Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Looking at LCD tv's...

DanS

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD 1080p for the family this Christmas.

Any opinions?

Can't do Plasma cuz of the glare from windows during the day.

I checked it out alongside a Sony Bravia, and to my eyes the Sharp was well..sharper.

Danké.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Bravia, and it does an excellent job of displaying all the jagged aliased blobs of compressed crap from the DirecTV signal in sharp vivid focus.

Ironically, football is less watchable on my fancy hi res screen than it is on an old picture tube set.

Moe

---

I have a Bravia, and it does an excellent job of displaying all the jagged aliased blobs of compressed crap from the DirecTV signal in sharp vivid focus.

Moe, is that specific to the Sony or would that abberation happen to any LCD HDTV?

Talking about LCD panels, here's an interesting story:

Apple iMac Display Problems

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I've had a widescreen Sony 34" CRT (tube set) HDTV for a couple of years, and it still seems to out-perform the plasmas and LCDs in terms of picture quality. Trouble is, I want a bigger screen, and something that takes up less space in the family room (this thing weighs 200 pounds). I'll probably pull the trigger on a bigger screen next year.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

So far, here's the run down. Plasma still has the superior picture, particularly the black levels. Yet, it generates heat and the screen has a shorter life span than does DLP or LCD. Also, there are are backlit LCD screens which might help you with that glare problem. Further, while 1080p (progressive as opposed to interlace scanning)is the current buzz, at 10 ft viewing distance, a person cannot differentiate 720 from 1080 much less the difference between i and p. Just like for keyboard specs, don't believe the hype. View and buy what pleases your eye and make sure that when you get it home you change the video showroom ultra bright settings that they use to lure you in. I bought a Samsung 1080i 42 inch LCD this past summer and have been very pleased. Remember always to heed the words of the wise before you buy... "Google is your friend."

Moe, is that DirecTV HD or the standard def signal? We tried to upgrade to DirecTV HD a year ago but it turns out there are too many trees in the way (they said they hit 5 satellites, and it's a 40 deg spread). At least we get the over the air HD.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

CNET's Opinion

It's just one opinion. Everybody's got opinions.

I like to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and stand there in front of 'em all & just stare. So far I believe the Sony's got the best picture. But it's pricey.

I need a 32". Why? Because WIFEY bought an entertainment center that won't hold anything bigger. I would bet that many people are in this same predicament.

That's OK. The room is small and we're sitting pretty close to the TV anyway.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD 1080p for the family this Christmas.

Any opinions?

Can't do Plasma cuz of the glare from windows during the day.

I checked it out alongside a Sony Bravia, and to my eyes the Sharp was well..sharper.

Danké.

does it have 10,000 to 1 contrast ?

you also have to consider;

what HD format does your cable co transmit ? How will your HD LCD ' match up ' to that ?

what about audio ? the good quality mini audio systems for a HD LCD will set you back a minimum of $600 USD

how are you installing ? a good wall mount job will cost $350

I am leaning towards a good table top for the HD LCD. This will cost about $450

adds up quickly, doesn't it ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The only way to get 1080p is from a HD DVD output. Cable / Sattellite doesn't provide this resolution.

1920 non-interlaced scan lines (1080p) is only going to make a difference over 1125 (1080i) to you from 6 feet away on a 32" set. Most folks wouldn't be able to discern the difference between 720p and 1080p from 10 feet.

Furthermore, just because a television can handle a "1080p" signal - doesn't mean it actually has the native rez capable of displaying it. Most don't, particularly not at that size.

Addendum: The big racket in HDTV now is the celebration of 1080p capability - except there's not a single TV on the market capable of delivering 2 million pixels in native rez. They downcovert those 2 million pixels back to the 1 million they can actually output.

The crap signal I get is the regular DirecTV signal, not HD. I have this bundle package from Qwest that bundles satellite, phone, long distance, and DSL internet into one bill.

It's obscene what I am already paying, so I have no interest in upgrading.

However, word has it that Santa is bringing my daughter a game machine that plays Blu ray DVDs, therefore I see a Bladerunner Ultimate DVD package in Blu ray in my immediate future. ;)

Moe

---

The only way to get 1080p is from a HD DVD output. Cable / Sattellite doesn't provide this resolution.

One store had a HD box bundled with the tv.

It's all moot anyway. The dvd player I just got 'up-converts' to 1080p, but I bought it for it's ability to play SACD's & DVD-A's.

Blu-Ray players start at $500 up here, dvd's are $30 etc, so I won't be doing that format for awhile.

Just for the background, I'm replacing a 32" JVC behemoth from the early nineties, so anything will be an improvement for my failing iSight.

Well..

SHE gets the clicker most of the time to watch The Home and Garden Channel.

Somebody here explain to me WHY I would put money into a HDTV when I could use that money to buy a new keyboard?

Anybody? :rolleyes:

(A pin is heard dropping in the back of the room.)

That's excactly what I thought.

Rock on. :thu::rawk:

Well..

SHE gets the clicker most of the time to watch The Home and Garden Channel.

Somebody here explain to me WHY I would put money into a HDTV when I could use that money to buy a new keyboard?

Because crickets are cool in hi-def????

Ah, the "too expensive" players...

One day, we'll learn that those first-gen players are built like tanks...

Nothing is built like a tank anymore, not even a tank.

Evidence to the contrary:

VHS players. Back when they all cost $1000, 90% of them would last 10 years or more. I have a friend with a large collection of old Betamax and VHS players that date from the early 80's, that still work like new. Now that they're all under $100, you're lucky to get a year or two of regular use out of them.

