Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice for an ignorant guitarist...

picker

I'd say we ned to lighten up here. In the words of GAS, lets have a beer!

ProfD is correct, live music as it once was is no more for the reasons he stated. There is are so many entertainment alternatives and lots of competition with different music genres and several different themes that what use to be bars use now, like Sports Bars. Most "bars" have declining revenue because of stiffer DUI laws and changing life style trends. So smaller clubs want to pay the same amount of money to live musicians that they did 30 or 40 years ago, or find some other way to entertain their clients. And of course there are still musicians that are still willing to play for the fun of it, because they have a day job to pay the bills, or they want "exposure". You name it.

I've been faced with the same things and have had to make decisions on if/how I can fit into any potential live music venue. If I am going to compete with what music options are available in my area, I HAVE to use backing tracks. I didn't make the rules, but I if I want to be in the game, I have to play by them.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been faced with the same things and have had to make decisions on if/how I can fit into any potential live music venue. If I am going to compete with what music options are available in my area, I HAVE to use backing tracks. I didn't make the rules, but I if I want to be in the game, I have to play by them.

Mike T.

Good point. Either round up a few cats willing to play for peanuts or stay home. Middle ground is get to programming tracks and/or learn how to DJ. :laugh:

There are inexpensive hardware and software solutions that enable a musician to make backing tracks, convert to WAVs, mp3s, etc.

Who knows, that gig could serve as a calling card to local musician(s) to join up. Hopefully, the gig doesn't get so lucrative to the point of not wanting to hire anybody else. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Which is preferable to the listening audience?

1) A diskclavier driving a real acoustic piano

2) A human pianist playing a digital piano

I would argue #1.

Busch.

There's a huge electronics store by my house located on the south end of the strip and for some reason they have one of these Yamaha's in there playing all the time. Every time I go in I stand next to it while this thing plays jazz tunes. It's fascinating to watch and hear it spit back Oscar.

Hey Picker...I'm a guitar player and you would've seen me at the Guitar Forum.

Tell me what you think of this...

I've been playing guitar since 1974, played a lot of clubs for a lot of years and to be honest...got sick of damn good players that wound up being no shows, drunks and druggies and morons in general.

Many musicians are full of themselves, prima donnas, and are general ego maniacs because that's just the nature of the beast. :D

Some musicians have the mental capacity to KNOW and understand that, and some don't. :D

Combine that with raising 2 kids, getting them through college and keeping your great marriage just that...sometimes like me, you just run out of time as well. :D

So I ran smack into the same situation your opening post described.

I also live out in the semi country and driving to practice sometimes...just isn't practical.

So do we STOP playing?

Hell no. We make due...and that's OK. :)

I started off slowly.

I had to learn a little computer because I bought some hardware that interfaced with my computer...MBOX....and then learned a little ProTools...which is the software that came with the MBOX.

Bottom line...not too much of a bear.

The reason I mention that is...that I create my own backing tracks to play along with.

I am in the process of teaching myself some BACK GROUND keyboards and am progressing decently...nothing to write home to mom about though...but adequate. :D

So to make a long story short, I have a Roland DR-880 drum machine which also has a built in programable bass machine AND...and Bass modeller that I can plug my bass guitar into and play the bass myself.

I start off by setting up a session on ProTools on the computer and lay down my drum tracks.

Then...I may go with acoustic or electric guitar tracks or bass tracks.

After that...I may lay down some sythesizer tracks be it what ever may come to mind.

After that...vocals or intrumental solos.

Hey...mix it down a little and you're done.

This is what you may want AFTER that process.

Transfer those backing tracks to a LAPTOP computer and run them through your PA System when you play clubs.

They would be in the form of an MP3 and you could use them very easily and they sound great.

It sounds more complicated than it is....but the MBOX cost me $499.

It's nothing more than a 2 channel mixer that allows you to take your analog sound, turn it into digital media, and record it on your computer.

Really, all you need is bass, drums and guitar and you could get by quite well.

Also, the one unit one other guy put up really is an electronic box of instruments that you can use without having to be able to play them.

Maybe someone else could explain this process easier than I can, but it's not hard at all.

I'll put up some pics of what I'm using.

Give us some more SPECIFICS of what you think you need, and maybe we can help you better.

Randy :)

"Just play!"

Here you go...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/9/0/2/481902.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-Dr.-Rhythm-DR880-Rhythm-Machine?sku=707054

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/9/4/8/287948.jpg

"Just play!"

Right now I can't find people to play with that want to work at it, not just play the same ol' crapola the same ol' way a lifetime....

So I'm about to buy a classical guitar and work on some solo pieces.

I think most of us would prefer to play in a great band of talented people without serious substance problems who can be at practices and gigs on a regular basis, not "let me ask my wife if it's OK with her....." (Yes I'm married too, but without kids, which I know changes the equation!)

It's not always that easy to find that situation!

Eric:

Those are the age-old problems with putting together a group, and keeping the music fresh. Its so difficult to get people on the same schedule so everyone can get together and learn new tunes. For most of us, music is a side line. A lot musicians have day jobs to pay the bills, and have to squeeze music in where time allows.

There are those, as well as other reasons I went solo back in the late seventies. No substitute for being ABLE to work as a solo. People can call me any name they want because I use backing tracks to play and sing along with. Don't care. I can accept or reject a gig if its not right for any reason, take a "break" from booking gigs when I want to go on vacation, and more importantly, play the music I want to play. At the end of the night whatever money I booked the job for is mine.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived