Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Patitucci Clinic in SF (free)

Wally Malone

Pat Klobas and The Northern CA Bass Club is presenting a free clinic with John Patitucci on Saturday, December 1 at the San Francisco Musicians Union Local 6, 116 9th St. @ Mission in SF. The clinic is from 12-2 p.m.

There will be a raffle, prizes include a GK Back Line 12 bass amplifier donated by GK, bass strings, bow case donated by A & G music and a $75 gift certificate donated by Bronstein Music.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed that only Jeremy has responded that he will be there. This really is free. There is an option to buy raffle tickets prior to the clinic beginning and odds are pretty good since it is not that big of a room and is real intimate.

Hope to meet some Lowdowners there!

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

The clinic was great!

John was outgoing and friendly and answered every question asked him. It was a small room and there were not a whole lot of people. I managed to get eight students there which was about 15% of the crowd.

John brought an upright bass and a six string electric but never played the electric. The event was sponsored by the Northern California Bass Club which is a group of upright players, so that was perfectly logical. His playing was so amazing on upright that nobody felt that they were missing anything by not hearing him on electric.

One of my students turned to me and said, "is he using an amp?"

The answer was no. The question was asked because his sound was enormous. I've never heard an upright sound that good, other than seeing Gary Karr do a recital and that was all with a bow.

Patitucci did pull out a bow at the end and answer some questions about that...once again he was amazing.

The guy is one of the most dedicated musicians I've ever seen. Even though he is considered one of the top players in the country, he studies and practices constantly and is always looking for new challenges.

Two talented high school kids got up and played for a mini master class. The first guy didn't have the greatest sound and John said, "let me look at your bass, maybe it needs some adjustments." Then he played the kid's bass and it was four times as loud. Next he showed how he got more sound out of the bass with his right arm position and hand position.

The guy played Goodbye Porkpie Hat and to give the lesson, John said, "first you should get all the changes under your hands." He demonstrated by picking up the bass and playing the first chord arpeggiated from the bottom of the bass to the top and back and then did the same with the second (at high speed). "Just like this," he said, while we all rolled our eyes. Then he said, "you need more blues in your playing," and demonstrated by playing some riffs in the style of Mississippi Fred McDowell (one of the original Delta blues guitarists). The crowd roared in appreciation.

The second guy had a lot of technique and not much time. Once again, John's demonstrations were killin'. He said, "just play in two for a while." The kid still put too much stuff in and John first demonstrated the two feel and then said, "if you want to get triplets in, you have to have perfect time."

The triplets he demonstrated then once again had the crowd roaring with amazement and appreciation.

To top off the afternoon, one of my adult students won one of the door prizes, a $75 gift certificate to a music store.

The next guy who says, "I don't like Patitucci's playing, there's no feeling," gets a pop in the mouth from me. :)

Thanks to Pat Klobas of the Bass Club for organizing the event, and Wally Malone for calling me up and telling me about it.

I took a few pictures, but they came out terrible, sorry.

John Patitucci webpage

Northern California Bass Club

The guy is one of the most dedicated musicians I've ever seen. Even though he is considered one of the top players in the country, he studies and practices constantly and is always looking for new challenges.

I remember talking to John about 10 or 12 years ago. He probably STILL thinks that there are guys in every city in the country that can kick his butt. Maybe back then, but he has certainly thinned that herd by now.

Archived