Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What's cookin'?

Mark Zeger

I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I've made the same recipes for many years:

Herb rubbed turkey

Stuffing with wild mushrooms and hazelnuts

Pan gravy with sherry and rosemary

Mashed sweet potatoes with apples

Oven roasted brussel sprouts

Green beans w/garlic

Whole cranberry sauce (right out of the can)

Pies made at the farm market near my house

Sometimes I'll add a green salad with pears and pecans, with an apple cider vinaigrette. I'll open a bottle of Pinot Noir, or a Rhone style blend, or a Riesling with dinner.

What's cookin' at your house? I'm looking for new ideas.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having dinner at the in-laws, so I don't have to do much cooking. All I'm bringing is my Sweet Potato Cassorole.

Mashed sweet potatoes mixed with butter, brown sugar, eggs, various spices, similar to Pumpkin pie, with a topping made of finely chopped pecans, brown sugar and butter, then bake the whole thing. I can never seem to make enough, and there's never any leftovers. PM me, and I can give you the recipe.

Although my wife wants me to make dinner for us at home the next day so we can have leftovers.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yummmmmmmm.

errrr, I thought you'd never ask.

We always go for the traditional. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we do have dishes that are specific to the area.

Around here we often have collard greens... and turnip greens. Ewwww they smell so nasty when they are cooking. They are usually seasoned with fatback and eaten with hot pepper vinegar. I love 'em.

Home made biscuits are usually on the table... along with home made jams and preserves.

Of course the ham & turkey.

We tried deep frying the turkey a couple of years. It was pretty good. Nevertheless, we've gone back to the traditional baking of the bird.

I've never heard of putting apples in with your sweet potatoes. Here we usually just bake them with a topping of marshmallows.

We have both plain and oyster dressing - always.

And, of course, sweet iced tea. That goes without saying. :)

Wait, I'll think of more.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Wierd Thanksgiving for me. Parents are not able to cook. Nephiew going out of town that morning but leaving the wife and kids to come to my parents' house. I'm leaving that evening for Florida so I will be packing at the same time I am cooking and trying not to leave a mess or leftovers. So, me and my sister are splitting the duties and taking the food to my parent's house.

Sister

Ham

Sweet Potatoe Cassarole

Sweet Potatoe Bread

Green Beans

Me

Turkey Breast

Dressing

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Mac and Cheese Cassarole

Corn

Cranberry/Pinapple Salad

Rolls

I will be cheating a bit by baking the turkey breast the night before. I learned long ago that turkey is better if it is sliced and deboned, places in a deep container, and covered with broth to soak overnight. It makes it real moist and as long as it is covered in broth it reheats well in the microwave.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

For the sweet potatoes, I peel and boil them while baking peeled Granny Smith apples with brown sugar and cinnamon. Mash the potatoes and baked apples together with a small grating of nutmeg. If needed, I add a little warm apple cider to get it smooth. No butter or cream (we have a Kosher home so there's no dairy used in my Thanksgiving cooking).

I saw a great idea, similar to Nightime's, on Iron Chef last night. Mashed sweet potatoes with whole cranberries and pecans added, with a crumb topping (flour, brown sugar, butter). They were baked off in individual dishes. I'd need to use margarine instead of butter, and I hate margarine.

Green beans w/garlic

No no no. Green beans are to be cooked with country ham. :)

Bag of whole cranberries, cup of sugar, can of crushed pinapple, little bit of orange juice, maybe throw in a few pecans. Cook until cranberries pop. Taste to make sure you have enough sugar. Let it chill overnight. Better than anything you will find in a can. :P

Robert

Where in Florida are you headed?

