Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chamberd LP

Zuben

And straight from the horse's mouth...

Check out the success of Gibson USAs chambering techniques by picking up any of a number of new Les Pauls, including the LP Studios, Classics, and Standards. Alongside these, the Les Paul Supreme has its own, entirely different weight relief system, which has been engineered specifically to benefit that model. Les Pauls in the Custom Shops VOS range, on the other hand, are prepared with bodies that are not weight relieved, but which are generally light and resonant thanks to the rare and expensive wood stocks acquired for use in these guitars, which is reflected in the increased prices of these models.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And straight from the horse's mouth...

Check out the success of Gibson USAs chambering techniques by picking up any of a number of new Les Pauls, including the LP Studios, Classics, and Standards. Alongside these, the Les Paul Supreme has its own, entirely different weight relief system, which has been engineered specifically to benefit that model. Les Pauls in the Custom Shops VOS range, on the other hand, are prepared with bodies that are not weight relieved, but which are generally light and resonant thanks to the rare and expensive wood stocks acquired for use in these guitars, which is reflected in the increased prices of these models.

No shit? They've been doing this since the 80s?

I have a Standard and there's NO signs of any chambering in the body... and it is heavy (mine's a 90' standard).

HOLY CRAP!!! There's no way I'd pay that much for one of those, limited edition or not! YIKES!!!

Neither would I. That's as much as a decent PRS Custom 22. I think you can guess which one I'd buy.

There would be absolutely no question! :thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/swisscheese.jpg

Ok but why would the Gibson standard specs say "mahogany" and the Supreme say "chambered mahogany"? From the article you showed me, it sounds like they chamber all of them so not saying that in the Standard specs is misleading.

I'm not against chambered LPs as long as they spell it out which is and which isn't.... which they're not doing.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/swisscheese.jpg

Ok but why would the Gibson standard specs say "mahogany" and the Supreme say "chambered mahogany"? From the article you showed me, it sounds like they chamber all of them so not saying that in the Standard specs is misleading.

I'm not against chambered LPs as long as they spell it out which is and which isn't.... which they're not doing.

Like I posted above, there's a bit of a difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved";

the former is more of a specific design, with blueprinted chambers of various shapes and sizes routed-out by plan for acoustic properties, not unlike those found on the "solid-body acoustic-electric" Chet Atkins nylon- and steel-string guitars.

The latter might be more random, and consists of large, round holes bored part-way through the mahogany to lessen the weight.

Either way, it's still solid mahogany, as opposed to laminated, plywood (not counting the carved maple cap that's laminated to the top). It's solid wood, just as much as a center-seamed piece of spruce with a sound-hole in it and braces glued all over the backside is a solid-top on a flat-top acoustic guitar.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The article says that the Supreme has a different chambering system from the others specifically to give it its own sound. So in this case the word "chambering" has marketing value so they use it in the description. If they are just doing it to make the axe lighter, it's not as much of a marketing thing so they (conveniently) neglect to mention it...

Like I posted above, there's a bit of a difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved";

the former is more of a specific design, with blueprinted chambers of various shapes and sizes routed-out by plan for acoustic properties, not unlike those found on the "solid-body acoustic-electric" Chet Atkins nylon- and steel-string guitars.

The latter might be more random, and consists of large, round holes bored part-way through the mahogany to lessen the weight.

Either way, it's still solid mahogany, as opposed to laminated, plywood (not counting the carved maple cap that's laminated to the top). It's solid wood, just as much as a center-seamed piece of spruce with a sound-hole in it and braces glued all over the backside is a solid-top on a flat-top acoustic guitar.

The article on the Gibson website uses the terms interchangably..

Michael and everyone,

Thanks for the input. The $ isn't much of a problem. I need the tone only a LP can give. I have a few LPs that folks have offered to me to borrow but they are all heavy and if I am going to continue, I need to pick one up for myself.

I am going to have to check some out of town storea as our one great music store have been raped by the new owner and carries junk. I use to call the former owner and tell him what I was looking for and within 2 days, he have a handful for me to try out.

Peace

There's a bit of a difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved"; the former is more of a specific design, with blueprinted chambers of various shapes and sizes routed-out by plan for acoustic properties, not unlike those found on the "solid-body acoustic-electric" Chet Atkins nylon- and steel-string guitars. The latter might be more random, and consists of large, round holes bored part-way through the mahogany to lessen the weight.

I finally found some X-Rays of what you are talking about.

Second to the last post.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

You could always call your friend, Zub, and have him let Mudcat, Bejeeber and I have a chance to play it for you! :) No?!? Really... we'll be honest.

Whadda ya mean, "No!"?? :D

What?! I'm not on the list?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

We live in Nashville, K! But you're welcome to jump in the car or buy a plane ticket and join us! ;):thu::D

...In 30+ years, I have never had the chance to play a chambered LP. Now I have the chance to pick one op cheap (cheap as LPs go) from a friend but I have never played it. He lives in Nashville...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have seen the X-rays of LPs on the forum site to show they were weight relived when some didnt believe it but not the 'topless' photo, interesting
Wonder what the new Linkin Park album would sound like if they didn't have Perfect Circle to steal from.

Archived