DVD players. Back when they first dropped, at over $400 a whack, they were ruggedly built, and could be depended on for at least 5-6 years of service. Now that theyre under $100, you'll be lucky to see 2 years before the lasers lose alignment and need service.

Expensive passive entertainment is a waste of my time :) Why do so many folks here refuse to pay over $1,000 for their live amplification?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I really don't watch too much TV, mainly DVDs and just a couple of shows. Though I'll admit I was bitten by the HDTV bug and have been watching a bit more - I actually watched some sports this past weekend in my own house! I usually only watch sports one time per year at a SuperBowl party.

I have done tons of research on the topic and lots of comparison shopping. I agree with the comments that it is hard to discern a difference between 720p and 1080p. I think that becomes more of a nicety if you actually have a 1080p signal coming into a rather large set (e.g. >50"). What this means is that it is a GREAT time to buy those now antiquated :D 720p sets. It is amazing how the prices are dropping.

I had friends on the bleeding edge maybe 5-6 years ago, paying upwards of $6k for plasma sets that could now be purchased in the $1k range...plus, the older sets were more trouble-prone as the bugs were getting worked out. I think HD sets have stabilized from a reliability standpoint, but it is wise to stick with the better brands (e.g. Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, etc) rather than the "never heard of it before" brands.

Last year we got a 42" Panasonic plasma that I mounted on what used to be an exterior brick wall as part of a larger renovation project. That TV is amazing. We have the HD converter box from Comcast (I won't pay $50 extra per month for digital cable). We get probably about 15-20 HD channels, seems like it was just 5-10 a year ago and they are gradually being added. I can sit and stare at the Discovery channel for hours.

We recently picked up a 32" Sony LCD for a smaller room that had a 15 year old set that was taking up a bunch of room. This new TV improves the room dramatically.

Here's to TV GAS!

Regards,

Eric

Griff is right about the quality of some of the newer types of electronic gear, they don't last. This is one case of "They don't make 'em like they use too".

Years ago, my mother had a Sony Triniton. She had that TV on 10 to 12 hours a day, for 18 years. Finally, the power supply died. (Big surprise huh?) About 8 years ago I bought a 32" Zenith TV and had it on about 12 hours a day, even if I wasn't watching it. Most of the time it was "watching me" sleep. After 5 years, the power supply died. 5 years? Come on! I never replaced it, no TV. About 3 years ago, I bought my sister a Panasonic flat screen TV. That lasted about 18 months, then the power supply died. One thing, these TV's all died in different houses, so its not MY AC power being too hot or too low.

Until someone can make a TV that has a power supply that will last about 10 years, no TV for Mike.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Until someone can make a TV that has a power supply that will last about 10 years, no TV for Mike.

Mike T.

Know what?

Here's my take on it...

I've got a standard def Sony 32" TV. It's been in the shop once - the power supply had some components that went bad.

Other than that, it's got a beautiful picture.

Now I'm not here to say that the Sony TV is the best TV on the market - but I haven't seen one with a better picture.

Nope.

OK. So what if you plug it into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)?

I think the reason the power supply failed is that the AC (mains) lost power for a millisecond, then the power was immediately restored.

Blink and you would have missed it.

Providing the high voltage needed for that CRT puts a huge demand on the power supply.

So, if you had a UPS - and it wouldn't need to be a big UPS - even if you had a small UPS, and the power went off, then came back on in the timeframe of a second or less, the TV would never see the interruption and the high voltage being supplied to the CRT would never collapse only to be immediately created again.

The power supply would be spared a gruelling test of strength and endurance.

Makes sense to me.

But hell, what do I know? I was a business major in college. :rolleyes:

Yeah.

:snax:

OH yeah....BIG POINT....

Plasmas get BURN IN....LCD's don't.

Burn in's are when you watch a certain channel all the time and the logo or ticker down at the bottom BURNS INTO your screen.

LCD is the way to go for sure!

Also....I have a UHF antenna for my local channels.

I get 6 of them in HD.

The picture is even better than my HD-Dish Network Satellite signal, and that's pretty darn good.

Good luck.

Randy

"Just play!"

Ah, the "too expensive" players...

One day, we'll learn that those first-gen players are built like tanks...

Nothing is built like a tank anymore, not even a tank.

Evidence to the contrary:

VHS players. Back when they all cost $1000, 90% of them would last 10 years or more. I have a friend with a large collection of old Betamax and VHS players that date from the early 80's, that still work like new. Now that they're all under $100, you're lucky to get a year or two of regular use out of them.

DVD players. Back when they first dropped, at over $400 a whack, they were ruggedly built, and could be depended on for at least 5-6 years of service. Now that theyre under $100, you'll be lucky to see 2 years before the lasers lose alignment and need service.

Evidence to the contrary #2. My first generation Sony started shitting the bed 2 years after I bought it. The movies lost their color and started playing back in B&W! The sales tech told me I was lucky it lasted that long?

It behaved well for the next couple of years (lasted about 8), afte a couple of cleanings, and finally caved a month ago when the drive door refused to open. I was looking for a new one anyway, so now it's piled somewhere in the studio.

After a lot of research I went with a Samsung LCD. It won out over Sharp because of the number of HDMI inputs. The negative in that decision is regular channels look worse on the Samsung than they did on the Sharp. Hop over to Amazon and read user reviews on the models you are considering.

Sports can be the worst thing to watch on HD because the crowd movement in the backgrounds overloads the compressed video converters faster than poly-aftertouch over MIDI. The cheapest way to watch good HD is a Sony Playstation 3 and BlueRay discs from Netflix.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived