Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Big Muff -- quick question

dcr

I'm thinking of getting one of these. However, they come in two boxes: a chrome one & a black one. Otherwise, they seem the same, although I haven't tried them in person. But they have different prices! Anyone know the difference?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From wikipedia:

Currently the Big Muff Pi is offered in three versions: the US-made Big Muff Pi, which can be identified by its silvery metal casing; the less expensive Sovtek Big Muff Pi, made in Russia and distinguished by its dark green or black casing and less ornate graphics; and the Little Big Muff Pi, a US-made version which contains the same circuit as the US Big Muff Pi, but is housed in a smaller, brushed aluminum case. The company also offers the Double Muff, which consists of two separate Muff Fuzz circuits in one pedal, designed to be run either singly or in series to produce a more intense, "over the top" distortion, and the Metal Muff, which adds EQ controls to the basic Muff circuit in order to modify the mids for a tone closer to that of many heavy metal guitarists.

Hope that helps.

Many bassists, including myself, prefer the Russian one. However, don't buy it online, try it and then buy that exact one if you like it - the quality control and tolerance control is so loose that they all sound different. You may need to use a soldering iron on it every now and again.

Alex

We actually have both of them at the rehearsal spot, and our bassist has used both.

The Russian (black one) had a lot of problems... It'd sound good one day and like crap the next.

The American (shiny metal) one was more consistent and sounded better overall, but it wasn't all that great in the final analysis.

Our bassist now uses my old Ibanez Tone-Lok Phat-Hed, believe it or not... and it sounds better than either of the above.

Expensive as it might be, the only way to go when you wanna get fuzzy is the Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth.

Seriously.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Expensive as it might be, the only way to go when you wanna get fuzzy is the Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth.

Seriously.

As posted in 'if you could only choose one' thread, my choice was the woolly mammoth. I think it retails for over $300, but the sound, the sound!

Archived