Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remembering a good friend.....

Dave Ferris

I found this last night.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P_aq-guDgVo

This is an old clip of a dear friend who tragically passed away at the height of his career in 1996. His name was Chuck Sabatino.

Chuck, Michael and I all attended the same high school in St. Louis. They both were a grade ahead of me.

I first saw Chuck and Michael singing together when I was 14 years old.

They were in one of St. Louis's premier soul bands, Jerry Jay and the Sheratons.

Michael shortly thereafter moved out to Ca., paid some dues has a songwriter, hooked up w/ Steely Dan, Doobies, etc. and the rest is history.

Chuck was a fixture on the St. Louis and Southern/Central Illinois scene all through the 70's in such top groups as, Jake Jones and A Full Moon Consort, of which I had the privilege to be a member in the final installment. He had a one of a kind voice, he was a great songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. A very charismatic, magnetic personality that drew everyone in, everyone knew and loved Chuck!

Chuck is doing the James Ingram part from the original recording.

The little Italian guy (some said he reminded them of Danny Devito) w/ a voice like Pavarotti!

Man....I miss that guy, what a talent!

Life can be so goddamn unfair.....it really is a time to count our blessings this Thanksgiving.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P_aq-guDgVo

I found this last night...

This is an old clip of a dear friend who tragically passed away at the height of his career. His name was Chuck Sabatino.

Chuck, Michael and I all attended the same high school in St. Louis.

I first saw Chuck and Michael singing together when I was 14 years old. They were in one of St. Louis's premier soul bands,

Jerry Jay and the Sheratons.

Michael shortly after moved to Ca. and the rest is history.

Chuck was a fixture on the St. Louis scene all through the 70's in such top groups as, Jake Jones and A Full Moon Consort, of which I had the privilege to be a member. He had a one of kind voice, he was a great songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.

Chuck is doing the James Ingram part from the original recording.

Danny Devito w/ a voice like Pavarotti!

Man....I miss that guy, what a talent!

Thanks for sharing and a cool tribute in remembrance to him. You put a smile on his face and he was looking down on you! :thu:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

John....

Funny thing...he lived in Whittier at 8210 S. College from the time he moved to LA in '78 till his stroke in '94. Barbara, Chuck's wife, moved them and their two kids back to the Belleville, Ill. area after a few years so they could all be closer to more family for support.

speaking of internet.....I just dug this up.

http://rockclassics.tripod.com/jakejone.html

Phil Jost and Chuck were close cohorts for many years in Jake Jones. The band was a mixture of ELP-Moody Blues-Jetro Tull.

Funny thing..the song that was released as a single from their record had nothing to do with the style of the band...which was very "English" sounding. Strange for St. Louis circa 1970.

Phil, back in the day, was a monster keyboardist in the Keith Emerson tradition. He was THE rock god at that time and the FIRST guy around to have a Mellotron. (at least in St. Louis) I see Phil every so often at Namm when he comes out.

I'm leaving for St. Louis Friday for the holiday, when I get back I'll try and convert some old tapes and LPs to MP3 so everyone can hear Chuck's songs and great voice.

Mate, I was in the last installment around '76-'78 I think it was.

Right after the band broke up, they all moved to LA, I came out in '79.

Man, we MUST have met at some point then. I left the area for good and went on the road in July '77. Before that I was living across the river north of Alton and playing with Skyhigh for a couple years in all the local places - Muddy Waters, Rusty Springs, The Granary, Collinsville Ballroom, Stonehenge, etc.

And before that back to about 1973 I was in Slaughterhouse, a regional act doing originals and trying to get signed. We were buddies with Irv Zuckermann at Contemporary and were doing shows at the American Theatre with BTO and Keil Auditorium with Black Oak and Peter Frampton.

I know I came out to see you guys and must have introduced myself. Small world.

Moe

---

John....

Funny thing...he lived in Whittier at 8210 S. College from the time he moved to LA in '78 till his stroke in '94. Barbara, Chuck's wife, moved them and their two kids back to the Belleville, Ill. area after a few years so they could all be closer to more family for support.

Oh my god you are joking. If this is uptown whittier, then that is right down the street from my walnut street house my family lived in until a few years ago. So I was neighbors with this gentleman and have probably seen or met him and his family somewhere around town. It really is a small world. And now that I think of it, we actually lived ACROSS THE STREET from him in a back house in 84 and 85 right on College!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

John

Chuck and Michael two great voices... one known and one unknown till now. Thanks Dave F.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived