Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequencing for Roland RD 700SX

Mickey Keys

I'm giving serious thought to this board but I have a question... since there is no onboard sequencer but the RD can play SMFs, does anybody know if sequences have to be written in a certain way, or does some sort of Roland-specific patch map or whatever have to be installed on the computer being used to write the sequence?

Specifically, I want to sequence the synth intro to "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", and to have the sequence use the Chime Bell and Wind voices, and layer several synth voices to make it as authentic as possible. I'd also be interested in using sequences to supplement other live performances on occasion - as rarely as possible, mind you; I'm just considering triggering the intro to start a set and have the band take the stage as the lights gradually come up.

Mind you, it's not a deal-breaker; I love the piano and still would be seriously interested whether or not this were possible. My SO8 synth already does a respectable job with the sequence but I am so DONE with Yamaha... I have come to genuinely hate the board, rue the day I bought it, and want to trade up so badly I can taste it.

-Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the 700SX is a great board. I had it for a while.

An external sequencer or program is needed. Whenever it happens, I'm looking forward to the next Roland 'flagship' which "should" incorporate a sequencer and internal speakers similar to the ones in the FP's.

Thanks for answering... I did know a program was needed to write the file, I was just trying to find out if anyone could say how closely the patches in a GM program would be likely to line up with the patches on the RD; that is to say, if I sequence a song using a synth brass patch for the melody and the RD plays it back with, say, a tympani, that could be rather embarassing.

I agree with you that it's a great board, and from what I can see 10x more user friendly for my purposes than anything else I've seen. For example, I've had that damn SO8 and an Alesis QS 7.1 for about five years now, and I still can't get a satisfactory Hammond with Leslie out of either one - one where I can actually manipulate "tonebars" and Leslie speed in real time. It took me less than two minutes in front of the Roland.

I'm just not a "synth geek" I guess... NO offense, honestly. I have no doubt most of the synth-savvy readers on this forum could make those boards SING and are chuckling away right now. Hats off to those of you who have the temperament for it, seriously; I don't, and I'm just SO done trying.

SK, you said "had"... any particular reason you and the RD parted company?

-Mike

"SK, you said "had"... any particular reason you and the RD parted company?"

Only that the FP4 has the same piano sound at less weight and money, plus a sequencer and internal speakers. The 700SX has more sounds though and a nicer layout with LCD screen, etc. I was happy with the 700X but was offered a good price for it.

"SK, you said "had"... any particular reason you and the RD parted company?"

Only that the FP4 has the same piano sound at less weight and money, plus a sequencer and internal speakers. The 700SX has more sounds though and a nicer layout with LCD screen, etc. I was happy with the 700X but was offered a good price for it.

You know, somehow I thought that was what you would say... Thanks for the input. What attracts me to the RD is the fact that I can intuitively create "setups" in two to five minutes that took 15-20 on the other boards with a manual open in front of me. And the ability to control and fade sounds in/out on the fly practically makes me drool.

I gotta figure out a way to make these numbers work...

-Mike

I agree on the action, its the most positive feel Ive found on a dp. I took my 700 on 2 gigs (w/help carrying) it, and it plays very well, the groups I used it w/loved it. 1 was a quintet jazz thing where it covered the acc/rhodes stuff nicely, other was a 7 piece pop horn thing, found that I didnt need to bring the 2080 as the sounds in the 700 covered everything.

Archived