Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick Life

arneyz

If I hit the strings hard (as I am wont to do) with thin picks, they just bend, and I find I have to think too much about playing rather than just simply playing.

I guess what I am saying is that, for some folks, there's a need for the pick to be like a Swiss Army knife, but, for me, I just need it to be a ball-peen hammer.

Yeah...the one downside of thin picks is that they WILL crack at some point...even the Clayton Ultem Gold (which is supposed to be one of the more indestructible pick materials).

And that's another reason why I DO eventually use up my picks...whereas the guys with the thicker picks will have them last almost forever! :grin:

Since you like to hit the strings hard with a thick pick...do you find yourslef breaking strings ever when you do that?

I used to break strings more often when I used .11s, but I graduated to .12s, and I break them less often. Plus, I keep them fairly fresh, so they don't get too much of a chance to get worn and susceptible to breakage.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1mm picks and above always felt better to me personally..

And to the original question.. I use my pick until I lose it.

Last time I bought picks I bought 30 of 'em.... I have about 3 to hand and 27 distributed about my house and work.. Possibly some also in the washing machine, I havent checked the filter in a while.

I always seem to deposit picks in that little "secret pocket " in jeans above the right pocket and they end up in the wash /dryer often too!

Ever since I started using Dunlop Tortex picks years ago I don't think I've ever thrown one away, even if it's worn. They never break! I will lose them often. I like the Green or Pink fairly thick ones. On occassion the Orange or Red thin ones for acoustic strumming or snappy electric rythm.

Neil- cool pic!

Everybody laughs at me 'cause I play with thumb picks. I had one for like a year before I finally retired it, but honestly, I don't remember why.

As far as normal picks go... well, after I broke one on the last chord of a song, I gave up on 'em.

Thanks! Don't let anyone get you down about thumbpicks. I only wish I could get used to them. I play around with them from time to time but I haven't the patience to relearn how to pick with them. It's very different than using my thumb. Most of the guys I emulate use thumbpicks if not fingerpicks. I have relatively low blood pressure. My experience has been if the picks are tight enough to stay on my fingers they entirely cut off blood flow. Painful...

I think the thin/thick pick debate centers around how you learn to do your picking. Guys that like thin picks for fast picking move their wrist or arm further on each stroke, easily putting the pick through the string. Those who use thicker picks need only move a tiny bit to push through the string. Of course, they have to be careful when strumming lest the pick get stuck on a string.

I tend to like thinner picks (when I use pics) for heavy duty strumming but rarely a true, thin pick. They lose too much fundamental and replace it with pick noise.. like playing cards in your bicycle spokes. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

If I hit the strings hard (as I am wont to do) with thin picks, they just bend, and I find I have to think too much about playing rather than just simply playing.

I guess what I am saying is that, for some folks, there's a need for the pick to be like a Swiss Army knife, but, for me, I just need it to be a ball-peen hammer.

Yeah...the one downside of thin picks is that they WILL crack at some point...even the Clayton Ultem Gold (which is supposed to be one of the more indestructible pick materials).

And that's another reason why I DO eventually use up my picks...whereas the guys with the thicker picks will have them last almost forever! :grin:

Since you like to hit the strings hard with a thick pick...do you find yourslef breaking strings ever when you do that?

I used to break strings more often when I used .11s, but I graduated to .12s, and I break them less often. Plus, I keep them fairly fresh, so they don't get too much of a chance to get worn and susceptible to breakage.

i use Big Stubbies 3.0 mm , they are a sledge hammer.

Eric i believe we have similar picking styles.

actually i never break strings with the heavy picks. i use 10's and haven't broken a string for ages. i certainly don't lightly caress the strings either.

i do however prefer super pointy fresh stubbies as opposed to my worn tip ones that are usually found in various pant pockets, the couch or washing machine. :D

Archived