Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Matt Rollings and Steve Nathan are here?

Superboy

That's Fing awesome! These guys play on my favorite country albums. Clint Black, Wynonna, George Strait, Lee Ann Womack, Hank Jr. It's almost like whenever I look at the credits for my favorite guys, it's one of these two or both. The only other one I can think of is this guy Kevin McKendree who is also fantastic, and he plays on my other two favorites, Lee Roy Parnell and Delbert McClinton albums. What's with Nashville, I thought there would be dozens of studio keyboardists running around all over the place? Why do these guys get all the good gigs, they must be really awesome.

I know a lot of people here don't love country like I do (but they respect the musicianship, I'm sure). But I love this stuff! I'm a jazz trio guy, but this good (and I mean good) country music is my guilty pleasure.

If these guys are local at all, I'd love to talk to them sometime. I don't know what I would talk about, but I just love the way they play, and more importantly, I love the albums they play on.

For some reason, even though its nothing fancy or technically difficult, I loved the piano and hammond work on Clint Black's Spend my Time album. especially like the beautiful song "What Ever Happened". Man, even though Clint Black isn't popular anymore, I swear that ever since he started producing his own stuff, it's been awesome. He sounds liberated, who cares if it's not completely traditional, right? I hope he keeps doing more of that stuff.

OK, I'm done rambling. it was nice to hear my favorite players are here. I have favorites in different genres. Obviously Oscar Peterson, Gene Harris, Monty Alexander for jazz. And Matt, Steve, and Kevin are the only guys from Nashville that I know the names of.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll reply to you here instead of the "Best Keyboard Player" thread since it's more on topic here.

Check out these threads

Steve & Matt's Excellent Adventure

Steve & Matt's Excellent Adventure II

Of course, you might want to use the link from his name to view his posts to see what else he has to say. He was more active last year or so, but it's cool to still have him around.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sweet! Another George Strait album is coming out. Man, that guy just doesn't stop making music.

Those threads are pure gold. I mean that. Steve and Matt were very generous with their time and info there. I always wondered if the pros have the same issues and processes in the studio as I do with my groups.

i totally forgot about Matt's work with Lyle Lovett. And Meat Loaf. Good grief, if I did music for a living, my fantasy would be to have Steve or Matt's job as session players, and play in a Ray Brown-like piano trio on the side.

I'm no aficionado of the genre, but I do have Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth, and Matt is all over that.

GOOD LORD YES. I didn't know anybody else knew about that album. That is some SICK piano playing, I love that style. So that dude is on this forum huh? Very cool indeed.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I have JJR but haven't listened to it in a while. That is one excellent album. Rollings really really kicks butt on it. It was produced by George Massenburg, the brilliant engineer/producer who produced all the classic Little Feat albums back in the day. His current era recordings are just stunning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com/cgi-bin/ml/discography.html?id=3QIuhGbo

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Our buddy Steve is single handedly responsible for starting the longest thread in KC history (What Chord is this or something) and for the life of me, I can't 'Search' it. Grrrrrr!

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

It's easier to go to his profile and view his posts. Or, you can go to the links I posted above, click on his name, and select "View posts" from that.

I'm no aficionado of the genre, but I do have Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth, and Matt is all over that.

GOOD LORD YES. I didn't know anybody else knew about that album.

Y'ever hear the surround mix of it? The 5.1 version of Church is pretty great. :thu:

dB

I do have the DTS disc, and have yet to experience it in surround. :cry:

What the hool am I waiting for?!!!

Maybe I should talk to Surround amp Santa.... :rawk:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Saw this while looking for the Aretha thread.

I still hang around here a little, though I do a lot more lurking than posting these days.

Superboy,

Glad to hear of your "guilty pleasure". Country is oft maligned, but at it's best, it is as deep and heartfelt as any blues I've ever heard (or played). We also share some head shaking awe when it comes to my buddy Matt. He is a freak of nature.

Those two "Excelent Adventure" threads corresponds to different George Strait CDs. The first thread was when we cut the tracks for "It Just Comes Natural", and the second is for the upcoming CD.

Steve

There's so much good songwriting in Country, even if I don't like listening to it for more than a couple of hours at a time (max) compared to other genres. And so much good country-influenced music. Country was originally called The Country Blues, was it not? I was told this many years ago, that it did derive from the Blues, but began to merge with Celtic/Irish-derived folk forms as well as what was then the separate genre of Western music.

I am ordering my first Lap Steel Guitar tomorrow. That's one sound that just isn't possible using a sample library, and I love it so much. If I really like it enough to get really serious about it, I will eventually upgrade to a nice pedal steel model.

But in conjunction with this purchase (under $100, before adding the extras :-)), I plan to do at least a short study of Country keyboard techniques while I'm at it, using the Hal Leonard series on keyboard techniques that has a volume each per style. I will definitely appreciate pointers on who to listen for as major players in Country music past and present in terms of keyboard work, as I really know nothing about that side of it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Floyd Kramer. Then, maybe Matt Rollings and Steve Nathan? :D (In all seriousness Mark, those are the only true country keyboard players I know. The rest are rock guys that play country-ish songs sometimes. Maybe the intro to the Hal Leonard book you get will name some others.)

Archived