Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for new keyboard

AndyH

Hi guys, total newbie here:

I'm after advice on what keyboard to buy but only require certain specs. The 'sounds' I'm after are limited to piano (grand, baby, upright, honky-tonk etc), organ (cheese, church, Hammond etc), brass (single, multi, orchestral) and strings. And, suffice it to say, I want these sounds as near to the real things as possible. What I'm not interested in is all the crappy whistles and bells (drums, effects, sythn sounds etc) that seem to come with the cheaper end of the market these days. Oh yes, and it also has to be portable and plug and play (for gigs).

Budget is not an issue but would prefer it to be around the £500 ($1000) mark.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

AndyH

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weighted 88 or synth action keys?

I think that SDS has given sound advice for both categories. You should go to a music store and play some keyboards to see what you like. Check out the Kurzweil PCX1x and Roland has some nice boards too.

I use a Roland weighted action piano and a Hammond XK-1. Both are just killer boards but way over your limit. The Hammond (1500 USD) is awesome, it does sound like a B-3.

Just remember.... you get what you pay for (most of the time)

This is not a time to skimp on things, buy the best, take care of it and they will last for years.

It's only Rock 'n Roll but I like it!

MO 8 or MO 6 depending on if you want 88 weighted or 61 synth action.

MO 6 would be about in line with your budget(Sweetwater or comparable)-MO 8 would cost a few hundred more.

The MO's,in case you didn't know,have the same sound engines as the Motif ES's except without the sampling.

MO 6 is about 23 pounds.The MO 8 probably shouldn't be more than 30,if that.

But per usual,your ears have to decide.

Based on all those sounds you mentioned, check out the Roland FP4 (it comes to no surprise to anyone here that I recommend it.) Excellent piano and good overall patches for other sounds, with applied leslie effects for organs. Roland's top acoustic piano sample in a paired down keyboard, with good weighted action and onboard speakers.

Just over $1,000, 33 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...
O how I wish we lived in the good US of A cos then the prices you quoted would be somewhere near the mark! As it is the FP4 is currently selling here (in the USS United Kingdom) for around £765, $1500, which is way beyond our price range!.....Hey-ho!!

Yea, for the rest of the world, the import tax, at least here in the Netherlands is 25 percent, and the VAT is 19 percent .... oh, and I forgot shipping the costs as well.

Now (at least in the Netherlands) when you buy an electronic device you pay an additional charge at time of purchase for the costs involved when you bring the item in question to the recycling center at the end of its life.

I do miss the US prices .... though there are ways around the duty and VAT. Feel free to contact me personally for a few ideas.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived