Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another "Name That Geetar" Thread!

Kramer Ferrington III.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, and there's so MANY controls too, I can see at least 4 (assuming the things on the half moon on the belly of the guitar are controls and not just decorations) Why would you need so many controls for the one pickup? Unless there's another pickup hidden by the guy's arm?

I strongly suspect that is a Stratosphere Twin, a double neck made by the short-lived Stratosphere Guitar Company of Springfield Mo. They were made in the mid to late 50's, and th company folded up like a cheap suit very shortly after it opened, so there weren't very meany made. I've seen one up close, and the fret markers on that guy's neck look the same. The two sets of controls divided by a switch, and the weird butt-end of the guitar look like what I saw, too.

Jimmy Bryant used one on a song called Stratosphere Boogie. He had the twelve string neck tuned in fifths or fourths instead of octaves and he played a long harmony line on it. It was really a killer tune. I looked all over the internet to find a picture, but couldn't. Guitar Player had an article on Jimmy Bryant and a soundpage of Stratosphere Boogie sometime in 1986.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I strongly suspect that is a Stratosphere Twin, a double neck made by the short-lived Stratosphere Guitar Company of Springfield Mo. They were made in the mid to late 50's, and th company folded up like a cheap suit very shortly after it opened, so there weren't very meany made. I've seen one up close, and the fret markers on that guy's neck look the same. The two sets of controls divided by a switch, and the weird butt-end of the guitar look like what I saw, too.

Jimmy Bryant used one on a song called Stratosphere Boogie. He had the twelve string neck tuned in fifths or fourths instead of octaves and he played a long harmony line on it. It was really a killer tune. I looked all over the internet to find a picture, but couldn't. Guitar Player had an article on Jimmy Bryant and a soundpage of Stratosphere Boogie sometime in 1986.

Appearing from left field, also circa 54, was the Stratosphere Twin from Springfield, Missouri. A doubleneck with a 12-string on top and six-string on bottom, the inventors of the Stratosphere used a tuning system for the 12-string neck that enabled guitar players to play harmony twin lines on one neck; a system that sounded great, but with a not-so-slight drawback: it required players to completely re-learn the guitar!

Predictably, the Stratosphere Twin sank without a trace, though West Coast studio ace Jimmy Bryant used it to great effect on two songs Stratosphere Boogie and Deep Water both released on Capitol in 54.

Today, the only player who has mastered the Stratosphere tuning system is T.K. Smith, who plays a Stratosphere Twin in his various L.A.-based country-jazz groups such as the Bonebrake Syncopators and the Smiths Ranch Boys.

It might be a Coral Danelelectro Sitar, but I can't find a pic?

Good call. I didn't notice until I paused the vid. but there ARE two pickups that look a LOT like Dano lipstick pickups. I only thought Coral Sitars came in a dark colour though. Still, even "Guitars From Neptune" is rather scanty on Coral Sitar pics.

Not sure it's a Coral though. The buttons are all in the wrong place.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&q=coral+sitar&btnG=Search+Images

Can't see the 2nd neck though?

I'm not seeing a second neck on that contraption either.

Whoever figures out exactly what it is should receive a forum condemnation...er, no I mean COMMENDATION, complete with a decorative plaque. :D

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I'd say it's a modified Stratosphere Twin with the lower "twin" removed.

Why the heck would anyone DO that? :o I mean, I thought the whole point of twin necks was that they had *cough* two necks?

Maybe he wanted to keep one in the gig bag as a spare?

I dunno. If you look closely, you can see where there was a spot for an additional bridge.

Maybe he wanted to keep one in the gig bag as a spare?

Yeah, maybe he got it next door to one of those men's shops that give you a spare pair of pants when you buy a suit. ;)

I dunno. If you look closely, you can see where there was a spot for an additional bridge.

It's one of those mysteries, isn't it?

What kind of condemnation do I get?

You positively identified it!!! Here's the official forum plaque:

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/data/hpb.home/media/images/haz/gumdisease_dentalplaque_tartar.gif

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived