Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Weiser: There will definitely be a 73-key PC3.

ITGITC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are K'weil's 73s typically weighted, semi-weighted, non-weighted?

The SP76 is semi-weighted. The PC1se is fully-weighted.

KLONK HERE.

I really, really hope that this board is fully weighted.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If it's weighted and only <5lbs different, 88s the way to go.

Thanks for the info.

Got an 88.

I need something smaller and lighter.

I doubt the 73 key will be lighter.

One day I'm going to get rid of the van and buy a sports car.

And I'm going to get some advice from MLC on how to have a successful MidLife Crisis. :thu:

Can a 73 key rig fit into the trunk of a Porsche 911? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

And I'm going to get some advice from MLC on how to have a successful MidLife Crisis. :thu:

Gas:

You're too old for a "mid-life" crisis. Maybe a "latter-part-of-life" crisis? :D

Noah

P.S. Sorry. Really, I am. I just couldn't resist. :wave:

Ouch.

That is why they have more of a Cult Following really.

They DO? :laugh::D

I'm in a cult?

HEY MOM... I'M IN A CULT. CANYA BELIEVE IT? :eek:

Ummmmm, what exactly is a Cult Following?

Hey Mario - You're in a CULT.

Izzat anything like TUPPERWARE?

I know guys who used to keep their herbal medication in Tupperware. Does that count? :thu:

Damn.

I'll bet if the RMI had a Cult Following, I'd be in it. :cool:

As old as you want me to be? But, seriously, think about it, If you put a Hammond B3, A Nord, and a Kurzweil in the room, and they said pick one, most would go for the Nord or the B3. Kurzweil's are awesome boards, but I think most people go for 'bigger' names because of the ease to find them in stores, and plus, they are well known names, i.e. Yamaha.

One day I'm going to get rid of the van and buy a sports car.

Can a 73 key rig fit into the trunk of a Porsche 911? :cool:

Tom, my Nord Electro 76 fits in the trunk of my Saab convertible. They're cheaper to fix than a Porsche, too... ;)

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

As old as you want me to be? But, seriously, think about it, If you put a Hammond B3, A Nord, and a Kurzweil in the room, and they said pick one, most would go for the Nord or the B3. Kurzweil's are awesome boards, but I think most people go for 'bigger' names because of the ease to find them in stores, and plus, they are well known names, i.e. Yamaha.

Zack,

(Where do I start guys?) :)

Zack - You need to do some reading and some studying regarding the history of these manufacturers before I can discuss this with you. If you knew the background, you would better understand the technology that goes into their products. If you understand the technology, you know that commenting about the size of a company doesn't really have anything to do with their innovations and the depth in the design of their products. (Good examples are Moog and Dave Smith, among others.)

I'll try to find some relevant links for you.

But remember, because you aren't quite as familiar with Kurzweil and because their name doesn't pop up as often as Yamaha, Korg, or Roland, does not mean that they aren't a significant force in the marketplace.

Believe me, it is very exciting to visit the Sonikmatter forum and read what their sound developers are doing with the design of the PC3 - especially knowing the history behind the technology as well as the history behind this company.

Google Kurzweil. Read about Ray Kurzweil, the man. Get an understanding of the work he did with Stevie Wonder, the reading (Optical Character Recognition) machine, and artificial intelligence.

http://www.kurzweiltech.com/images/stevie_concert.jpg

Listen to the voicings on the Kurzweil keyboards and compare them to other products on the market. Study VAST, if only to get an overview of this powerful technique for sound design. Talk to people such as our moderator, Dave Bryce, who helped program many of the sounds within these instruments.

Kurzweil, the company, has been going through some tough times in the past few years. Read about how they are now making a comeback. Personally, I think that their new product, the PC3, will have a very good chance of being a huge hit in the marketplace. With all the intelligent design work that is being put into this product, I see no reason why it couldn't be the most sought-after performance controller of its type on the market.

Yes, Kurzweil needs to get their distributors organized and behind them with full support. According to CJ Lewis, they are working on this now.

Frankly, I feel certain that it will be worth the wait.

Sonikmatter Forum Link Here

Ray Kurzweil Biography

Y'know, I think that at some point, you can't get your head any farther up there, but sure enough you keep on pushing... ;):wave:

Hey, I never said Kurzweil wasn't widely used, I never said they were a little company, but I most ALWAYS see Yamaha's. I have seen Kurzweil, but the least. It is like it has its cult following that is willing to try. I tried them, but weight was a no no. Hey, Stven, I don't think that needed to be said. I am sorry I did say "well known names" but Yamaha etc is the BIG one you know.

Hey, I never said Kurzweil wasn't widely used, I never said they were a little company, but I most ALWAYS see Yamaha's. I have seen Kurzweil, but the least. It is like it has its cult following that is willing to try. I tried them, but weight was a no no. Hey, Stven, I don't think that needed to be said. I am sorry I did say "well known names" but Yamaha etc is the BIG one you know.

LOL... so, because you haven't seen them, and because you would choose a Nord over a Kurzweil (no disrespect to our Swedish friends), that means it's a cult product.

Yeah... okay. Hate to say it, but it did need to be said. :rolleyes:

:wave:

Hey Zack, it's cool. No worries.

Sven can be a bit gruff at times, but we do love him so.

He's been around here long enough that, like an uncle who falls asleep, snores, and farts in the easy chair after a big Thanksgiving dinner, he's just part of the family.

I know what you mean. It's not easy finding Kurzweil in the stores. And their product line isn't nearly as deep as the big three.

