Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First synth.

Ash1987

Hey guys im new to the whole synth/keys thing having started learning just over a month ago on a friends terrible Yamaha PSR200. Anyway time has come that im looking into gettin my own synth probably at the end of this month or so and i have been looking at a few different models. Im off to the stores tomorrow to go try some out for myself but would like some opinions on the following if you would:

Roland Juno-D £330,

Yamaha MM6 £375,

Korg X-50 £470,

Alesis Fusion 6D £570,

Roland Juno-G £695,

Korg Triton TR61 £695,

Yamaha MO6 £700.

That also gives a general idea of my budget but i wouldn't really like to go over the £500/600 limit if possible.

Im looking to eventually gig with this when my playing is better.

Im a really big Rush fan so style i will be doing is simlar to that but also more lead work with original songs.

Finally for my needs are the latter 4 above really worth the extra money or would the others suffice?

Thx in advance.

www.myspace.com/midnightofficial

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the Fusion has the most features and also the biggest list of problems. Personally I'd consider other options. If you could find a used Yamaha S90, that would be the way to go. You may also see if you can find a used or new Yamaha Motif ES that would be another great option. I think these two are better than any of the options your currently considering. Of the list you have I would recommend the Korg TR61 or the Juno G.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Of all those listed, the most substantial of the bunch is the Triton. The user base is wide and deep, the sounds solid and useable for most genres. Or the Juno-G since it gives you more flexibility in playability with physical controls not buried in menu's, and it has the Fantom sound engine.

But before you buy, go see what is on the secondary market. I am not sure that prices are for an original Motif or Triton, but it might be well within your price range if buying used is an option as well.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

OK thanks all for the replies, I might go have a look at some used boards aswell now. Trouble is finding them as i want to try before i buy obviously, not many stores that i know of that stock alot of models without having to order though. I assume it's definatly worth paying the extra money for a better board then? Any advice as to what to look out for when going used besides obvious signs of abuse?

Besides the obvious things like how it was used, where and what type of environment it was kept it, studio or heavy gig use, also as whether it has been dropped, any issues with displays, output quality (i.e. deteriorated soldering for the oft used L/Mono output etc...).

Try Ebay (check sellers ratings...that typically is accurate) and Craigslist (local version-you might be able to go see the board before you buy) as well as local pawnshops that cater to music types like us. You might luck out and find a deal.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

OK, thanks for all the advice everyone. Finally tried some out today at another store and i think im going to go with the Juno-G. Been comparing that with the Triton mainly on the net and everything and it was standing out to me more and when i finally got them side by side today the Juno was still out there for me. So hopefully i'll be going to order this week and should have it for next. Then I just need to figure out how to use it to its full potential.And maybe even play it....well try. Thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/images/roland5.s.jpg

Is that a Moog Satellite?

Roland SH-1000

Used to have one, a long long time ago.

http://www.synthmuseum.com/moog/moosat01.jpg

Yeah I wasn't aware of the SH-1000. It's a satellite on steroids!!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Archived