Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Player Magazines - What do you do with them???

rw2003

Over the years I've accumulated a lot of GP mags. I hate the idea of getting rid of them so I keep 'em. The last few years' worth are in a book shelf and the rest are packed away in boxes in the basement.

I actually had Guitar Player magazines going back to the late 70's stored in my parent's basement but they recently had some water down there and the mags were ruined so out they went.

Do you subscribe and if so what do you do with your GP mags once you've read through them a few times?

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had every issue since April 1976 and some back issues before that. Some have been lost by loaning :rolleyes: them to people. I also have the GP bound book with the first 4 issues. Love those ads..."The new [name of guitar] guitar is NOW!" :D

I keep them all. I love going back to the old issues reading what was state of the art at the time.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I keep them, and there are hundreds of the )(#$(#@* things since I started reading it in 1969 or so. No I don't have a complete collection, and some of them are damaged.. stupid stuff like clipping out pages instead of photocopying them. Borders on brain dead actually!

I do have a valuable collection, though. Maybe someday I'd sell it... but I still like to have them around and leaf through old ones to see what I missed the first time!

And I still look forward to the new GP every month!

As soon as they fill up the magazine basket in the bathroom, wifey makes me get rid of them... I usually give them to a co worker... (I've spent alot of intense time with those mags.)

Try metamucil. :)

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Ditto with Michael Patrick. :D

Randy

You saved Michael Patrick or did he end up in the recycle bin?? :confused:

:D

I have most every issue I've bought, but that hasn't been many. I subscribed at one time, in the mid-late 1980's, so most of mine are from that time. I've barely touched them in years.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Man, I've been a subscriber since the middle 70's with only a brief period break while I was overseas in the USAF.

If I had all those mags...I'd need to rent some storage space. :D

I keep the really good one and toss the rest and sometimes, tear out a page or two.

Hey Neil...

I DID save that GP mag that had the VW artical with that VW guitar that I got from my wife's Jetta. :D

Gotta hang on to that one. :D

OH yeah...Mike's here....I wouldn't throw him in the recycle bin. ;):D

Randy

"Just play!"

Cool Randy! If you ever decide to sell the VW guitar the article would be a nice add for the buyer and possibly net you a few bucks extra for its collector-guitar status. ;)

I still have a few pristine "sound pages" (floppy records) in several issues, IIRC. One of the first times I heard Joe Satriani was the sound page of the original recording of Crush Of Love. I love Vai's version of Blue Powder as recorded for another sound page that vastly differed from the eventual album version.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Man, if I ever sold that guitar....my wife would kill me seeing that it was a present. :D

Hey, it actually sounds pretty decent. :)

YEah, there's some cool stuff in the GP mag that is worth saving.

I like to save those mags with prominent bands or Up and Coming bands that I think will do well.

But...what do I know, huh? :D

Randy

"Just play!"

As soon as they fill up the magazine basket in the bathroom, wifey makes me get rid of them... I usually give them to a co worker... (I've spent alot of intense time with those mags.)

Try metamucil. :)

GP mag is my Metamucil! :/ LOL

I have a private bathroom that pretty much only my oldest son and I use. My wife has been pleading for me to get rid of my old GP's but I have a cart in bathroom with 3 shelves that holds alot. On top of that I have a friend that gave me some Guitar and Bass mags from the UK to add to the clutter. I'm sure before the holidays I'll have to put them elsewhere. I don't have any that are too old, I moved into a new house a few years ago and tossed a ton.

I too am guilty! I keep every single one I have purchased since 78.

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Man, if I ever sold that guitar....my wife would kill me seeing that it was a present. :D

Hey, it actually sounds pretty decent. :)

Randy

Well I might know what it sounds like had you told me to bring an amp! I have a Peavey Decade that runs on batteries (8" speaker) and a few processors that could've driven headphones, but NOOOOOO!!! You had to tease me by letting me play it acoustically. Oh, the agony! :freak:

Okay... That might be a bit of melodrama. ;)

Remind me to never get any back issues from rickygclef. Eewwwww! :eek::freak:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have kept all mine. Neil, I forgot all about those floppy records. I still have a bunch of those too. My record player isn't working that well these days, though :(

Not to hijack the thread here but Randy, you have me curious about this VW guitar.

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

I would love to save every one along with several other magazines I get. The wife hates the piles and they get ruined in the garage. I recently built a shed to store speakers, amps, mixers... one half has a nice workbench with nice tools.

Before I could get my gear in were I wanted, my wife had both sides of the over head storage filled and was woking on the side I was going to but the large speakers. But I still love her!

The shed is climate controlled complete with 240 and 120 vac. It is perfect for magazine storage but looks like room is a problem again.

I might go back to what I did when I was very active in music. Rent a climate controlled storage unit. Keep what I need at home and put to "keeper" stuff and audio reinforcement gear in the unit.

Peace

Hey Splitting hare....here's a link that explains it.

I got it when my wife bought a new VW Jetta when they had a VW/First Act guitar promotion going on.

You may have seen the TV ads.

Randy

http://www.firstact.com/AboutFirstAct/InTheNews/09_28_2006_VW.aspx

Here's the Slash/VW/First Act commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv9Z6W4nCY

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I have every guitar player magazine I have ever purchased from 1972 to present day. There was a gap in there from 1974 to 2004 when I stopped playing guitar. That being said, even if I had not stopped subscribing I would probably still have all of them.

That is because my wife recently made me go through all my mags and weed them out, This is what I found:

Mad Magazines from the mid 60s to early 70s

Famous Monsters of Filmland from the 60s

Creepy Magazines from the 60

National Lampoon from 70s and 80s

Playboy and Penthouse, 3 decades worth

Model Railroader, hundreds from 1950s to present.

Disc Golf World, 12 years

Bullseyes News, 15 years

Art in America, 3 decades

Artnews, 3 decades

Chess Life, 3 decades

And many others like Smithsonian, National Geographic, Guns of the Old West, Time, Newsweek, etc.

Literally thousands of magazines, I kept the collectables and all my Guitar Mags, I still have hundreds and hundreds!

Archived