Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie question - vintage keyboards/songs

lukegilmour

Hello, im fairly new to the keyboards, im a guitar player that wants to broad his horizons.

i have two questions:

1- id like to know what kind of chords/scales/etc are used in songs like pink floyd - echoes (the funky part at about minute 7:00 in the album version), air - casanova 70 (the last part), and the classic green onions.

i think they all share that 70's vibe keyboards, wich i love (and actualy this kind of songs made me get close to the keys)

also, if you know any other songs or records with those kinda keys, id love to hear more of that stuff

2- related to the first, id like some excercises to get there, maybe practicing scales or such? (i have no idea how excercises are handled on the keys, im kinda translating from the guitar hehe)

thank you very much!!

ps: some help on getting tabs, partitures or anything like that for these songs would be appreciated too.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, welcome to the Board!

But, Pink Floyd heavily relies on Major and Minor scales I have noticed, and even Pentatonic Scales. Not sure on Casanova 70, but Green Onions is a Blues Scale, really.

Vintage Keys, well, The Doors used Vox and Gibson Organs. Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock relied heavily on the Rhodes. Ummm, B3, TOO much to name, Jimmy Smith is one. Pink Floyd, well, synths everywheres! And, finally, Keith Emerson, he uses everything I think. Plus, a good band is Supertramp if you like Wurlies, same with Yes with Synths.

P.S. if you like Rhodes, listen to Riders On The Storm by The Doors, one of the Quintessential Rhodes Songs.

Sincerely,

Zack.

Ahhh - he mentioned keyboard tabs. I'm out of here before someone busts out the ckicken feet, or the Keith Emmerson knife symbols!

As far as practicing, find some songs you like, and figure them out by listening and playing along till you get it down (start with something simple.) If you like older Floyd, try the Animals album. There's synth, B3, Rhodes - and not too difficult.

Luke,

Scales are more complicated on a keyboard than on a fretboard, because the fingerings and key patterns change with every key. Your best bet is to take a lesson with a teacher and have them show you how to play some scales properly.

There may be beginning piano technique books at your local music store, but a teacher is better.

Keyboard music doesn't have TAB. Sorry. No free lunch. You actually have to learn, like, notes 'n' shit.

Hello, im fairly new to the keyboards, im a guitar player that wants to broad his horizons.

i have two questions:

1- id like to know what kind of chords/scales/etc are used in songs like pink floyd - echoes (the funky part at about minute 7:00 in the album version), air - casanova 70 (the last part), and the classic green onions.

i think they all share that 70's vibe keyboards, wich i love (and actualy this kind of songs made me get close to the keys)

also, if you know any other songs or records with those kinda keys, id love to hear more of that stuff

2- related to the first, id like some excercises to get there, maybe practicing scales or such? (i have no idea how excercises are handled on the keys, im kinda translating from the guitar hehe)

thank you very much!!

ps: some help on getting tabs, partitures or anything like that for these songs would be appreciated too.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Most of this stuff you'll have to do yourself by ear. Not a lot of cool keyboard stuff has been charted out for us, at least not since I stopped looking 20 years ago when the stuff was NEW!

Pink Floyd: Used lots of EMS synths, Arp String Ensemble, MiniMoog, b3 (actually, an RT32), Rhodes, Wurli and transister organs and some clavinet. Ran lots of stuff through leslies (like the piano in Echoes, string ensembles on Animals). On the Wall, they got heavily into the Prophet 5. Later years, lots of Kurzweil stuff.

Yes (vintage classic era): Mellotrons, B3, MiniMoogs, RMI Electric pianos, Polymoog.

Genesis: Mellotrons, RMI, Arp 2600, Arp ProSoloist, Hammond L100 through MXR Phase 100, later used Arp Quadra, Prophet 5 and 10, Roland VP330 (to replace Mellotron).

Booker T: Hammond organ, Wurlie 200A.

Keith Emerson, Hammond C3, Moog Modular synthesizer, and MiniMoog, piano, and on Works, Yamaha GX1. Later incarnations, anything was game.

Eddie Jobson (U.K.): Yamaha CP80, Yamaha CS80, MiniMoogs with sync mods, Hammond C3 with percussion mod.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived