Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone hot rod or mod their amp??

SteveC

I know many of us have modded a bass, but how about an amp?

I have always liked the old SWR WM10/12 amps. They have always been good for practice and even small jazz gigs. I have seen people talking about putting a new speaker (Eminence BassLite's for example) in them and really helping the sound and weight.

I was thinking of maybe picking up an old used amp, swapping the speaker, maybe the crossover, get it covered in bed liner stuff, etc.

Anyone have experience? What kind of tweeter could I use? Are the Eminence neo speakers as good as any? Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the bedliner stuff over my cab. It turned out okay. I don't like the texture that it turned out to be with the applicator that I used.

I turned my amp up to 5 once;) does that count? It had never been over 2 with me using it.....

How do you sign a computer screen?

Where's Greenboy when you need him?

Once upon a time I considered putting egg crate foam into a 2x15... I'm not sure what I was thinking about accomplishing, but I was informed by GB and others on this forum that it would be a waste of effort.

I also considered a bedliner treatment for that cab. There was a school name spray painted onto the vinyl. In spite of the paint it had a vintage Tolex vibe about it, I couldn't persuade myself to kill that vibe.

Maybe this thread will give me some ideas.

- Matt W.

Cover it in carpet/bedliner & stick your pedals on with velcro? :D

Greenboy can be found alive, well and twice as nasty at the Talkbass Forum/Amps, usually.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I used to have a Yamaha combo amp. I replaced the Yamaha speaker with a JBL D-140 and the difference was amazing. The amp, which already had sounded ok, ended up with a beautiful warm sound. I sold the thing years ago because it was too big to move around easily.

Currently, I have added 30 hz high pass filters to the effects loops of both of my SWR amps. I can't hear any difference but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I looked into modding the mono effects return on my Superfly to stereo to take advantage of the pair of power amps. But it has a couple of buffer amps in front of the power amps, so was much more than just a wire job. Good idea, though....

Put a crossover and tweeter in my Peavey Hernia 300 Combo. Hated it.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

man, i guess i'm late to the game.

i modded my warwick quadruplet preamp (as well as a few others out in the world -- yes, i've gone global!) to source high power amps more effectively. it's pretty simple, but i did have to get the schematics from tech support at dana b. goods. they're all in german! donnerstag ist der tag!

robb.

I changed a resistor value on the passive input gain stage of my Warwick Blue Cab 20 combo to better match the output of a bass I had with low output.

I also fitted an extension speaker out socket to it to run it through an extension cab just for fun.

Surprisingly it sounds great through a 410! ;)

Hardly hot-rodding, but I guess it qualifies as a mod. :D

Archived