Orlando mostly. I still have time left on my Disney season pass and want to get another week out of it. I go mostly to walk, and I do a lot of walking. This will also be a chance to get some use out of my new Cannon Rebel XTi camera. (see other thread) From there I will make side trips to Clearwater Beach, Vero Beach and head to Lake Wales to take pictures of the place my parents had been spending the winters. They went there to fish every winter for 20 years before their health declined. In case of rain I plan to take my MacBook, a controller keyboard and a training series on Ableton Live. :)

I gave notice at work that if the weather is nice when I leave Florida I may take the long way home and head over to Louisiana on I-10 before turning north and coming back to SE Kentucky. That is good for a couple extra days on the road but I have never been to Louisiana. My previous trip there was interrupted by the hurricane.

I do The Bird, the cornbread/sage sausage stuffing, the sour cream/green onion/garlic mashed potatoes and the green beans almondine myself. :cool:

I've actually taken to baking the stuffing outside the bird. I want to believe it's better in the bird, but it's really actually not true, IMO...I like a drier stuffing, and cooking it in the bird can make it really soogy. Also, baking it separately lets me put little tangerines, pearl onions and cloves of garlic in the bird...which makes the bird, the drippings and the gravy way mo' better. :thu:

My best friend does the apple pie and carmelitas, my wife's sister does the pumpkin pie and snickerdoodles. The wife does the appetizers (brie en croute, veggie tray), the cranberry sauces (one with wine, one without),the gravy and the Parker House rolls.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Going to my brother's in beautiful Chester, NJ. They always do a good job. One year he smoked the turkey. While it was a little frightening to look at, it was some of the best bird I ever had. This year it will be conventional.

Wife is bringing a stove-top cranberry sauce. I will bring the wine. Watch football, sip a little sav blanc, play with my kids, a nice day! :thu:

My brother's coming up from Charlotte with the wife and kid, and I adore my little Southern belle niece.

Oh, and I almost forgot: BIG CARD GAME at my house Wednesday. Huge game. Lots of ACTION. Gambling. Tradition. Side bets. I love it!

Regards,

Joe

Green beans w/garlic

No no no. Green beans are to be cooked with country ham. :)

If I could find country ham that doesn't come from a pig, I'd be all over that.:D

Bag of whole cranberries, cup of sugar, can of crushed pinapple, little bit of orange juice, maybe throw in a few pecans. Cook until cranberries pop. Taste to make sure you have enough sugar. Let it chill overnight. Better than anything you will find in a can. :P

I'm the only one who'll be eating cranberry sauce. I tried homemade once before, when we had company for dinner. Same deal: cranberries, sugar, orange zest and fresh orange juice. I can't justify the time/effort only for me. I suppose I could add some orange zest and juice to the Ocean Spray stuff, but I'm OK with it as is.

Where in Florida are you headed?

Orlando mostly. I still have time left on my Disney season pass and want to get another week out of it. I go mostly to walk, and I do a lot of walking. This will also be a chance to get some use out of my new Cannon Rebel XTi camera. (see other thread) From there I will make side trips to Clearwater Beach, Vero Beach and head to Lake Wales to take pictures of the place my parents had been spending the winters. They went there to fish every winter for 20 years before their health declined. In case of rain I plan to take my MacBook, a controller keyboard and a training series on Ableton Live. :)

I gave notice at work that if the weather is nice when I leave Florida I may take the long way home and head over to Louisiana on I-10 before turning north and coming back to SE Kentucky. That is good for a couple extra days on the road but I have never been to Louisiana. My previous trip there was interrupted by the hurricane.

I'll be playing Sunday afternoon in Sebastian, about halfway between Melbourne and Vero Beach at Earl's Hidaway. The parking lot's back entrance is on US1. If you can make it by, the first round's on me.

Weather's supposed to be 79 with a 30% chance of rain. Normal for this time of year.

Willie Dixon

Green beans w/garlic

I always do my fresh green beans with smoked bacon and onions. Cut up the bacon into small bits and brown is the saucepan. Then add the onions and carmelize. Then the green beans, and let them simmer on low heat until done.

