Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My floyd rose has started acting up...

Trucks

So, sometimes when I push down on my wanger, the trem makes a slight clicking noise then when release it is waaaay out of tune.. If I pull it up after this has happened, it clicks again and is a little less out of tune..

Anybody experienced this problem before?

New pivot posts required, maybe?

Whaddaya reckon?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure it's at the bridge end? Not slipping at the nut/clamp?

I'd loosen things off & inspect the posts. If you can turn them through 180 deg. you should present a fresh surface bearing.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

My posts came loose in the wood...they were the old type with just a wood screw thread and the pivot at the top. Caused horrible tuning problems I tell you. It was hard to see at first but closer inspection from a side view revealed the post leaning forward slightly.

The new pivot screws have inserts, which have machine threaded holes in them. You press fit the inserts into the guitar and then the pivot screws have a machine thread on them that screws into them. Much stronger, more accurate, can fine tune the heights easier etc.

Dunno what kind you have.

Might just need to take a bastard to it ....well, a fine file would be better I suppose

So, sometimes when I push down on my wanger, the trem makes a slight clicking noiseAnybody experienced this problem before?

Well, at least you don't have the heavy tranny problem Miro has from up there in Hammond NY.......

..........the damn head weighs about 50-60 pounds........those MASSIVE Hammond trannies.

But I can sympathise.....nothing worse than a slack G-String that does not behave!!

Or a slipping nut for that matter :eek:

So, sometimes when I push down on my wanger, the trem makes a slight clicking noiseAnybody experienced this problem before?

Well, at least you don't have the heavy tranny problem Miro has from up there in Hammond NY.......

..........the damn head weighs about 50-60 pounds........those MASSIVE Hammond trannies.

But I can sympathise.....nothing worse than a slack G-String that does not behave!!

Or a slipping nut for that matter :eek:

But I like my nuts slippery.... :whistle:

:D

These pivot screws aren't screwed directly into the wood, and they seem flush enough. But the chrome has worn away slightly, in a kind of spiral, which I would assume is from adjusting the height of them.. :confused:

The springs are snug too, Zan... I have the back plate off of my guitar, to aid in adjusting them (I have to get round to routing out my back plate so I dont have to leave it off!) So I can tell they havent moved...

I think it must be something to do with this spiral... Hmm

I have noticed sometimes I could ruin a Floyd in about 9 months. It would just start to go out of tune and get all quirky like you mentioned. Eventually I got teh Kahler Steeler (floyd copy) and that solved it because it was made out of harder steel which made it harder to wear out and it also had much better tone.

Dunno, probably don't make em anymore.

I'm a day late and a buck short, but here's my 2 cents...

The pivots were probubly wrecked from trying to make corrections to the string height while at full tension. You pretty much have to take the strings off to adjust the height. Otherwise the knife edge will carve a spiral groove into the pivot posts becase of all the tension on the kife edge. That pretty obvious though, and you probubly knew that.

My dinky started popping when I played with my wang too. It turned out that my nuts were too loose. I periodically need to tighten my nut to keep this from happening. I think the threads are worn out. Maybe the screws in my nut arn't long enough. I think the best fix for the loose nut is to go with the rear mount screws.

To recap:

Dinky, popping wang, loose nuts, long screws, rear mount.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Archived