Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid Question... What EXACTLY is a Sequencer?

Zack Pomerleau

Someone asked me this, and I had this face on: :confused: Is it just like a built in recorder, or is it WAY more than that, which I assume it is, sorry, I NEVER have really worked with Synths all that much. Big storm coming to Maine, that means my Keyboard has been delayed, was supposed to be in Tomorrow, or maybe Tuesday, but now Thursday, BOO.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case you feel like you missed out on something with your incoming Alesis QS, it does allow you to import sequences onto flash cards, but that may not be worth the bother. Maybe get yourself a cheap Alesis MMT8 or Yamaha QY series standalone hardware MIDI sequencer... that should satisfy your needs.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

In addition to synthizen2's recommendation, also consider a computer-based sequencer which can be picked up inexpensively too. MIDI up the QS8 and have a blast. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Its a device for decoding DNA.

The term MIDI sequencer really is obsolete these days. MIDI recorder and/or editor would be more accurate for most current systems.

Probably the key distinguishing character of a sequencer should be that the MIDI can be generated offline, one event at a time, either by using a matrix of some sort, (an arpeggiator for example) or else using step time.

Yeah, and sometimes a secuencer is a thing someones fight with instead of make music... (specially that "friendly" Yamaha P250 Secuencer...) :crazy:

GEAR:

Korg 01w/fd (my loved, and faithfull 01...)

Korg KARMA + EXB01 n EXB02

Roland fantom Fa76 + SRX09 World

Yamaha Motif XS7

Yamaha P250

Yeah, and sometimes a secuencer is a thing someones fight with instead of make music... (specially that "friendly" Yamaha P250 Secuencer...) :crazy:

Right.

From the MIDI Musicians's dictionary:

Sequencer: An electronic device that invokes violent profanity by its user.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

In electronic music, a sequencer can be something entirely different from what others here are describing, which is a midi recorder.

It can also be a pattern based sequencer, which plays back midi or control voltage patterns (kind of like a drum machine's pattern mode) OR it can be a step sequencer, which engages several rows of knobs one column at a time by advancing the active stage via a clock. This type predates all others and was used on the original Moog modular synthesizer, and was invented even earlier by Raymond Scott.

Moe

---

Archived