Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Kawai piano / controller

Tom Fiala

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems that Kawai's claim to fame has always been their superb action, with the actual piano sounds lagging somewhat behind, comparatively. I played an MP-8 about a year ago, which generally supported this observation. Hopefully, the MP8-II has brought these two features more closely in line.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Some previous discussion on the other new Kawai digital piano should be of interest - the lighter (non-wooden keys) MP5 which feature the exact same sounds as the MP8 II:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1756849/page/1

The impressions posted indicated that the sounds have been improved, although it seemed quite likely that the samples used were the same as the previous generation.

I think this calls for more people to go out there and test them out (i would if i can find one!) and post their impressions please :)

I had a brief play of both the MP5 and MP8 at a Kawai dealer's a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I had just been playing a couple of superb Kawai acoustics just prior to trying the DPs, but even so I didn't think the sound of either was comparable to either my Yamaha CP33 or the Roland FP-4. Oh, and both weigh more than either the competitors mentioned.

I love Kawai acoustics and if I had unlimited money might even choose one above a Steinway, but the digitals just aren't up to par, IMO.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I was actually fairly surprised by the quality of the MP8 pianos (both #1 and #2) over at that comparison site (sorry, the link is bookmarked on my home computer), so kawai has come a long ways. I even felt it was the best hardware piano available next to the GEM!

Even so, it is so heavy that it would be a stay-at-home piano like a CP300, so I personally am not considering one. If the same action was put in a standalone controller, that would be great.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived