Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Evil Knievel Dies

SilverDragonSoun

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that last night where we ate out as they had the TVs on ESPN. I stopped in my tracks, watched, and I couldn't help but smile at the clips they showed and the memories it brought back. I also had the toys, the motorcycle and the Snake River Canyon rocket, whatever they called it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I stopped to watch, too. Growing up I had every toy they made for EK. My favorite one was the motorcycle that you'd wind up on the little red thingy and let rip across the floor. In the past year or so, I watched a documentary on him...he had an amazing life and from all his injuries and lifestyle issues, wasn't expected to live past 60. he made a liar out of the doctors for 9 year. R.I.P.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I met Evel Knievel when I was 18. All my musician friends were older than me (probably a symptom of being a keyboard player) at that time, and most of them had moved into the "lounge" circuit (making way more money). This was the era of the "fashion show" (I'm assuming this was a nationwide phenomenon and not a Chicago thing? Fashion show: lingerie clad women selling tickets for their outfits to patrons :love:). So my buddies urged me to come check out the whole scene, trying to get me to join their group, as well as laugh at the situation.

There was a club called The Rain here near my house (cheesy disco-type lounge, whose claim to fame was one of those electronic waterfalls), and on a Thursday nite, I and a few of my buddies decided to investigate. The drinking age was 21, and I was assured this would not be an issue, so there was that added allure as well! :thu:

The band plays, and as I lose interest in their bad Elvis/lounge lizard front man, I start checking out the patrons, seeing how this is really going over. And I realize no one is even paying attention (even though it's a full house). But standing at the bar is Evel Knievel, in full regalia: red,white and blue jump suit, silver headed cane, the works. He's surrounded by a bunch of guys, and they're having quite a time, drinking what looked to be Manhattans.

Halfway through the evening, just as I'm ready to bail, the band takes a break. As I go to say my goodbyes, they urge me to stick around for "the best part of the show". Which of course is the lingerie girls. Well, I'd never seen such a thing!!! (I was only 18!) The gals come out, shake it/them around a little bit, and then disperse into the crowd to sell tickets...or whatever it is they were selling.

So as we're sitting here watching them work the room and having a few cocktails, I notice that E.K. has become a little toasted. He's talking loudly, slurring pretty good (as are his buddies). One particularly bodaciously built girl with a cool as hell 1978 'fro is there in front of him, trying to sell him a ticket. As she's working her spiel, E has his cigarette lighter and keeps "illuminating" her chesticular region for a better view. She keeps blowing out his lighter, and he just keeps relighting it. She's talking, he's flicking his Bic, she's blowing it out, and the whole time he's not even looking her in the eye, just at the object(s) of his desire. This went on for at least five minutes, and we were laughing our butts off.

I thought for sure that flimsy baby doll was going to go up in flames and that she was going to be running into the electric waterfall to douse her .... um.... well, you know.

It was a hilarious display of man and woman at their best.

:snax:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

+1 on the windup Evel "action figure" and cycle. One of my friends had a grandmother who worked for Mattel. He had ALL the EK stuff long before it was available in stores. The windup Snake River Canyon cycle. An EK Winnebago (don't know if that ever went into production). Probably my first battle against GAS.

I love the EK interviews on Jim Rome's show. During one, Rome asks him something like "If you knew there was a good chance of you dying from one of these stunts, why did you keep doing it?" EK pauses and says, deadpan, "Do you know who the hell I am?!?" Classic.

EK was an avid golfer, too. Fiercely competitive. Downhill par 3, he hits a bad shot, gets so pissed off that he takes off down the hill in his cart and jumps it over a creek, just barely doesn't wreck. His wife was really pissed off at him for doing it - she was in the cart at the time. :thu:

From Golf Digest.

Regards,

Joe

I met Evel Knievel when I was 18. All my musician friends were older than me (probably a symptom of being a keyboard player) at that time, and most of them had moved into the "lounge" circuit (making way more money). This was the era of the "fashion show" (I'm assuming this was a nationwide phenomenon and not a Chicago thing? Fashion show: lingerie clad women selling tickets for their outfits to patrons :love:).

Man, did this bring back memories! Thanks for the time trip Tony.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Archived