...I've gotten good at quitting because I've done it so many times.

2) Start regularly exercising. I've actually dropped about 25-30 lbs since early in the year by simply changing some of my habits, so it's more just for fitness than weight-control, etc.

3) Re-find my 6-pack abs from prior years. I had replaced the 6-pack with a 2-liter over the past two decades, but with the weight I've dropped the 6-pack is now a lingering possibility again. :cool:

4) Continue to take some of my musical ideas and turn them into completed songs. Even if no other person ever hears, buys, whatever any of the songs, it's still an accomplishment. :)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Haven't come up with a new resolution....I'll let you know what it is when I decide.

I bought a "new to me" instrument today. It's been at least a couple years since I bought my last "toy". As long as this works out I can probably go another couple years without another instrument purchase.

What'd I get? An Epiphone Mandobird electric solid-body 8-string mandolin. (An "emando".) I wanted something I could play on stage that wouldn't feed back. Maybe I'll give it a try this Saturday?

I've got a custom-build Cliff Bordwell bass on it's way and so I can guarantee (oops as soon as I wrote this I felt a shiver go down my spine) that I will not be buying any basses in 2008.

I might buy a new drum kit though!!!!

I think life can be a little austere at times and I would like to make it less so. If this is a resolution then so be it. How this can be measured I'm not sure.

I love some of the responses. Building a house is not what I call a resolution. It's madness:). To anyone who wants to lose weight - check out the low carb diet. Surprisingly it works.

ZZ Thorn makes me laugh ... if only I had that much ambition.

As for practice. I have seen on drums how a good tutor and structured practice makes a whole world of difference to one's speed of development. Even as little as 4 hours structured practice/week. I know I should apply this to the bass but ...

I would also like to support my friends more.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

1) Quit smoking. Some things simply take multiple tries. Actually, make that "stay quit"...I've gotten good at quitting because I've done it so many times.

You're right - some things take multiple tries - but as a reformed smoker, I gotta tell you - it is so worth it (quitting that is ;) )!

;)

Four years on, and I can't for the life of me imagine why I ever wanted to smoke anyway.

I'm fitter, healthier, stink less, and have much more money.

:thu:

I would also like to support my friends more.

Davo

Man...what a thought-inspiring post. You're a good man Davo...perhaps the rest of us should make resolutions about what we should do for others rather than what we should do for ourselves!

That said, definitely get yourself a drumkit...and good luck with the lessons.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

You're right - some things take multiple tries - but as a reformed smoker, I gotta tell you - it is so worth it (quitting that is ;) )!

;)

Four years on, and I can't for the life of me imagine why I ever wanted to smoke anyway.

I'm fitter, healthier, stink less, and have much more money.

:thu:

On a musical level, I know that if I finally manage to quit and stay quit that my vocal range will improve quite a bit almost immediately. That would be reason# 652 to quit. :crazy: I won't list the other 651 reasons. :whistle: I know it's what I gotta do...I'm still young enough that my body can repair the damage I've caused...one day that won't be the case however.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Quit smoking i've done that in 2005, and it was the best decision of my life. You can do it. Go Dave GO GO GO

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Ok - last year's resolutions - this year's review

OK, most of my resoulutions are related to my relationship with myself and my Creator
OT - needs a lot of work/prayer

. . . but in terms of music -

Take singing lessons

Not achieved

Learn more jazz standard melodies

achieved

Transcribe some solos (especially Miles ones)

Not achieved, tried and gave up, especially as I had too much music to learn/practise for gigs.

Play more jazz gigs

Not a hope!

Oh dear, hope my Performance Management Review goes better on Friday.

ZZ Thorn makes me laugh ... if only I had that much ambition.

Oh, I'm glad I amyooze youse, Davo.

Tommy: Whattya mean I'm funny?

Henry: You're just funny, y'know, the story. It's funny. You're a funny guy.

Tommy: Whattya mean? They way I talk? What?

Henry: It's just, y'know, it's just funny, you know the way you tell the story and everything ...

Tommy: Funny how? I mean, what's funny about it?

Anthony (Frank Adonis): (worried) Tommy, no, you got it all wrong ...

Tommy: Whoa, whoa Anthony! He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What'd you say? Funny how? What?

Henry: Just you know, you're funny.

Tommy: You mean, let me understand this ... cuz I ... maybe its me, maybe I'm a little fucked up maybe. I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Henry: I don't know just ... you know how you tell the story. What?

Tommy: No, no I don't know. You said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. (yelling now) How the fuck am I funny? What the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny?

(Long suspenseful pause: is someone going to die?)

Henry (cracking up): Get the fuck outta here!

(everyone laughs, the tension is gone)

Tommy: Ya motherfucker, I almost had him! I almost had him! You stuttering prick here! Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning!!

I'm just goofin' - I get pretty serious about the self-improvement and I get teased from all quarters about it. 2008 might be a different year, tho. But if I get that job in NYC it may be back to the grind! OH YEAH! TALKIN BOUT THE GRIND - AIN'T NUTHIN BETTER! If I don't get that job I wonder if I'll miss it?

"An interesting bit of trivia: on request from Scorcese, Joe Pesci wrote and directed this scene."

1. Start cursing less.

- -

4. Get certified to instruct hatha-yoga.

I don't know much about yoga, but I'd think number 1 is a requirement for success with number 4. I'm having trouble picturing peaceful $^#&$^%# body exercises ...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived