Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O/T cut myself at work

Bytored

I accidentally cut myself at work yesterday adjusting a coolant line. I dragged my wrist across a boring bar and sliced it long ways from the base of the palm to about an inch onto my wrist! It's a good 2" slice. I though "oh crap, this is going to bleed like a stuck pig" but it didn't bleed a whole lot. just missed a vein luckily by a hair. I can still play I think but haven't tried. It hurts to move it back and forth but in playing position it should be ok.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No stitches. I will butterfly it and plus I used some stuff called New Skin, It's sort of like crazy glue with antiseptic properties. works good.

Yes it's fretting hand.

Yeah buddy, I was a motorcycle mechanic for over 23 years and so I was in your world a lot..... machining, welding, cutting, lifting heavy things, working around lot's of moving parts that want to rip your head off sometimes when the machine is pissed off.

Please be extra careful from today. It is just a job and not worth it to abuse or damage your body....ESPECIALLY because you are making some other prick rich at the risk of your own well being and health. Slow down.....they are not worth it.

No job is worth that.....I had back surgery because of mine....they are not getting anymore of me....screw them. I now work at my pace and if I want to think about something for a long time because I am unsure how it is going to react or what dangers there are....so be it. I will take my time. If it is too long for them they can replace me....I do not give a shit....my health is more important.

Yeah buddy, I was a motorcycle mechanic for over 23 years and so I was in your world a lot..... machining, welding, cutting, lifting heavy things, working around lot's of moving parts that want to rip your head off sometimes when the machine is pissed off.

Please be extra careful from today. It is just a job and not worth it to abuse or damage your body....ESPECIALLY because you are making some other prick rich at the risk of your own well being and health. Slow down.....they are not worth it.

No job is worth that.....I had back surgery because of mine....they are not getting anymore of me....screw them. I now work at my pace and if I want to think about something for a long time because I am unsure how it is going to react or what dangers there are....so be it. I will take my time. If it is too long for them they can replace me....I do not give a shit....my health is more important.

Yep Fumbles I will be extra careful, especially this weekend now that this morning during my weekly Salmon fishing trip I Almost fell overboard!!! Luckily I didn't go in as I fell backwards.

About work, Yeah the boss is gettin richer and it aint worth hurtin youself but he does share the wealth, Just learned that we are getting a bonus worth 34 days of pay, so the guy is a good person to work for but still you are right, not worth messing yourself up trying to bust out parts quickly.

I've heard that if you want to kill yourself to not cut your wrists across but up the arm because it is that much harder to stop. You are very fortunate. I'm glad it missed the good stuff.

I guess we've all seen the kid at camp who put his hand through a window and gets the spurter every time his heart beats. Not something you'll soon forget.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I've heard that if you want to kill yourself to not cut your wrists across but up the arm because it is that much harder to stop. You are very fortunate. I'm glad it missed the good stuff.

Wow, did not know that. I am always very careful when I stick my hand into the machines to change tools but sometimes they just get ya. It goes with the territory. Normally cuts from protruding tools end up on your palms or thumbs because it usually happens when you are pulling your hand out of the machine and it gets dragged across an adjacent tool, carbide endmills and boring bars are the one the bit the most. anyway today it seems to be doing better no bleeding just stings some. Probably wont be able to play this weekend due to the fact that the wife is using the guitar room for a study hall, last pre requisit for her RN class, probably better anyway 2 days not playing will give it time to heal.

Just remember that anytime you are feeling really good about things in general...this is the most dangerous time.....that false sense of security.....the feeling that one truly is good at one's work etc, feeling experienced blah blah.

You should constantly remind yourself how fast bad shit can happen and constantly be respectful of the machinery. It's not a fear, it is just being realistic and respectful.

I heard of a guy that had a grindstone shatter and a piece of it pierced his femoral artery. He would have bled out had not a couple guys seen it happen and came to his aid.

I have used grindstones with and without guards on them every day for 25 plus years and never seen a stone break in use. I found out you are supposed to "sound" them daily to listen for cracks. I never knew that.

The type of machinery you use is hardcore. A friend of mine was boring a motorcycle cylinder and his long hair got caught in it....that sucker whapped his head on it while it took out a chunk of scalp flesh with the hair on it.

Just last season one of our special EFX guys was cutting some aluminum for us on a table saw and lost the tip of his finger.

I can run a table saw no problema but I have lost my nerve on it LOL...I sound like a pussy I know but truth be told I feel I have gotten away with not really hurting my fingers for so long ( knock on wood ) that my number is up. I just have a carpenter in our mill do it for me when I need a piece ripped and nothing on this earth could get me to crosscut on one. I have done stupid stuff on a table saw in the past......no more.

I always just tell them....I am a guitar player and I am still trying to make it......I need all my fingers for that....LOL!

These guys always do it graciously because they would not want to see anyone hurt and also we all respect that we are not all good at everything so it is always nice to be able to help a brother by using your expertise to do something he is not good at. It is always reciprocated.

Actually, we take safety very seriously in my industry and especially at my particular job. It's great....we all look out for each other and hotheads do not last long.

Take care Bytored.

Thanks guys for the concern. It has heald up rather nicely, closed up completely. Today I can move the wrist around without it coming open.....yuk, thats gross.

Archived