Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie question

bormanico

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi bormanico and welcome to The Keyboard Corner.

Yes. Some synthesizers offer a choice of various intonation setups.

The Kurzweil K2661 offers the user 17 different intonation tables to choose from. Each of these tables defines different intervals between each of the semitones in a single octave.

Are you considering a particular synth?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi, thanks for the reply!

As I said I'm a complete begginer, and don't have a keyboard.

I was thinking of buying one that allowed me to assign a specific frequency of my choice to each key, but I don't know if there is such a keyboard or even if it's even possible.

Some of the Korg keyboards allowed a user defined tuning, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. It probably wasn't as detailed as you're looking for.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Not sure of what you are trying to accomplish musically by tuning each individual key. If it is just a matter of hearing something different, start by messing around with the intonation settings as ITGITC mentioned above.

With 1,000 sounds found on most ROMplers nowadays, that should keep you busy for at least 40 days and 40 nights. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yamaha's Motif keyboards (XS series anyway), allow you to either select from one of 13 micro-tuning presets OR create your own where you tune the individual notes in cents to create your own orginal tuning. You can save that as a custom tuning preset and you can create and save several of them! Check it out.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

ProfD: Thanks for the advice but my idea is just to play around with tunings of my own with a variety of instruments.

DonaldM: Thanks for the tip, will check it out.:)

Sven Golly: I had already found a freeware called Scala that seems to do basically the same thing...I'm exploring it now but was searching for a more physical thing..:P

Sven Golly: I had already found a freeware called Scala that seems to do basically the same thing...I'm exploring it now but was searching for a more physical thing..:P

Then perhaps a more thorough review of the link I posted would be in order... that software will (apparently) tune physical instruments. Clonk here. :thu:

Archived