Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Willie Oteri and others deserving more attention

the real buster

Thought some of you might enjoy this and then ask why GP does not know about sooooooo many players? Anyway I enjoy this so hope you do too. Never heard of him until I went to Italy for a vacation but it turns out the guy is from the states.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwbZ1oFoXVs

Also, I am looking for other musicians who need more support if you have any good leads please let me know. Only you can save music.

Thanks,

Buster Ostby

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, GP has long been pretty good about covering lots of lesser-knowns and un-knowns, really; realistically, nobody can cover EVERYBODY. I've heard and met some incredible musicians over the years that have never been covered in any publications that I ever saw. I don't think they've (GP) exactly dropped the ball or been corrupted corporate sell-outs. After all, you never heard of Mr. Oteri until you went to Italy. Maybe he and you can get some attention and we'll eventually read about him (or you, and others) in the pages of GP, and I very sincerely wish you both success all-around!

Thanks for the links, forgive my not checking them out right now (dial-up $uck$, particularly for video, and I don't have all the time in the world). Hopefully I'll remember another time and be able to take the time...

Welcome, and best to you both! Stick around, post again, tell us some more about yourself, your guitars, maybe get Mr. Oteri to do the same, he's welcome here, too!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I think GP does a good job of covering guitarists who have good publicists, lesser or unknown as it be, but a thorough search of who they tend to cover seems to me like they take it all from publicists and record labels rather than seek it out talent themselves. To that end it is still a good publication to be sure. As to not knowing about Mr. Oteri prior to my visit to Italy this is purely my own fault as I tend myself to not read outside of GP as I have a subscription to my small burg where we don't have good magazine stands. That said I have found articles online of Mr. Oteri in JazzTimes, All About Jazz, BAM Magazine, Guitar, Vintage Guitar and many others. Couple this with his Japanese label DIW and perhaps DIW is responsible for not getting the information to GP.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Dialup hey, sorry but small town wi-fi sucks too.

Take care,

Buster Ostby

I think they are always open to ideas. You should make a post in the "Guitar Player Editors' Office" forum. The editor and writers read stuff in there. Not that I can guarantee that they'll use the idea, but you never know...

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/30/page/1

Hey, I didn't see much to get excited about on the first video, and I didn't see Willie Oteri at all on the second one. Based on what I saw, I can guess why GP hasn't covered the guy; there's a thousand others like him.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Just seems like there are a million lead players out there. I think the real struggle is to have a good band that writes good songs and above all has charisma in the vocals. That is more important than guitar soloing. Personally soloing is really not something I enjoy hearing unless the music is cool. Thats why alot of shredders are boring to listen to, because they have boring music they are playing over.

If you listen to alot of the 80's shred stuff you will notice that the music is incredibly easy to play fast licks over because it stays in 1 tonal center and rythmically there isn't a whole lot going on. It is like crafted for wanking!

Thats why old Van Halen was impressive, the stuff he was soloing over was often very complex rythmically. I mean the solo in Jump is like a fusion solo. He just doesn't play like that anymore unfortunately for us but oh well he is EVH he can do whatever he wants!

I will check out more of that guitarist though and keep an open mind. Not saying he stinks or anything but that sound quality isn't doing him any favors!! You know cameras often do that

Just seems like there are a million lead players out there. I think the real struggle is to have a good band that writes good songs and above all has charisma in the vocals. That is more important than guitar soloing. Personally soloing is really not something I enjoy hearing unless the music is cool. Thats why alot of shredders are boring to listen to, because they have boring music they are playing over.

If you listen to alot of the 80's shred stuff you will notice that the music is incredibly easy to play fast licks over because it stays in 1 tonal center and rythmically there isn't a whole lot going on. It is like crafted for wanking!

+1

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

So, Buster- the real Buster- what do you play? What kinda music, what guitar, and all?

I use to play guitar, mostly just for my own doing but now I just find myself looking at others and working a day job. When I did play I had a pretty good Les Paul and some toys. Long time ago. I am just a big fan of good guitar work. I like Belew, Beck, Jimi and players most have not heard of like Terry Haggerty of the Sons. Goes way back. Trying to switch my day job to band promotion but it would mean moving which I can't do right now.

Sorry Buster wasn't trying to be a fartface, just my knee jerk reaction to that one video.

I know the sound quality blows on it.

Not a problem, everyone has their own tastes, I am just a sucker for a good solo. Also, check out Oteri's CD, Spiral Out with Mike Keneally, Tony Levin, Pat Mastleotto and others. Great progressive stuff like King Crimson but on a jazzy side. I think you will find that Oteri is a good band leader and can write some cool stuff. Not for everyone but for my taste it is very good. The problem is the import price but you can find copies for under 15 bucks if you look around. BTW, an original Japanese copy with all Japanese text sold on ebay for 125 bucks about 2 years ago. I guess that says something.

Perhaps it is my fault for posting a video of the man soloing but there just is not much video of Oteri out their and I love wanky solos but so most of you get a better idea of what the man is all about when not just jamming at a Super Session show here is a quote from JazzTimes magazine.

"Initially Oteri offers a more languid approach that creates mood, something rather lacking among this colum's CDs, with their in-yer-face anxiety to please. In many ways this album (Spiral Out) gets closer to the spirit of Miles Davis than the album by Children on the Corner." -- Stuart Nicholson - JazzTimes

When I first saw Oteri in Italy it was a 45 hour long non-stop totally improvised show, yes strange but true, with Tony Levin and some other great players. Lots of wanking to be sure but also some very tasty work that made me think his guitar was not in the mix. It took me a few hours to realize all the B3 parts and keys I was hearing were Oteri and with only a one or two stomp boxes and a Leslie with an old Marshall head. He does some cool Pat Metheney style stuff as well. Please do check him out further. Also, check out Terry Haggerty when you get a chance. He's an old dude but he is really amazing. I think until recently all of the Eric Johnson's CDs list him in the "thank yous". Any Son's fans here or am I too old for the group?

Archived