Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st show coming up

yourlord

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think slow songs are harder for anyone that is actually listening to themselves!

Alex

P.S. My leg (well, one of the two) shook through most of my first gig - after a while I managed to ignore it and let it continue being strange whilst I got on with enjoying myself...

Playing slow is definitely much more difficult than playing fast.

It's like the difference between loud and quiet music... mistakes are more evident when the music is quieter. It takes more control to stay in time and maintain the right dynamics.

I've always been impressed by folks who could play soft and slow and really sell it. Someday I might actually be grown-up enough to do that. Yeah, right.

Anyway.. regarding stage fright... I understand about the irrationality of such a fear. It's like knowing there's no possible way there can be a shark in the swimming pool, but still getting an adrenalin rush from thinking about those HUGE jaws opening right behind you.

*turns around to check... just in case*

OK, no sharks. But ya never know.

The key is to turn that fear back on itself and use it in a constructive way--make yourself busy somehow until it's time to play. Clapton used to iron his suits. Some guys play cards. Others drink a few beers (I'm not recommending that one!) I actually like to nap in the van sometimes or read a book.

In your case, I'm telling you, by the time you guys get set up, soundchecked and ready to play, you'll have pretty much no time to be nervous before your first song starts.

One other thing... Respectfully, but contrary to what my man Slowfinger said, I wouldn't recommend noodling after you're set up. Soundguys HATE this! There's nothing more annoying then trying to clip mics onto drums and guitar cabs, etc, while someone's plunking away in your ear.

My recommendation? Get your rig set, plug in whatever effects you may have, get in tune, play your bass through your amp a little bit to make sure you have a decent signal coming through and then check your back-up bass for proper tuning. Then... either put your bass down on a stand... or turn down the volume on your bass all the way if you need to noodle and do something with your hands. I'd recommend this to your bandmates as well... Especially the drummer--having a snare going "CRACK-CRACK-POP-POW-CRACK" in your ear at close range is not pleasant... especially when you have to deal with it every night. Your band can be the exception and be the less noisy pre-soundcheck band. You will be remembered as a professional act.

Also, while it's sometimes beneficial to tape your cables to the floor, remember to use gaffer tape for this application, not duct tape. Duct tape will leave crazy amounts of residue on your cables. Then the residue collcts dirt, bar napkins and such... Gross.

One other thing... in the future, you may want to consider putting a "bash you right in the face with a brick" type of song in the beginning of your set. That gets people's attention right off the bat. Starting off slow and building up momentum is cool if you know for sure that everyone will stay and watch your whole set no matter what, but if you're playing for a new audience, it's important to grab them right off the bat and make an impression right away. A good move is to have the opening song start with a vocal cue or very noticeable short solo instrument intro... but not (and I repeat NOT) a stick-click-four count from the drummer. Put some thought into the very first musical impression folks will get from you. A "four count" sounds like rehearsal, but a short instrumental intro or vocal cue sounds and looks like a SHOW.

Beyond these bits of advice... I know it's pointless to tell you not to worry (because you will, anyway,) but I'm telling you... it'll be fine.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Our first song is a 2.5 minute radio friendly song that is the same 2 riffs over and over the entire time. It's a lot of vocals, and a catchy upbeat tune. After that one they get slow. It's meant to be the attention grabber, then hopefully we can hold it through 1 2/3 slow, 1/3 fast song, then we do a short cover, then we do one of our somewhat fast songs, then a really slow song then high gear the rest of the way.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

A good move is to have the opening song start with a vocal cue or very noticeable short solo instrument intro... but not (and I repeat NOT) a stick-click-four count from the drummer. Put some thought into the very first musical impression folks will get from you. A "four count" sounds like rehearsal, but a short instrumental intro or vocal cue sounds and looks like a SHOW.

I like this advice. I never thought of it. We start with Pride and Joy or Gimmie Three Steps usually, so it starts with the guitar lick, but this was an accident. They are good, "get the nerves out" songs...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

One other thing... Respectfully, but contrary to what my man Slowfinger said, I wouldn't recommend noodling after you're set up. Soundguys HATE this! There's nothing more annoying then trying to clip mics onto drums and guitar cabs, etc, while someone's plunking away in your ear.

My recommendation? Get your rig set, plug in whatever effects you may have, get in tune, play your bass through your amp a little bit to make sure you have a decent signal coming through and then check your back-up bass for proper tuning. Then... either put your bass down on a stand... or turn down the volume on your bass all the way if you need to noodle and do something with your hands. I'd recommend this to your bandmates as well... Especially the drummer--having a snare going "CRACK-CRACK-POP-POW-CRACK" in your ear at close range is not pleasant... especially when you have to deal with it every night. Your band can be the exception and be the less noisy pre-soundcheck band. You will be remembered as a professional act.