And the weight of their instruments isn't as light as the Clavia Nord keyboards.

But don't let that stop you from digging a bit deeper.

The old Kurz stuff is good, and if you know how to tweak it, it gets a whole lot better.

The new Kurz stuff has the chance to be a winner. It really does. And that's what many of us are hoping for.

The guys who design and build our toys are a small group of bright folks. Some of them even hang around this forum.

Our hope is that they stay. Because if they do, then perhaps they'll listen to our praise of their products. And if they are still listening, maybe they'll stick around when we bitch and moan a little in hopes of making for a better keyboard.

Like I said, it's a small group - kinda like a fraternity, if you will.

So be nice. It's all good. Yes. Every product has benefits and many of the folks on this forum who have put their hard-earned money into buying these products see them as a piece of themselves. Others who program them and/or use them to make a living are even more zealous about their choice in hardware.

So forgive Sven, do a bit of reading and studying, pick up the user's manual and at least try to do some programming on your keyboard, learn your scales and how to play in all keys without hitting the transpose button, and be kind to animals.

Like I said, it's all good. :cool:

Does anyone know yet if the PC3X will have balanced vs. graded hammer action?

BTW, my Sweetwater rep tells me today that the release date is most likely pushed back towards end of December vs. 8 December, but that early orders will probably still be the basis for getting the free VA-1 expansion (though he doesn't know with certainty).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

FWIW, after playing my parents' Mason & Hamlin and Steinway grands during my Thanksgiving visit, I am so reminded of how different even a graded hammer action digital piano is from the real thing, ESPECIALLY when it comes to playing at the piano and pianissimo dynamic levels, that I have almost concluded that graded vs. balanced hammer action is not likely to make much of a difference in terms of how playing a digital piano/keyboard affects one's chops when heading back to a true acoustic piano later on.

This has long been a major concern for me, coming originally from primarily an acoustic piano background, as I have generally found that not practicing at all does less damage to my classical technique (when I get back into it later on after an absence) than practicing on a poorly or inappropriately actioned digital keyboard.

Likewise, this could tie into what the action is like on a 73-key or 76-key model. Though just as with the Studiologic VMLplus series, the weight and pirce difference between the two is unlikely to be large enough to make a difference except for those who simply can't spare those extra few inches on-stage or in their car (I have a 1991 Mazda Protege subcompact and can just barely fit most 88-key boards -- and only when in a gig bag vs. a hard case -- but would consider something like a Mini Cooper if only it could fit a full-size keyboard).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Gas Man sure knows how to be nice and diplomatic like. You should run for presidency or something! ;) Or maybe just Mayor. Ground control to Mayor Tom...

Zack, you got that reaction from the others because your comment was quite inaccurate, and it does seem to stem its basis from a "more recent" perspective, thus I presume, Tom's question regarding your age.

For example, if we're talking "brand power", I would actually say "Kurzweil" is a much bigger name than "Clavia" (or "Nord" as you know it). If anything, Clavia has more of a cult following, which has only recently gained popularity with their Stage and Electro keyboards (and alot of publicity stemming from the Internet, which allows small companies to reach a wider audience - one of the greatest benefits of the Internet). Clavia/Nord apparently still only have 20 employees, from what I've read.

Oops, just read the SonikMatter thread, and someone foolishly gives a dollar quote from their Sweetwater rep saying $2430; whereas my pre-order is at the price listed on their website of $2730. I hate it when people do that; makes me feel like a patsy, and hurts everyone's reps.

Oh, and I firmly believe that small companies are the ones that really deliver and innovate. Big companies, ironically, cannot afford to take any risks or do anything out of the ordinary because the numbers matter too much to them.

So if anything, I hope more companies stay small and stay a cult following (those that are). That, is by no means a bad thing.

I dont think Zack is that far off with his statement and some of the near fanatic responses to him using the term cult following is quit ironic. Maybe boutique instrument is a more accurate description of the Kurzwell status in the market the past few years. But that cult following may also be what has kept Kurzwell alive during the strife of ownership changes and development uncertainty. A cult following has been a positive for movies and TV series so why is it seen as a negative for a musical instrument? I consider the original MiniMoog to have a cult following, and most musicians that have owned a Chroma or Matrix are pretty fanatical about those instruments.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

To some people, "cult" has negative connotations of being mindless, brainwashed, or clueless. Hence they resent the term.

And if you all don't bow down immediately and acknowledge that the Chroma is the greatest instrument of all time, I'll hold my breath until I turn blue!

Moe

---

Oh, and I firmly believe that small companies are the ones that really deliver and innovate. Big companies, ironically, cannot afford to take any risks or do anything out of the ordinary because the numbers matter too much to them.

So if anything, I hope more companies stay small and stay a cult following (those that are). That, is by no means a bad thing.

I really don't see this. Yamaha, over the years, has given us numerous innovations (CS80, CP70, FM7, VL1). Recently this hasn't been true, I'll give you that. The Roland V-Synth GT is a marvelous synth with a number of unique technologies onboard. And of course the OASYS which is the first software-based synth. There is nothing like it and it was bold and risky on Korg's part to bring it to market. That's not to say Clavia and Kurzweil haven't been innovative. They have, but are just as guilty as the big three when it comes to repackaging their core technologies.

I don't see the PC3 as hugely innovative (maybe I'm missing something). I do think if they can improve KB3+FXs to the point where it's competitive with the B3 hardware clones, add the VA-1 module and maybe some full featured FM synthesis, the PC3 could be pretty damn hot as a multi-synthesis platform.

Busch.

Archived