Willie Dixon

I always do my fresh green beans with smoked bacon and onions. Cut up the bacon into small bits and brown is the saucepan. Then add the onions and carmelize. Then the green beans, and let them simmer on low heat until done.

Oooooh - I like the sound of that...may have to try that instead of the almondine.

Nice one - thanks!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Since I don't have a clue what will be served up by the folks I am visiting in Alabama and all I know is "we are gonna get swole up and lay like broccoli." I am going to quote the immortal words of Grampa Jones from Hee Haw... someone mention Junior Samples?

Hey Grampa What's for supper?

Well we got buttermilk biscuits smothered in giblet gravy, home fried potatoes and fried green tomatoes, collard greens, and turkey, and Gramma's fresh baked blueberry pie a'la mode,

Grampa Jones 10-20-1913/ 2-19-1998

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

2 - 48 hour brined 10 lb. turkey breasts in my oil-drum smoker (6 hours, at least), 2 kinds of stuffing/dressing, lots of veggies and salads, fresh home made Parker House rolls, mashed potatoes of course, fresh cranberry-orange relish, pecan and pumpkin pies, and a couple bottles of good Zinfandel.

All day Hammond organ CD's for background music and I must not forget the "Tofurky" roast for the token hippie-vegetarians in the family.

If anybody survives the meal intact amongst the musicians, we'll jam a little later in the evening.

Herbal medication will be available all day. This is California after all. :o)

I'm giving thanks for the best wife in the world, having my health and my new Hammond organ.

XKDave

My wife's from Albuquerque, and she does a vicious SW bird in a Nesco. Green chile stuffing, green chile cornbread, homemade gravy, wild rice, carmelized carrots, mashed spuds, sweet potatoes. She's not a baker, so I go find some kind of pie.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My wife's from Albuquerque, and she does a vicious SW bird in a Nesco. Green chile stuffing, green chile cornbread, homemade gravy, wild rice, carmelized carrots, mashed spuds, sweet potatoes. She's not a baker, so I go find some kind of pie.

I lived in Albuturkey for five years, your post got me to droolin', kin I fly out to Chicago?

I usually get a corndog at the corner gas station, but since it's Thanksgiving, I may have.... two.

j/k, having the traditional spread with What's-her-name. One twist we enjoy (and showing my NM streak) is finely mincing a chipotle pepper, and stirring that in with the sweet potatoes. Heaven! :thu:

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

We just found out this weekend we're making thanksgiving dinner for most of my wifes family. Yikes! It's fun, and we love to cook, but the short notice was kinda annoying.

We'll do the usual Turkey (all-organic though), stuffing, mashed spuds, gravy etc. But we will be making a Chilean squash souffle with our butternut squash from the garden, red & greem peppers, corn, cumin, coriander, chile powder, cayenne. Yum!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Cooking for my (almost) 90 year old Grandfather. Gotta spend that time while I still can...

Mine's 92. 'cept he's my Father.

What's on the menu?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Cooking for my (almost) 90 year old Grandfather. Gotta spend that time while I still can...

Mine's 92. 'cept he's my Father.

What's on the menu?

Well, pretty typical. Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, cranberries (fresh similar to the recipe above), mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato pie. My wife makes a sweet potato pie that would make you drive cross country for another slice. She does most of the prep and cooking, but I do most of the seasoning. My family's from way north in Wisconsin, so laying some of that southern soul on them like my wife might want to probably wouldn't go over with my aunts and uncles, but Grandpa's from Florida, so you never know, might be right up his alley... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I must not forget the "Tofurky" roast for the token hippie-vegetarians in the family.

Friends shouldn't let friends eat Tofurky.

Here is a link to vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes from NY Times online. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/14/dining/14appe.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin

(You might need to register. It's free but you may have to pay for articles after 2 weeks.)

These look GREAT:

- Cornbread and broccoli rabe strata

- Pumpkin, white bean, and kale ragout

- Curried lentils with sweet potatoes and swiss chard

Archived