+1

The first several songs are slow and melodic, with a distinct bass line that outlines the general melody, and a mistake there really stands out..

I know it might not help your irrational fear but,in my experience, very few audience members recognise that you have made a mistake. I should know, I make enough! ;)

... when I make mistakes, they're usually good ones.. Like, totally off key, some horrible percussive thing, or my worst is forgetting the song ...

My favourite bludner is playing one fret out - easy to do in a darkish room. And the ones I have most trouble playing right are the ones everyone knows - like 'Johhny B Goode' - I tend to play on cruise control and loose track of where I'm at or even what Chuck Berry song it is.

Now, don't take too much notice of someone who has been playing only 2 years and had only a dozen or so gigs.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

The key is to turn that fear back on itself and use it in a constructive way--make yourself busy somehow until it's time to play. Clapton used to iron his suits. Some guys play cards.

Carly Simon once had the whole band give her a spanking before going on stage so that the pain would make her forget her stage fright. :o

Why wasn't I in that band? :evil:

I have played a whole song in the wrong key. i played in the key it was recorded in, the guitarist played in the key we agreed to play in. Oops... Sounded bad. I thought the sound system just sucked, never thought that it was me...
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

The key is to turn that fear back on itself and use it in a constructive way--make yourself busy somehow until it's time to play. Clapton used to iron his suits. Some guys play cards.

Carly Simon once had the whole band give her a spanking before going on stage so that the pain would make her forget her stage fright. :o

Why wasn't I in that band? :evil:

Sounds like a dream gig! ;)

One of my friends pointed out after our most recent gig, that if we wouldn't smile so broadly after each error, he would never know that we made one. There's no pleasing some people ;)

yourlord, you'll do fine. You've been working up to this moment, man, and this will be your moment. No matter what happens next or what anyone says afterwards (good or bad), the moment will be all yours. It's one helluva ride, so enjoy it. After all, you only get one first gig ;)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

It's almost like earning your first dollar except you paid out probably thousands in equipment, rehearsal space, strings etc.

We will obviously expect the full report from you Sunday okay, maybe Monday with pictures... you did hire a photographer right?

Good luck tonight.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Well, we pulled it off! We went on about 10pm and managed to pull it out without any major catastrophes.. I flubbed a couple of notes, but nothing so bad you would really notice.. The drummer broke 2 sticks and his timing wavered a little as he recovered, the rhythm guitarist's guitar quit for a bit halfway through the 2nd from last song, and the singer and rhythm guitarist changed on the last song too soon so we had to cover that up, but all in all it went pretty darn good. No train wrecks, and what I mentioned is about the only thing I can point at as being non optimal. We had em screaming, dancing and moshing..

One part that really got em going was we played Metallica's "Creeping Death", which we basically pulled off with virtually no

flaws. At the end of it I stepped up to the backup vocal mic and said "we miss ya cliff", which got some of the crowd into yelling his name. That was cool..

Load in and load out wasn't fun, but the place had a lift to get the gear up to the level we were playing on.

I'm glad I took my full rig. The stage was very roomy so it helped fill out space. We definitely had the better back line of any of the bands there that night.

Pictures and some crappy videos are available on our site under the Image Gallery link.

I can't wait until next Saturday when we do it all again =D

One of my favorite pics my wife took:

http://www.delusionalmind.com/images/showswork/thm_000000_img_0781.jpg

Delusional Mind

I never got too badly frazzled to be honest. No where near as bad as I was expecting. The nerves were worse waiting for our set to come up. I was nervous mind you, but once I got on the stage there was so much energy pumping that it was just unstoppable..

The nerves were there enough to effect my playing. I didn't play at my best last night, but it was good enough I don't think anyone was going to complain..

Had I been playing a fretted bass the effect on my tone and such would have been nonexistent. The worst note I hit all night was when the lights guy dropped the front lights suddenly and I couldn't see the fingerboard, so I guessed at the position and then the lights came up and I was smack in the middle of 2 notes, flat about 1/4 step. I rolled my finger up and moved on after that.. I was mindful to pay more attention to where my hands were after that as he nailed me with it right after not looking at my hands for a few moments and right on a position change..

Some guys there started throwing panties on the stage in the middle of the set.. That was a riot...

It was a blast. Even my wife had fun just watching.

Delusional Mind

Archived