Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new guitar but older stock?

tomtele

I've been looking into getting a LP Standard but I don't really like the ones out now. Anyone know of shops in California (preferably central or southern) that sell old stock Gibsons, I don't mean vintage but maybe around early 2000's. I've been playing strats since I've started and I wanted to try something new. Anyone used gbase before? I'm kind of skeptical with online transactions, bad experience...

I'm just curious, what do chain stores like guitar center and sam ash do with left-over guitars they don't sell that year?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about the stores in Cali, sorry. But, Guitar Center marks the stuff they don't sell down at the end of the year. I wouldn't expect to see a Les Paul marked down a whole lot, but on some stuff they do. I found a Variax 600 which lists for over a grand, and which Musician's Friend is selling for $799, marked down to $641 on their web site. It was listed as used gear, but it was just slow-moving stock, according to my guy at GC. And, they move stuff around from store to store to see if it will move in a different location. though.

For what it souneds like you're looking for, I'd say Ebay and Craig's list is where you'd most likely find it the quickest.

I got to ask, though, what differences do you see in the Les Paul's from 2000 and the ones coming out now?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Slow selling Les Pauls, at least those sanely priced, don't really exist, unless the color is hideous, or some other weirdness is there. Try finding an unsold 2006 'Vette - same thing.

I caution you not to purchase a LP online. Unless you're totally conversant with the specs, you could easily end up with something other than you expected. Besides, you need to play quite few to find the right one, even if the specs are the same.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I take it you've been seeing these in real-life, in stores- the LPs with finish colors that you don't like? Not pics online or catalog-photos?

What finishes/colors do you like?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

They won't be identical cuz from the Gibson video I saw, the edge "burst paint" are all hand-done. You really can't go by pictures either IMO, they seem to "brighten-up" the finishes.

Try to get to many shops as you can; I actually had one wrapped-up and ready to go and glanced at the wall and saw one I liked better. Pulled it down, played it and still own it 2 years later :)

Archived