Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Friday Tomorrow! WOO!

Zack Pomerleau

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Roland FP-4 and the Yamaha CP33 have been covered pretty thoroughly in multiple threads here. I'm not familiar with the other one.

My advice would be to use headphones when trying these keyboards, since the sound coming from a sound system will be quite different from the sound of internal speakers. Good luck on your new purchase and enjoy it.

I thought this was a threat about Steely Dan. (sorry, bad joke)

Hey Zack, just wondering, but did you ever get your XK-1 or did you go in a different direction?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

My daughter is all set to buy a keyboard.. and is giving the FP4 serious consideration. Sure hope it's as good as everyone claims. ;)

One question, please don't make me search: what are it's advantages over the FP7? Merci.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

.. ok, weight and price. Good reasons to choose the FP-4.

To get a little more specific: she was told that the FP-7's key action is superior, and I do recall some of you talking about clacking keys on the FP-4.

Any thoughts on that?

I can't shop with her, unfortunately we live many miles apart.

gangsu, the FP7 looks better, easier layout with LCD screen, slightly better action, better sounding built -in speakers, and a memory key for file use.

If your daughter can afford it and won't be carrying it around, go with the FP7. Otherwise, the FP4 sounds the same through its outputs and through headphones. A little more trouble to set up internal changes, but basic sounds are easy and at your fingertips. Key noise, if it occurs, is not a big deal and happens on other brands too. The FP4 is a great portable piano keyboard, considering it shares the same sounds found in the FP7. Compared through headphones or speakers, there is no difference.

Thanks, SK.

She will be carrying it around. But she's kind of fit. Not like the rest of us. ;) She's also been eyeing that 71 lb monstrosity, what's it called?

I'll pass on the info.

Gangsu, even fit, strong women can injure their backs lugging equipment around. If it's going to be carried around a lot, I'd certainly advise the FP-4. For the admittedly brief time I played it, I wasn't that impressed with the FP-7's action. What I really want is the CP33 action with the FP-4's sounds and response curve, but that's another story...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

It's not so bad, Aidan. My keyboard weighs about the same as the FP-7, and there's always someone willing to take the other end. One thing I would not recommend is a 40 lb flight case! Weather protection with wheels will do. Think about it, we drag our own children down the sidewalk and toss them into the car with less fear.

Even though the manager of the local Guitar Center invited me personally to come in to look at some post T-day sale stuff, Donald is NOT going to venture out into the war zone of the local shopping area. At least not without a Humvee, fully armed.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

gangsu said: One thing I would not recommend is a 40 lb flight case. Weather protection with wheels will do.

I just had a keybed replaced on a P80 Yamaha (under warranty)and the tech who did the job said he sees many, many keyboards coming in with broken keys, almost all of them broken from being dropped or bumped into while being carried in soft bags. The tech said he has never seen a broken key from a board being transported in a hard side case. You don't need a 40 lb. ATA hard case. They do make lighter weight ATA style cases with wheels. And these cases will give your keyboard much greater protection than a soft bag with wheels.

gangsu said: One thing I would not recommend is a 40 lb flight case. Weather protection with wheels will do.

I just had a keybed replaced on a P80 Yamaha (under warranty)and the tech who did the job said he sees many, many keyboards coming in with broken keys, almost all of them broken from being dropped or bumped into while being carried in soft bags. The tech said he has never seen a broken key from a board being transported in a hard side case. You don't need a 40 lb. ATA hard case. They do make lighter weight ATA style cases with wheels. And these cases will give your keyboard much greater protection than a soft bag with wheels.

It all depends on what vehicle you're transporting the keyboard in and how rough you are on it loading in and out of places. I used the same softcase with wheels for my Korg SP 100 for seven years and it was never subject to any damage because of the light case. I was careful with the board though. If it had been in a heavy case my gigging life would have been much more hellish, not to mention it wouldn't have fit in my old Saturn anyway.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

It all depends on what vehicle you're transporting the keyboard in and how rough you are on it loading in and out of places. I used the same softcase with wheels for my Korg SP 100 for seven years and it was never subject to any damage because of the light case. I was careful with the board though. If it had been in a heavy case my gigging life would have been much more hellish, not to mention it wouldn't have fit in my old Saturn anyway.

Exactly, Bobadoshe! There's the certain hell of trying to lift it vs the extra time it takes to be careful. No one's arguing that it could be easily damaged otherwise.

3 years here.

BTW, I've seen sun damage to lighter weight molded cases. Warped beyond the ability to close. I'm happy with my zippered, well-padded, wheeled, precision-fit GEM bag.

Archived